Tim Cook: Apple's product pipeline is 'chock full' of 'incredible stuff'

Comments

• Reply 121 of 145

Whoop de doo Apple will recycle your components. So you have to waste the product and money and energy to ship the old product. Not green at all. What about Personal waste? Why do I need to get rid of a perfectly good display when the cpu gets old?

• Reply 122 of 145
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

We have now entered the fifth month of the Year of The Chock Full Pipeline with no product intros as of yet.

I understand Haswell comes in June. But seriously, Cook couldn't at least prioritize an update to iWork or something?

To proclaim publicly that multiple product updates are coming and then announce nothing for the next four months is ridiculous.

• Reply 123 of 145
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

We have now entered the fifth month of the Year of The Chock Full Pipeline with no product intros as of yet.

I understand Haswell comes in June. But seriously, Cook couldn't at least prioritize an update to iWork or something?

To proclaim publicly that multiple product updates are coming and then announce nothing for the next four months is ridiculous.

Agreed and iWork is a prime example considering it is only 5 year old software!

Come on Apple. We were waiting because 2012 lagged so bad. This is getting discouraging.

• Reply 124 of 145
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by brainburst View Post

So you have to waste the product and money and energy to ship the old product. Not green at all.

You don't have a clue what green means, do you?

What about Personal waste?

Stop wasting so much, personally, then? image

Why do I need to get rid of a perfectly good display when the cpu gets old?

Why do you think you do?

• Reply 125 of 145

Quote:

So we've got confirmations of Haswell, Thunderbolt 2.0, new Wi-fi, and H.265 on deck.

Not to mention the fact that the Thunderbolt Display is obvious. This is the Year of the Mac all over again.

The bad news is that, to save money on events, everything will apparently be released at a single event in June. image

Just wanted to point out that when I announced everything would be announced at WWDC all at once, I had thought it was a joke.

We're now closing in on the end of May in the Year of the Chock Full Pipeline. And not a new single product release.

• Reply 126 of 145
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    frank777 wrote: »
    Just wanted to point out that when I announced everything would be announced at WWDC all at once, I had thought it was a joke.

We're now closing in on the end of May in the Year of the Chock Full Pipeline. And not a new single product release.

I'm fairly confident that iPhones and Mac Pros will be introduced.
  • Reply 127 of 145
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    wizard69 wrote: »

I see Mac Pros a lot more than iPhones. So far, the pattern of iDevices have been shifting to Fall. Whether they'll keep doing that is up to them, but I would follow the pattern until something more convincing comes up.
  • Reply 128 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

iPhones and iPads are for Fall release events. Apple will apparently use WWDC to...

...introduce new Mac Pros, update the Mini and iMac to Haswell, reunify the MacBook Pro line by bumping to Haswell and going all Retina, reboot the MacBook Air, show off the next versions of iOS and OS X, introduce an updated Thunderbolt Display, promise an update to iWork, apologize for Final Cut X again, debut a music streaming service, tease a Christmas-time TV introduction and explain why we need a new iOS wristwatch.

Did I miss anything?

• Reply 129 of 145

Apple will apparently use WWDC to...

...introduce new Mac Pros, update the Mini and iMac to Haswell, reunify the MacBook Pro line by bumping to Haswell and going all Retina, reboot the MacBook Air, show off the next versions of iOS and OS X, introduce an updated Thunderbolt Display, promise an update to iWork, apologize for Final Cut X again, debut a music streaming service, tease a Christmas-time TV introduction and explain why we need a new iOS wristwatch.

Did I miss anything?

You forgot "show us a revolutionary new product that will create an entirely new product category".

• Reply 130 of 145

Quote:

Quote:

iPhones and iPads are for Fall release events. Apple will apparently use WWDC to...

Did I miss anything?

Updated version of all iLife apps? Most of those have been stalled for several years as well.

• Reply 131 of 145
    trumptman wrote: »
    Updated version of all iLife apps? Most of those have been stalled for several years as well.

Slow, but not stalled. Things did get tweeked and fiddled here and there.
  • Reply 132 of 145

GarageBand going 64-bit is basically all I (can remember) care(ing) about on that front.

It crashes if a file ever goes above 4GB…

• Reply 133 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Slow, but not stalled. Things did get tweeked and fiddled here and there.

Bug fixes so it doesn't crash is stalled in my view.

Quote:

GarageBand 6, also known as GarageBand '11, is part of the iLife '11 package, which was released on October 20, 2010. This version brings new features such as Flex Time, a tool to adjust the rhythm of a recording. It also includes the ability to match the tempo of one track with another instantly, additional guitar amps and stompboxes, 22 new lessons for guitar and piano, and "How Did I Play?", a tool to measure the accuracy and progress of a piano or guitar performance in a lesson.

We are talking almost three years without a real update. That is ages in the technology realm. It's so long ago that Apple stock was at $250 a share.

• Reply 134 of 145
    trumptman wrote: »
    Bug fixes so it doesn't crash is stalled in my view.

That's an improvement though. I never had crashes.

There were a few minor adjustments to the UI too.
  • Reply 135 of 145

Just as we're about to enter June in the Year of the Chock-Full-Pipeline-With-No-Actual-Products, Apple surprises us by introducing a new version of the iPod that is distinguished by its LACK of a former feature.

WWDC had better be amazing.

• Reply 136 of 145
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Just as we're about to enter June in the Year of the Chock-Full-Pipeline-With-No-Actual-Products, Apple surprises us by introducing a new version of the iPod that is distinguished by its LACK of a former feature.

Actually I think that new Touch is exactly what many are looking for. It is a very low cost entry into the iOS app world.
  • Reply 137 of 145
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

The price is reasonable also for the model.

• Reply 138 of 145
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member

Call me a person with low expectations but as long as at least one new Mac model gets updated with Haswell processors, I am good. I would love for them to make a top of the line Mac Pro as promised with the very best of everything though that would be the same expectation as wanting my Raiders to win a Super Bowl in 2013-14.
  • Reply 139 of 145
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Did I miss anything?

That sounds like their schedule for the next three months, not a single event.

Mac Pros, smaller "retina display"thunderbolt displays, iOS 7 and OS X 10.9 (Ocelot) previews at WWDC.  

Haswell iMacs and Minis announced late June.  Speed bump only, no redesigns.  Base model shipping immediately, higher end in 4-6 weeks.

iWork is dead.   FCPX will get point release (10.1)

Streaming service will be introduced with new device (iWatch?  iCondom?)

• Reply 140 of 145

Quote:

Actually I think that new Touch is exactly what many are looking for. It is a very low cost entry into the iOS app world.

The product itself  isn't bad. My comment is focused on the fact that we've been waiting for new products - any new or updated products - for five months, and Apple finally goes and introduces a product update that doesn't actually have any new features.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

That sounds like their schedule for the next three months, not a single event.

Mac Pros, smaller "retina display"thunderbolt displays, iOS 7 and OS X 10.9 (Ocelot) previews at WWDC.  

Haswell iMacs and Minis announced late June.  Speed bump only, no redesigns.  Base model shipping immediately, higher end in 4-6 weeks.

iWork is dead.   FCPX will get point release (10.1)

Streaming service will be introduced with new device (iWatch?  iCondom?)

That was sarcasm. I don't believe Apple is crazy enough to introduce all of that at a single event.

Mac Pros are clearly coming at the end of the year (Thunderbolt 2.0) and September's the usually time for the iOS devices.

The big question for WWDC is whether just the mobile line with got to Haswell, or whether the desktop line (Mini and iMac) will go Haswell at the same time. Apple has never really updated both lines simultaneously.

And if iWork is dead, there's going to be a riot.