AT&T supposedly offering iPhone 5 for free with iPhone 4S trade-in, 2-year contract

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
America's number two wireless telecom and Apple partner carrier AT&T recently started sending out promotional emails to certain iPhone 4S owners on its network, saying that they can take advantage of special trade-in pricing that effectively negates the upfront cost of a 16-gigabyte iPhone 5.

Trade-in

According to an email received by AppleInsider reader Ryan, AT&T is offering up to $200 for used iPhone 4S handsets, which customers can put toward the cost of a new iPhone 5. Currently, the telecom is pricing the 16GB version of Apple's latest handset at $199 with a two-year contract.

It should be noted that the veracity of the email could not immediately be verifed, and it is unclear whether the initiative is national or local. AppleInsider has reached out to AT&T for more information and will update this article when a reply is received.

Taking the above into consideration, it appears the offer is only available to existing AT&T customers and could be an extension of the company's latest trade-in program that officially launched earlier this month. That promotion, however, limits trade-in values to $100 and has no mention of the iPhone 5.

The email notes that the price of the handset does not include upgrade fees, which is curious considering most iPhone 4S owners will not be up for a free upgrade for some months. However, closer inspection of the terms reveals the promotional ad could have been automatically generated from a template, as it states, "For $200 trade-in value, iPhone 4S must be 3 yrs old or newer & in good & working condition." Apple launched the iPhone 4S in 2011.

From the email's fine print:
Limited time offer subject to change at any time. Offer only available in AT&T owned stores. iPhone 5 16GB Offer: Applies to iPhone 16 GB priced at $199.99 w/new 2-yr agreement w/voice (min $39.99/mo) & data (min $20/mo) plans or Mobile Share plan (min $85/mo). Free after using $200 AT&T Promotion Card received with eligible trade-in.
U.S. wireless carriers have recently used the iPhone 5 to lure in new customers, or push existing customers toward upgrading. Last week, for example, T-Mobile held a "$0 down" trade-in promotion for Mother's Day, while Verizon earlier today targeted feature phone users with special $99 iPhone 5 pricing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    orbitlyorbitly Posts: 7member
    That's a terrible deal. You could sell the phone for $350. $150 more than selling to AT&T.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member

Quote:

Originally Posted by orbitly View Post

That's a terrible deal. You could sell the phone for $350. $150 more than selling to AT&T.

I agree.  I got this offer from AT&T and was sort of insulted...

I'm not sure why the headline uses "supposedly," though.  Seems like many people must have received this offer and it is not like it is a hard to believe deal.  AT&T would love to lock you in for another contract while taking your old phone from you at half its value!

• Reply 3 of 16
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Apple launched the iPhone 4S in 2012.
    uh huh.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    netimoonnetimoon Posts: 41member

Quote:

Originally Posted by orbitly View Post

However, if this promotion is to exempt the early-upgrade fee, it is a viable deal especially for the ones whose iPhone 4S has some cosmetic damages, like deep scratches, broken back, etc.

• Reply 5 of 16
    jlaxmanjlaxman Posts: 2member
    orbitly wrote: »
    That's a terrible deal

. You could sell the phone for $350. $150 more than selling to AT&T.

Where are you selling a 4s for 350
  • Reply 6 of 16
    brunzillabrunzilla Posts: 39member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlaxman View Post

Where are you selling a 4s for 350

Look on Ebay. Average for a used 4s 16g is $300-325.

• Reply 7 of 16
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    orbitly wrote: »

bageljoey wrote: »
    I agree.  I got this offer from AT&T and was sort of insulted...

I'm not sure why the headline uses "supposedly," though.  Seems like many people must have received this offer and it is not like it is a hard to believe deal.  AT&T would love to lock you in for another contract while taking your old phone from you at half its value!

How is this a bad deal?
    First- the specifics aren't mentioned- but anyone with a 4S is still under contract. So if this lets them opt early, it's a good deal. Sure- you could sell it at $350- then you still need to buy an iPhone- which you couldn't get for subsidized pricing because you still have your previous contract to complete.

Imagine if this was done annually from now on- you'd always have the newest model (albeit 6 months old)- for free. That is- of course- if you were planning on staying with your current provider.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    They are also offering an iPhone 5 to 3gs users for $99.99 with a two year contract.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    jlaxmanjlaxman Posts: 2member
    brunzilla wrote: »

Look on Ebay. Average for a used 4s 16g is $300-325.

Ok but you can't do that if you are still on contract. Makes sense if you want to upgrade early. If you wait till contract is up the 4s prices will drop on ebay once the 5s comes out
  • Reply 10 of 16
    kwopaukwopau Posts: 1member
    Um. One thing I would like to comment on "The email notes that the price of the handset does not include upgrade fees, which is curious considering most iPhone 4S owners will not be up for a free upgrade for some months." is that most people who have purchased an iphone 4S on launch day or so are actually eligible to upgrade even right now. I purchased mine after 2 weeks after launch and supposedly my ugprade is on 5/22/2013, but in fact I'm already eligible to upgrade even right now as I checked with AT&T. Anyways I'm going to keep my upgrade for the next generation anyways~
  • Reply 11 of 16
    doe924doe924 Posts: 14member
    Actually you are handing them your 4S + essentially $100 payment. You must pay tax on $650 ($58) and an additional $36 upgrade/activation fee. I bet your 4S has to be in like new condition too.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Find the current market value of used iphone on www.tagtotrade.com
  • Reply 13 of 16
    jazmin7jazmin7 Posts: 2member

is the deal for the regular iphone 4 also or only the iphone 4s?

• Reply 14 of 16
    jazmin7jazmin7 Posts: 2member

is the deal for the regulariphone 4 also or only theiphone 4s?

• Reply 15 of 16
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    But... But... But... There aren't ever any special offers to buy the iPhone
  • Reply 16 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    jazmin7 wrote: »
    s the deal for the regulariphone 4 also or only theiphone 4s?

Maybe read the article.