IDC: Apple's iOS fell to 17% of smartphones shipped in Q1, Windows Phone passed BlackBerry

Comments

• Reply 81 of 139
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Today I can go on AT&T, Sprint, Best Buy, Carphone Warehouse (and I'm sure others) and they all have the Galaxy S4 in stock and available for purchase. If that phone was such a hot seller (I'm assuming that's the reason these figures were posted here in the first place) wouldn't places be out of stock? Unless we're to believe Samsung has millions of these phones sitting in a warehouse somewhere and they're replenishing resellers as fast as they're selling them?

They seem to manage supply better.

• Reply 82 of 139
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

Try to get it right when Apple said sold it meant to the consumers and not stored in warehouses so somewhere.

No one is asking for sale revenue but the product sold versus shipped.

The analysts were not happy because the whispered number was 10 millions Nd Apple 'managed' to sell only 5 millions.

Apple could easily have stuffed the channel with 10millions phones.

Check your facts sir. When Apple reports x-number of iPhones sold they are not referring to only the ones purchased by an end-user. A little research will clear things up for you.

• Reply 83 of 139
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Seriously, that's why you're here??

Almost all here realize that it's impossible for one corporation to rule the hardware world.  "We" realize that the first-to-entry created unheard of success in the iPod, iPhone and iPad.

Android has advantages...its ecosystem has embraced multitudes of sizes, shapes, colors, quality, functionality and prices.  Some devices are very good but most are crap leaving the customer very unsatisfied....many companies lose/lost profits.  And all sorts of people are attracted to these devices.  You will find that (the cheap) cost is a major factor for the majority of the customer base.

So does Apple have competition?  Of course.  Please don't tell me you invested in Apple thinking that no competition would ever appear.  If so, you should get out of investing, move on and be thankful for the lesson.

Is this is an important year for Apple?  Hell yah.  If Apple does not offer a different form factor, it will show the world that it is indeed too slow or too risk adverse to be in this industry...and would mean that Apple might be relegated to 17% market share... for forever.

But if Apple launches a new form factor, it'll hold on and grow slightly in 2013.  Then in 2014...watchout...you'd be sorry that you sold your shares.

It's a fast paced world filled with wild expectations, my only concern is whether Apple can really kick the competition's ass when you have companies, like Samsung, who plays up to the fast-paced/high-expectations by stealing and using questionable ad/marketing schemes.

Despite what I wrote above, I believe that IDC's accuracy is crap.

>>Please don't tell me you invested in Apple thinking that no competition would ever appear.  If so, you should get out of investing, move on and be thankful for the lesson.>>

Kind of tough.  I invest for a living.

• Reply 84 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

OK tough guy.  I love all the clowns here who use the internet to all of a sudden become schoolyard bullies, none of which likely have the spine to say such things in person, but somehow get tough on a forum.  Only makes me want to post more.

Au contraire, were you dumb enough to act like this in a store I owned, for example, I'd ask you to leave. There's no sense in putting up with this idiocy. 

Imagine the context translated, of course. 

• Reply 85 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Au contraire, were you dumb enough to act like this in a store I owned, for example, I'd ask you to leave. There's no sense in putting up with this idiocy. 

Imagine the context translated, of course. 

And like here, if you said that in person, I'd ignore you.

• Reply 86 of 139

And like here, if you said that in person, I'd ignore you.

In person, I have security. Physical removal is the equivalent of banning here. You're on track for that, at least.

• Reply 87 of 139
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

In person, I have security. Physical removal is the equivalent of banning here. You're on track for that, at least.

On what basis? Criticism of Apple? When has that been a bankable offense? Is it in the rules?

• Reply 88 of 139

Quote:

Banned for what exactly?  Because I don't bow to the greatness of Tim Cook and worship his every move like you do.  I am actually starting to think you might be his mother.

• Reply 89 of 139

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

On what basis? Criticism of Apple? When has that been a bankable offense? Is it in the rules?

Good ol' OS X autocorrect.

So you're fine with lies, hoaxes, and FUD being allowed here? Anyone can say anything they want without repercussion?

I am actually starting to think you might be his mother.

Go wash your face.

• Reply 90 of 139
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    jdnc123 wrote: »
    Samsung officials have announced they've sold 6 million GS4s already and expect to sell 10 million in May.  There you have it, Apple no longer has the best selling single unit smartphone.  Expectations are for Apple to sell 25-30mm iPhones in the quarter, with a similar split to last quarter of 50/50 5s vs 4/4s, so they will sell roughly 12.5 million 5s in 3 months.  Lets say rather than 10 million a month this quarter, Samsung sells 25 million S4's........that is double the sales of the iPhone 5.

No longer can people complain Samsung doesn't give sales figures.  They are kicking Apple's butt globally.  Personally, I think a 4 inch 5s will not reverse the trend that Apple now has the second most popular phones in the world.  Really, really amazing collapse for this company.  Want to know why the stock is plummeting?  Because of an arrogant management team that fell asleep at the wheel allowing a huge lead in most popular phone to get evaporated and reversed in literally no time.

Yes... Apple is the #2 smartphone vendor in the world. Apple is the Wendy's to Samsung's McDonalds.

I'd love to hear your opinions of #3 or #4 though... if being #2 is so horrible. :)
  • Reply 91 of 139
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    hill60 wrote: »
    So how come Apple makes more money than Samsung?

