Google announces 900 million Android activations, 48 billion app installs

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google on Wednesday announced that its Android mobile platform has seen 900 million total activations to date, while 48 billion applications have been installed on Android devices.

900M

The announcement was made by the search giant at its annual developers' I/O conference. To put the activations in scale, 100 million Android devices were activated as of 2011, while 400 million was reached in 2012.

The company also revealed at I/O that the company has paid out as much to developers so far in 2013 as it did in the entire year 2012.

Google also highlighted the fact that Android market penetration is less than 10 percent in many countries around the world. Sundar Pichai, senior vice president of Chrome and Android, noted that Android is seeing strong growth in these areas, and with nearly 7 billion people in the world, the platform has a great deal of room for growth.

Google's announcement of 48 billion application downloads comes as Apple is counting down to the 50 billionth iOS App Store download. The data shows that despite the fact that Android leads in global market share, Apple still has a slight edge in total application downloads.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I could have sworn Schmidt had already announced that it reached 1 billion, but I guess not.
  • Reply 2 of 81
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

How many of them are uninstalled immediately after the first run? 47 billion? Roughly.

• Reply 3 of 81

Better get the bigger screen little expensive phone like $225  with contract and cheaper phone along with 5S (4 and 4S are outdated cheaper phones with useless screen size compared to newer phones which includes iphone5) to dominate the whole market.  Give options to future users and get out of the ego. You are no longer THE Steve Jobs!

If Apple cannot get them, then the so called "ecosystem" will be in big trouble. Innovation plus adding options to the existing products is the way to go!

• Reply 4 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I could have sworn Schmidt had already announced that it reached 1 billion, but I guess not.

Google hype machine on steriods.  Stock will probably go up $30 today.

• Reply 5 of 81
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

Better get the bigger screen little expensive phone like $225  with contract and cheaper phone along with 5S (4 and 4S are outdated cheaper phones with useless screen size compared to newer phones which includes iphone5) to dominate the whole market.  Give options to future users and get out of the ego. You are no longer THE Steve Jobs!

If Apple cannot get them, then the so called "ecosystem" will be in big trouble. Innovation plus adding options to the existing products is the way to go!

Dear Jony,

could you please carry this Management Mantra to Tim Cook?  Also, let him know that he is not THE Steve Jobs.

• Reply 6 of 81
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Yawn.
  • Reply 7 of 81

Quote:

(4 and 4S are outdated cheaper phones with useless screen size compared to newer phones which includes iphone5)

And yet the dozens of people I know with the 4 and 4S seem to have little issue with the supposed "useless screen size".  By this logic most Android phones must be useless because the vast majority have screen sizes less than 4".

• Reply 8 of 81
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

How about un-activations? Un-installs? What's the net number, Google?

• Reply 9 of 81
    How many of them are real smartphone users ?
  • Reply 10 of 81
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member

How much of those are the crippled modern equivalent of feature phones and barely ever get used as smartphones (little or no web surfing, little or no app installs)? I would guess a lot. 10%? 25%? 50%?

Of course it's hard to blame Google for counting those devices even though they don't really compete with Apple.

Just because it runs Android doesn't mean it's relevant in the grand scheme of things. Those crippled Android do nothing to improve the Android ecosystem, and when the time comes for their users to buy a "real smartphone" they're as likely to get an iPhone rather than an Android high-end smartphone.

• Reply 11 of 81
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    900 million? Wow. That's a LOT of suckers.
    You're Google's product. You're just eyeballs on ads.
  • Reply 12 of 81
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

I have been pouding this too. To support the ecosystem you need to maintain critical mass. Since Apple is the only maker of iOS hardware it must do something about the low end in emerging markets. I dont care if they dont sell the low end phone is rich countries, but they need to offer something in China and India ASAP before its too late. Apple is getting is butt kick everywhere exept North America and the UK.

In rich countries, Apple need to come back on top and stop getting own in both hardware and software. Apple also need to expand the ecosystem, again, because its the only maker of iOS hardware. TV, game console, watch...   Its great to see them in cars now, but they need rapid expansion of the ecosystem. This may sound silly but they should buy Nest termostats, its a drop in the bucket but thats a good example of innovation.

At the mimimum they need partners for markets they dont want to get into, license iOS for those markets at least. They did it with cars. I cannot stress enough that the ecosystem is key here, at some point people will want an ecosystem that links everything.

• Reply 13 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

How about un-activations? Un-installs? What's the net number, Google?

I wish I could get a pair of youre pink glasses and believe what I see with them. I would be less nervous with my Apple LEAPS.

• Reply 14 of 81
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Better get the bigger screen little expensive phone like $225  with contract and cheaper phone along with 5S (4 and 4S are outdated cheaper phones with useless screen size compared to newer phones [blah blah blah]

You new here?  Because yeah, we're used to far more sophisticated trolling here at AI.

Not just copying and pasting buzzwords into a sentence or two.

And maybe you should get a better Korean -> English dictionary, m'kay?

• Reply 15 of 81
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I have been pouding this too. To support the ecosystem you need to maintain critical mass. Since Apple is the only maker of iOS hardware it must do something about the low end in emerging markets. I dont care if they dont sell the low end phone is rich countries, but they need to offer something in China and India ASAP before its too late. Apple is getting is butt kick everywhere exept North America and the UK.

In rich countries, Apple need to come back on top and stop getting own in both hardware and software. Apple also need to expand the ecosystem, again, because its the only maker of iOS hardware. TV, game console, watch...   Its great to see them in cars now, but they need rapid expansion of the ecosystem. This may sound silly but they should buy Nest termostats, its a drop in the bucket but thats a good example of innovation.

At the mimimum they need partners for markets they dont want to get into, license iOS for those markets at least. They did it with cars.

Yes, at low levels of margin for phones i.e. 10% on a $200 phone they would get more in licensing . Anyway, they have to do something or repeat history.

• Reply 16 of 81
    Having big number of people using android dont mean big revenue driver for google . Who really uses the service is .
  • Reply 17 of 81
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

You new here?  Because yeah, we're used to far more sophisticated trolling here at AI.

Not just copying and pasting buzzwords into a sentence or two.

And maybe you should get a better Korean -> English dictionary, m'kay?

Give over, his short posting history is pro-Apple.

Apple clearly need a bigger screen, and cheaper models, regardless of what the anecdotalists on this site would argue ( I don't want one, my friends don't want one).

Well other people do, and they have money.

• Reply 19 of 81
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

After a while it gets ridiculous and meaningless, no matter which OS.

Headlines in the year 2030:  "Device type X has now passed 100 trillion activations since they first came out two decades ago."

So what.

• Reply 20 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yes, at low levels of margin for phones i.e. 10% on a $200 phone they would get more in licensing . Anyway, they have to do something or repeat history.

They could get away with 35% gross margins. $150 cost + 35% = $200.  I believe even at the low end Apple can charge a small premium relative to other low end phones. The other thing I would do is make special software bundles to buyers of the low end phone in those countries to get extra itunes revenu and attempt to take down piracy.  

I dont know what Google just announced but the stock is taking a serious dive right now.