IDC: Apple's iOS fell to 17% of smartphones shipped in Q1, Windows Phone passed BlackBerry

Comments

• Reply 21 of 139
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Samsung officials have announced they've sold 6 million GS4s already and expect to sell 10 million in May.  There you have it, Apple no longer has the best selling single unit smartphone.  Expectations are for Apple to sell 25-30mm iPhones in the quarter, with a similar split to last quarter of 50/50 5s vs 4/4s, so they will sell roughly 12.5 million 5s in 3 months.  Lets say rather than 10 million a month this quarter, Samsung sells 25 million S4's........that is double the sales of the iPhone 5.

No longer can people complain Samsung doesn't give sales figures.  They are kicking Apple's butt globally.  Personally, I think a 4 inch 5s will not reverse the trend that Apple now has the second most popular phones in the world.  Really, really amazing collapse for this company.  Want to know why the stock is plummeting?  Because of an arrogant management team that fell asleep at the wheel allowing a huge lead in most popular phone to get evaporated and reversed in literally no time.

This is more lies!  The same article states "Samsung, however, has not disclosed official sales figures yet, but if the alleged Samsung executive's statement is true, it may be an figure the South Korean-based organization can proudly flaunt about."  So, they are not even sure this was really a Samsung executive making the comment.  

• Reply 22 of 139
    joelchujoelchu Posts: 80member
    While I am at it. To those kids (AKA f@@ling trolls) who failed history lessons.

Last time when Apple was almost driven to the ground was all because of some morons like you lot - chasing market share and trying to be "the other guy". The new Apple (they even have a name change, do you know) is not the other guy. If you lots are so good with how to run one of the world largest company. I would love to see your real name and check against the top 500 global companies directors registration.

I won't tell Apple what to do. Because I can't. And So do you.
  • Reply 23 of 139
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member

This is the typical biased financial reporting.  Lies are easily debunked, but the half-truth is the currency of the scoundrels today.

iOS volume was UP, and Apple makes money on every handset that uses it, plus almost everyone who has it will be paying Apple for apps, songs, etc.

The deceitful bastard who wants to dishearten the Apple crowd tries to make the "market share" statistic the only one worth mentioning.  I hope most people can see through this obvious fraud and realize that Apple is doing fine.  It goes without saying that any player in a new and rapidly developing field has to move quickly to keep their technology attractive, and there is no reason to believe this warning is specific to Apple or the field of smartphones.

We could just as easily give the same warning to Microsoft about MP3 players.  No, wait, we can't . . .

• Reply 24 of 139
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Samsung officials have announced they've sold 6 million GS4s already and expect to sell 10 million in May.  There you have it, Apple no longer has the best selling single unit smartphone.  Expectations are for Apple to sell 25-30mm iPhones in the quarter, with a similar split to last quarter of 50/50 5s vs 4/4s, so they will sell roughly 12.5 million 5s in 3 months.  Lets say rather than 10 million a month this quarter, Samsung sells 25 million S4's........that is double the sales of the iPhone 5.

No longer can people complain Samsung doesn't give sales figures.  They are kicking Apple's butt globally.  Personally, I think a 4 inch 5s will not reverse the trend that Apple now has the second most popular phones in the world.  Really, really amazing collapse for this company.  Want to know why the stock is plummeting?  Because of an arrogant management team that fell asleep at the wheel allowing a huge lead in most popular phone to get evaporated and reversed in literally no time.

Even if Apple had a few cheaper devices that would have been true, but maybe not if the top end iPhone had a bigger screen. 

Apple just turns around too slow. Two years per model - with the same look and feel, is not good enough these days. iOS6 didn't add much to iOS5. 

They may just not have enough people. I think they also concentrate on the Mac too much. If its the post PC world I wonder why a lot of the WWDC presentations were last year - and might be this year - Mac related, and some of the additions were underwhelming.

Heres the list for iOS 6

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/

They actually highlighted that Mail has a VIP box as one of the major fixes. Passbook was another failure. Maps - enough said. FaceTime - not really successful anyway - over 3G ( wasn't that just a carrier issue? I reckon they just deleted the code which stopped it working, a days work). The iCloud bookmarks in safari ( of no real use), and a reading list which actually works as you would expect and works offline? A few man days work both, surely.  And accessibility, worthy but not useful to most.

Most of the OS team wouldn't have been involved in most of those changes which makes me think that iOS 7 is a big rewrite. 

• Reply 25 of 139
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelchu View Post

While I am at it. To those kids (AKA f@@ling trolls) who failed history lessons.

Last time when Apple was almost driven to the ground was all because of some morons like you lot - chasing market share and trying to be "the other guy". The new Apple (they even have a name change, do you know) is not the other guy. If you lots are so good with how to run one of the world largest company. I would love to see your real name and check against the top 500 global companies directors registration.

I won't tell Apple what to do. Because I can't. And So do you.