Could it be because of the 65 million smartphones Samsung shipped only 6 million were Galaxy S 4's, the rest were cheap junk.

But, but, but... unit sales.... market share... winning...

:D
  • Reply 92 of 139
    clarker99clarker99 Posts: 230member

Being a dealer, we have to purchase the devices at full retail price.  When we sell the device we are reimbursed by the carrier we represent, plus a small commission.

No OEM tells us what we have to stock.  We basically order devices as needed.

We assumed a larger demand for the S4, at launch, and were off.  Will we sell out our current stock? Yes, but at a much slower rate than we predicted.

I do not think Samsung channels the phones. I am just finding the 'numbers' to be different than our locations demand.  I do believe that the S4 is popular and will sell but I am not seeing it, yet.

I guess why I am posting is because I am baffled at the lack of interest in the S4, at our locations. I expected to be sold out on day 1.

• Reply 93 of 139

Originally Posted by clarker99 View Post

I do believe that the S4 is popular and will sell but I am not seeing it, yet.

I expected to be sold out on day 1.

And you still believe it's popular and will sell?

• Reply 94 of 139
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Gee, at this rate of decline in three years Apple will be selling zero phones. That sounds logical doesn't it?
  • Reply 95 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

But, but, but... unit sales.... market share... winning...

I am just using a JP Morgan report on Samsung, but in it they have a comparison of historical and forcasted operating profits for Samsung and Apple in USD.

Samsung

2012 = 26 billion

2013 = 39 billion

2014 = 45 billion

Apple 

2012 = 55 billion 

2013 = 48 billion

2014 = 52 billion

This myth that Samsung isn't making money needs to stop.  They are very quickly converging to the profitability of Apple.  Now the businesses and capital needs are different, but its complete garbage that Samsung isn't making money.  The company is worth nearly $200 billion for a reason.

Edit:  I should note the JPM Apple analyst is bullish, so not like they have an axe to grind.

• Reply 96 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Yes... Apple is the #2 smartphone vendor in the world. Apple is the Wendy's to Samsung's McDonalds.

I'd love to hear your opinions of #3 or #4 though... if being #2 is so horrible. image

#2 overall is great, #2 high-end is a problem.... we aren't there

• Reply 97 of 139
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    zvzax wrote: »

All Apple have to do is to give not only 4 inch iPhone but also 5 inch

iPhone to customers.  Apple can get more market share and more

profits by this.

Apple have to innovate their obsolete set of mind.

OMG. What is it with the letter Z and these kinds of posts? ;)
  • Reply 98 of 139
    clarker99clarker99 Posts: 230member

Quote:

The S3 started out slow, as well.  It slowly gained momentum after a few months.  I just assumed a better launch day bc the S4 had the all the 'buzz'. I was dead wrong.  We sold 6x as many iPhone 5's on launch day than S4's.

Again, I am looking at tech websites and blogs telling me how many Galaxy S4's are being sold and I am having trouble believing them.

If Apple reports that sales are up or down over a quarter, usually that reflects in our sales of iPhone's being up or down. 

All I here about with Samsung or Android based phones is how many are selling.  It is not reflected in our sales.  Based on the 'numbers' Samsung Galaxy S4 should be outselling the iPhone 5 head to head over the last 3 weeks at our locations.  That is just not the case. 

We sell 40% iPhone (4, 4S, 5) and 60% everything else (10+ different models of Android, Windows, Blackberry).

• Reply 99 of 139
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So yes, it wasn't 5M in the customers hands but highly likely that it was 5M in process.

Likewise, Samsung sales are in progress.   I'm sure you'll acknowledge that they will sell at least 10 million to end users, even if it takes a few weeks after the retailer count is reported.

Don't forget that Apple is very often in the exact same situation of end user sales taking a while, after they get their production caught up.  They also count shipments that are filling up the inventory channel.  Heck, at least count there's over 11 million iPhones like that.  

Most products sell through eventually.  Unless it's a real sales dud (like that Facebook phone seems to be), debating sales vs. shipped is just picking temporary nits.  Good mental exercise, but meaningless in a few months.

Quote:

Also we keep hearing about how the high end smartphone market is becoming saturated (again all doom for Apple). Well if there is any truth to that wouldn't it also impact the S4? Is that not a high end smartphone?

It will affect Apple first, because their average prices are higher, but yes... high end saturation is expected to affect Samsung as well.

• Reply 100 of 139
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarker99 View Post

Quote:

The S3 started out slow, as well.  It slowly gained momentum after a few months.  I just assumed a better launch day bc the S4 had the all the 'buzz'. I was dead wrong.  We sold 6x as many iPhone 5's on launch day than S4's.

Again, I am looking at tech websites and blogs telling me how many Galaxy S4's are being sold and I am having trouble believing them.

If Apple reports that sales are up or down over a quarter, usually that reflects in our sales of iPhone's being up or down. 

All I here about with Samsung or Android based phones is how many are selling.  It is not reflected in our sales.  Based on the 'numbers' Samsung Galaxy S4 should be outselling the iPhone 5 head to head over the last 3 weeks at our locations.  That is just not the case. 

We sell 40% iPhone (4, 4S, 5) and 60% everything else (10+ different models of Android, Windows, Blackberry).

actually they said they sold 10million s3 (now 6 million s4).