Revamped, cross-platform Google Hangouts app competes with Apple's iMessages, FaceTime [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Google on Wednesday expanded its cross-platform service offerings with a revamped version of Hangouts, now a standalone application for iOS and Android with a focus on video and text conversations within groups.

Update: Google's Hangouts for iOS has gone live and can be downloaded from the App Store now.

yeah

The new Hangouts app will be available Wednesday for Android devices, iOS devices, and on the search company's Chrome browser. It integrates Google Talk, Google + Messenger, and Google's original Hangout video chat service.

The app presents users with a list of recent conversations, and these conversations are persistent, with new information accessible across devices. Users can add and remove participants from conversations and see who exactly has seen what within a particular conversation.

Unifying its diverse communications offerings is part of an ongoing trend for Google, which has been criticized for a lack of focus leading to occasionally lackluster services. Pulling together most of its chat and communication services will bring the search giant into stiffer competition with not only Facebook, but also popular apps like WhatsApp.

The cross-platform Hangouts app will also compete with Apple's FaceTime video chatting service, as well as its iMessage service. While iMessage is restricted to Apple devices such as iPads, iPhones, and Macs, Apple originally intended for FaceTime to be an open standard. The Cupertino company never went through with those plans, though, and FaceTime remains and Apple device exclusive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member
    WHY google want to compete with Apple ?
  • Reply 2 of 63
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

Because, Apple (Jobs) promised to come onto it with Thermonuclear War. And, Google thinks it is doing the same on Apple.

• Reply 3 of 63
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Because, Apple (Jobs) promised to come onto it with Thermonuclear War. And, Google thinks it is doing the same on Apple.

Google is so far ahead of Apple in software that it is embarrassing.  Literally seems like varsity team (GOOG) playing versus the jv team (Apple).  

What exactly are Apple software engineers doing these days?  

• Reply 4 of 63
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Google is so far ahead of Apple in software that it is embarrassing.  Literally seems like varsity team (GOOG) playing versus the jv team (Apple).  

They are doing Google's research and development

• Reply 5 of 63
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Its going to be Apple turn at the WWDC, we will see and lets hope it gets better.

• Reply 6 of 63
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) This is a smart move by Google.

2) Where the hell is their Find My iPhone equivalent for Android?
  • Reply 7 of 63
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member

Quote:

Redesigning iOS icons for Johnny.

• Reply 8 of 63
    yvvvyvvv Posts: 18member
    @jusephe

Because Google apps are already popular on iOS and a cross-platform app will have a good chance at being more popular than an exclusive-to-a-platform app (iMessage, FaceTime).
  • Reply 9 of 63
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    jdnc123 wrote: »

seriously, Dude?
    I'm typing this on my Galaxsy S4 after 4 years of iPhones, and I can tell you confidently, and as a S/W developer, that Google has a long way to go.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    jusephe wrote: »

Typically, when someone pioneers a new market, there are other opportunists that emerge to exploit the new market. Apple had expected competition & copycats. It's not like they haven't been in business for some 35+ years. It's perfectly normal.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

LOL

• Reply 12 of 63
    Google has this appetite for IOS because there no other place they can develop these App without months of delays waiting for carriers updates. Apple has no need to compete with Googles envy to topple the iPhone software. Every year it's the same trend, "look what we can do with IOS".
  • Reply 13 of 63
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Why are you here exactly? Nothing worse than a concern troll. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 14 of 63
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Why are you here exactly? Nothing worse than a concern troll. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 15 of 63
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member

I think in NET terms, Android has been a complete loser for Google ($8Bn in Motorola acquisition costs, many more billions in Android development, etc, and they still make more money from iOS than Android. For Samsung, however, it is a different story). However, this approach, of building services which span across all platforms is an absolute winner, and will make them far more powerful than any supposed Android domination.

Basically, we have a situation where you have the internet layer, but a more useful and popular Google layer over it. This Google layer includes maps (#1), communication (might become #1 with this announcement), search (#1), shopping (woefully behind), social (way behind), email (#1), etc. Google will make a lot more money, and be far more successful with this strategy, as opposed to the Android vs. iOS one.

• Reply 16 of 63
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    chandra69 wrote: »

That's not the reason. Don't be childish. This isn't "payback."
  • Reply 17 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This seems sad but true.

I sold my iPad 3 to buy a Nexus 7 (for the smaller size) a few months before the mini came out.  One thing I've noticed with a fair number of games, on iOS they are $0.99, and free on Android (ad-sponsored).  I wonder if this has anything to do with friends that do have an android device are much more likely to have rooted it and pirate most, if not all their apps.

As someone who's more interested in drawing and making music, Android is a poor platform as quality apps are impossible to find.  I'm going to wait for the new A7 iPads to come out and switch back immediately.

• Reply 18 of 63
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

seriously, Dude?

I'm typing this on my Galaxsy S4 after 4 years of iPhones, and I can tell you confidently, and as a S/W developer, that Google has a long way to go.

This. I can honestly browse webpages faster on my ancient ORIGINAL iphone, than the Galaxy S3. Stuff like transitions happening in sequence, rather than simultaneously, make the S3 seem slower even if an exact stopwatch time test might show it to be marginally faster.

Apple has done a fantastic job with iOS. Androids are trying to compensate with throwing bigger hardware at the problem.

OTOH, where Apple fails is:

1) Building online services. iCloud is much better than its previous iterations, and in a world without Google, would be considered best of breed. However, Google does exist, and their online services are better.

2) Platforms (not OSes). Apple's desire to limit its platforms to Apple devices severely limit their success. iMessage would have been the runaway leader in messaging if Apple had expanded it to Android/WP7/etc. OTOH, by providing a cross platform Hangout service, it will be very easy for Google to sweep in and take leadership in this role.

• Reply 19 of 63
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That's not the reason. Don't be childish. This isn't "payback."

I cant think that you took it seriously. image

• Reply 20 of 63
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Quote:

Busy creating and polishing things that the average person will be able to use.

As I was reading through a summary of the Google I/O conference, I found myself thinking two things:

1. As usual, Google is creating a lot of stuff that geeks will spend their lives learning how to use, but that people outside of the tech industry won't use much, if at all.  Especially given the nasty disposition many Google evangelists tend to have due to the fact that they've spent far more time learning all the details about everything Google creates than actually interacting with real people.

2. Most of this requires you to have your whole life exposed to Google.  For example, searching for information about "your trip" requires you to book your flights, hotels, etc through services or apps which tie into Google somehow.  No thanks.