The stock market is voting with its feet and saying Tim Cook isn't qualified to run this company.  So do they just let earnings keep dropping, become a niche player and eventually not have the resources to compete?  How do you compensate engineering talent with a stock that won't go up with shrinking earnings?  Why can't Apple compete for market share and at the same time stick to their principal of making great products.....are you implying a large share of the market has a taste for crappy products?

• Reply 26 of 139
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

Quote:

>>Expect? How long?>>

Seriously?  End of May is 15 days away.  So they have sold 6 million, which means they expect to sell 4mm the next 15 days. 

They are out of stock?  I have not heard any reports about stores being out of stock. Where are the lines of people waiting to buy or put their phones on order. In fact I searched several cities and even best buy has them in stock at every one of them today.  They are once again filling the supply chain and calling it sales.

• Reply 27 of 139
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    jdnc123 wrote: »

A new phone outsells a nine month old phone? Stop the presses!!
  • Reply 28 of 139
    cyniccynic Posts: 124member

Quote:

Oh dear, all this panic...

Guys, don't forget that Samsung is using similar tactics as Google when it comes to numbers. There are reasons for why Google likes to report activations over sales and there is a reason for why Samsung officially only states shipments rather than sales. Look at the I/O keynote, where they talk about revenue per user, amount paid out to developers, etc. They never mention any hard number to put their statements into relation. All they do is talk about how much things increased over a period in the past. However, this is a very vague statements if no actual numbers whatsoever are given at all.

People also like to compare those "guessed" numbers to Apple and forget one thing: Apple has less than 20% global market share. Even if numbers start getting comparable in any category it still demonstrates quite a poor overall performance, because of the difference in market share. Having 4x amount of market share and still lacking in App Downloads or Revenue says a lot and that's why neither Google nor Samsung are giving out any real numbers. Also note the lackluster applause they get for such statements. ;-)

Either way, regarding Samsung and the amount of S4s sold. We don't know, because there are still no real numbers. What we do know is that the statement above is simply false, and this is what I call similar to Google's tactic, because when Samsung says S4 it doesn't mean one single device or one single device model, it means a whole series of devices, which happen to have a flagship phone amongst them. However, most of those supposed sales happen in the cheap categories, Galaxy S4 Mini and other spinoffs. Therefore you still can't really compare any numbers or judge who is winning or losing because we are talking about totally different markets and totally different target audiences here.

And yes, we all do know one thing: The amount of highend Android phones sold worldwide is quite low and this reflects not only statistics talking about app store revenue, online shopping activity or general web and services usage, but also reflects the impression people have when they talk about how few Android phones they actually see at Airports in Coffee Shops, etc.

• Reply 29 of 139
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

When is AI going to deal with these concern trolls that only show up here when they can predict doom and gloom or gloat about Google/Samsung?  Samsung has sold 6M S4s?  When was this announced?  I follow tech blogs frequently and didn't see any announcement there.  Unless this is another one of these "estimated" figures that get thrown out there with no follow up or validation.  I don't trust any sales figures that don't filed with the SEC (or equivalent type agency).

• Reply 30 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

When is AI going to deal with these concern trolls that only show up here when they can predict doom and gloom or gloat about Google/Samsung?  Samsung has sold 6M S4s?  When was this announced?  I follow tech blogs frequently and didn't see any announcement there.  Unless this is another one of these "estimated" figures that get thrown out there with no follow up or validation.  I don't trust any sales figures that don't filed with the SEC (or equivalent type agency).

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2013/05/13/2013051301012.html#ystfuv

Right because if its not in a document its not legit?  You do know it would be against SEC laws for a company representative to publicly discuss these numbers if they weren't true?

• Reply 31 of 139
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

I'm also in red numbers with my stake in AAPL, but I don't expect or want to change the Apple. Apple may have me disappointed in some ways, but there is nothing more disappointing than holding in hands the phone you praise so much.

Apple opens the markets and doesn't hold market shares. Live with it. Write off the loss and buy GOOG bubble.

• Reply 32 of 139
    juiljuil Posts: 75member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

I never imagined Apple would go 8 months silent in such a competitive space - never crossed my mind as a possibility.

If it was by design, that was a bad decision. If it was because of delays, that is also bad. I don't see how you explain this away. Not only is Android running away with share, but Apple has now let Microsoft back into the game

I hope Apple has big plans up their sleeves for September. I still think its their game to lose, I'm not as optimistic as I was last year

Personally, I find firing Forstall a pivoting moment in Apple’s current fortunes. It really seams in hindsight that he is responsible for the fact that iOS6 was (or at least was deemed) short on features. They probably understood at that moment (fall 2012) that they had a serious problem on there hands... So in steps Federighi and Ive to turn things around. But that takes time. And being a very cautious company, Apple certainly won’t rush things or go in panic mode.

I believe that this is why you feel that they are "silent" at the moment. It’s probably the calm weather before the storm right now. WWDC is less than a month away.

And as for autumn, I don’t remember Apple ever using the term "surprises" in the past to talk about their future rollout plans. So I’m pretty sure you are gonna be satisfied in the "big plans" as you mention it.

