Baldur's Gate II: OS X or 9?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm going to be playing on a 400mhz (Lime) iMac with 512mb RAM. I have Jaguar and 9.2. Single player only, if that matters.

I'm willing to boot into 9 if performance is going to be too poor under X. I've heard it's not a very good OS X port.

Any advice before I install?

Jeff

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: jeffyboy ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I have a Dual 500 G4 and although I haven't played it in a long time (there might be a newer version out) when I was playing it, the OS X version was barely playable (or at least annoying enough to get me right to the point where it wasn't worth playing).

I put up with it, because I didn't want to boot into 9, but the OS 9 version is silky smooth compared to the X version. On the machine you mentioned I would think the OS X version will land you either in the loony bin or jail, depending on your personality.

Enjoy!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Thanks, Pie Man! That goes along with the other stuff I've heard.

I've been playing the original on and off forever. I've heard Imoen's abducted in the sequel!

Heads will roll!!!!

Jeff
  • Reply 3 of 5
    If you like the first, then you'll love the second. I had an entire two months disappear on me, after getting that game. I'd suggest going through it without using a hintbook at least the first time you play it, though. The hintbooks are good for power gaming, but kind of take the fun out of discovering everything yourself.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    That's my method, too. I like to go through the chapters at least once on my own, then get a walkthrough for all those (many, many, many) side-quests.

I really like the guides on <a href="http://gamespot.com"; target="_blank">Gamespot.com</a>.

I'm hoping BG2 and Icewind Dale will occupy my time until I can afford a system worthy of Neverwinter Nights!

I like Diablo II, too, and even play Diablo once in awhile!

Jeff

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: jeffyboy ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    [quote]I'm hoping BG2 and Icewind Dale will occupy my time until I can afford a system worthy of Neverwinter Nights!<hr></blockquote>

That's exactly where I am too. I am going to wait to buy Neverwinter Nights until I buy a new computer. The funny thing is I will have a dramatically faster computer, but will actually get less done because of all the games I can play!