• Reply 33 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It's specifically shipped to channel, not sold, so it's a useless number. ...and obviously you didn't really look since it took 1.5 seconds to find. 

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/15/galaxy-s4-sales-6-million/

• Reply 34 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juil View Post

Personally, I find firing Forstall a pivoting moment in Apple’s current fortunes. It really seams in hindsight that he is responsible for the fact that iOS6 was (or at least was deemed) short on features. They probably understood at that moment (fall 2012) that they had a serious problem on there hands... So in steps Federighi and Ive to turn things around. But that takes time. And being a very cautious company, Apple certainly won’t rush things or go in panic mode.

I believe that this is why you feel that they are "silent" at the moment. It’s probably the calm weather before the storm right now. WWDC is less than a month away.

And as for autumn, I don’t remember Apple ever using the term "surprises" in the past to talk about their future rollout plans. So I’m pretty sure you are gonna be satisfied in the "big plans" as you mention it.

This is my view as well.  Jobs died, Cook takes over, but turf wars begin, hurting innovation.  Cook's personality wasn't strong enough to deal with it, so he has to axe Forstall and now they are playing catch up.

• Reply 35 of 139
    genovelle wrote: »
    They are out of stock?  I have not heard any reports about stores being out of stock. Where are the lines of people waiting to buy or put their phones on order. In fact I searched several cities and even best buy has them in stock at every one of them today.  They are once again filling the supply chain and calling it sales.
    Well I don't doubt Samsung will sell a ton of S4 devices but it is a bit deceiving to fill the supply chain and then say ooh look how many we sold in 2 weeks or one month! When Apple announced 5M iPhone 5 sales in 3 days those were real sales to end customers. And we know that because the device was sold out everywhere. And you'd go online and the wait would be several weeks. I remember going with a friend to a Verizon store on Saturday and them telling us by 9am on Friday morning they were sold out. I just checked AT&T and they had the S4 available online and at every store in my metro area. Same thing with Best Buy. I also checked carphone warehouse and they had the device available and in stock. So we're supposed to believe they sold 6+ million to consumers, PLUS have stock available online and in stores? Um, no.
  • Reply 36 of 139
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

It's specifically shipped to channel, not sold, so it's a useless number. ...and obviously you didn't really look since it took 1.5 seconds to find. 

It gets old repeating it for those that don't pay attention or think it though: Shipped equals sold as a general rule. Doesn't matter if a carrier/retailer pays for it or an end-user. It"s still sold. The way that Apple officially recognizes a sale is effectively the same way Samsung does.  Some of you are confusing sales revenue with sell-thru numbers, something Apple sorta gives us with their channel inventory estimates. Samsung does not.

• Reply 37 of 139

Yes I admit I didn't look this morning. I was on different sites yesterday and didn't see anything. But as you say right now it's a useless number. Not sure why its being touted here as some big deal.
  • Reply 38 of 139
    6ryph3n6ryph3n Posts: 53member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

So what has Google achieved with this? From what I understand Android is free and they expect (and get) income from ads on the platform. This is a different situation as the Apple - Microsoft era, because Microsoft at least was paid for its software.

I just hope that Apple stays focused and doesn't give in to a fight for more market share, because that will turn out to be a dead end street. I would love to see them continue to serve the high end of the market, and consolidate the ecosystem.

On another note, I really don't get it. At a meeting the other day were eight people at my table. Eight of them carried an iPhone. On a flight last week I counted one Android phone and five iPhones with the people sitting in my row. Where are all the Android phones?

Unless the statistics (web browsing, app downloads, etc) have changed since I saw them Android sells lots of phones to people who don't really use them for anything besides maybe phone calls. They're basically selling over-qualified feature phones, whereas Apple is selling iPhones to people who actually use them.

• Reply 39 of 139
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It gets old repeating it for those that don't pay attention or think it though: Shipped equals sold as a general rule. Doesn't matter if a carrier/retailer pays for it or an end-user. It"s still sold. The way that Apple officially recognizes a sale is effectively the same way Samsung does.  Some of you are confusing sales revenue with sell-thru numbers, something Apple sorta gives us with their channel inventory estimates. Samsung does not.
    The point isn't whether Samsung will sell 6M or 10M S4s, it's that someone reported it here as if 6M phones were in customers hands already and 10M would be by the end of the month. The real story is that's how many were stuffed in the channel and we don't know how many yet were sold to consumers. When Apple 5M iPhone 5s sold in 3 days we can assume those were sales to consumers as the phone was out of stock pretty much everywhere you went.
  • Reply 40 of 139
    jdnc123 wrote: »
    http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2013/05/13/2013051301012.html#ystfuv

Right because if its not in a document its not legit?  You do know it would be against SEC laws for a company representative to publicly discuss these numbers if they weren't true?
    What does Samsung have to do with the SEC? Are they required to file financial statements with the SEC since they're not an American company and aren't listed on any of our stock exchanges?