Report: Apple supplier Foxconn still exceeding work hour laws

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hon Hai Precision Industry has made some strides toward improved labor conditions, according to a new report, but the Apple supplier is still working its employees more than Chinese labor law allows.

workers

The Fair Labor Association on Thursday released its latest evaluation on Hon Hai's (better known as Foxconn) labor practices, reports The Wall Street Journal. The FLA, a group of which Apple has been a member since 2012, found that Foxconn had complied with 98.3 percent of 360 suggested action items from the labor watchdog's last evaluation.

Where the Apple supplier fell short was in working hours, an area Apple has been pushing for its suppliers to improve. Apple's supplier code mandates a 60-hour maximum work week, but Chinese law limits the workweek to 40 hours, with 36 hours as the maximum amount of overtime per month.

Foxconn and Apple agreed to reach compliance with Chinese law by July 2013. The report, though, found that Foxconn workers were working between 40 and 60 hours per week in two facilities and between 40 and 70 hours per week at another during the weeks leading up to the launch of the latest iPhone. Those facilities employ an estimated 170,000 people.

Foxconn has made considerable progress in other areas, though. The Chinese firm improved compliance in most actionable areas, making changes to its intern policy, protecting workers from excessive heat, and building more fire escapes and toilets. The union participation rate at Foxconn facilities also improved significantly, with the percentage of worker representatives in main union committees growing from 20 percent to 40 percent.

Apple has continually pressed its suppliers to improve their labor operations over the past few years, going so far as to terminate a contract with one supplier found to be using underage workers. Among Apple's suppliers, 99 percent of the more than one million-strong workforce do not work excessive hours.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Obviously this is Apple's fault. If people didn't want their products so much, they wouldn't have to beat their Chinese workers and force them to work overtime.

• Reply 2 of 21
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Where do I stand with my SAY NO TO SLAVERY sign? 

Oh, and didn't these workers get pissed and threaten suicide when their work hrs were decreased? 

Let's stop pretending that Foxconn= Apple. They're the supplier to almost every single tech OEM in the world. And if Foxconn is exceeding these hours, you can be sure that every single other supplier in China is too. 

• Reply 3 of 21
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Interesting picture, that ain't China.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Gee no one is complaining that i am working 60+ hours some weeks and not getting any over time pay. 

People in the US who work for Corporate American put in far more hours just to keep their jobs and no one is protesting in the street about this. Why is more important to worry about some Chinese workers who get paid over time (i am assuming time and half) but it is okay for us in the US to work 10 or 12 hour days and not get any over time just because we are salary.

You know I tired of all this belly aching about working long hours, When I had an hourly job and got paid time and half for over 40 hrs I looked for every opportunity to work extra hours if I could get them. I suspect the people in China are the same way, they like the extra money just like I did.

• Reply 5 of 21
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

What a scandal! Stop the presses!

Somebody in China is working 40-60 hours a week! image  

What an outrage! This amounts to no less than human slavery!image

Seriously speaking, if somebody has a problem with a 40-60 hour work week, then my suggestion would be to go and jump from the nearest roof. I certainly wouldn't give a crap.

• Reply 6 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

Interesting picture, that ain't China.

Judging by the people in that picture (skin color, ethnicity etc.), looks like Foxconn Brazil.

• Reply 7 of 21
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Seriously speaking, if somebody has a problem with a 40-60 hour work week, then my suggestion would be to go and jump from the nearest roof. I certainly wouldn't give a crap.

I very much doubt the workers have a problem with this- most of them travel away from their villages to work, and board at company HQ. It's the people who pretend they give a shit about the workers, but actually have an alternate agenda, that pretend to have a problem. 

• Reply 8 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I very much doubt the workers have a problem with this- most of them travel away from their villages to work, and board at company HQ. It's the people who pretend they give a shit about the workers, but actually have an alternate agenda, that pretend to have a problem. 

Yep, I agree.

When the workers are working zero hours a week (out of a job), the "activists" will finally be happy, and the workers will end up starving.

• Reply 9 of 21
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    That photo is where? Texas?

Motherboard assembly?
  • Reply 10 of 21
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Gee no one is complaining that i am working 60+ hours some weeks and not getting any over time pay. 

People in the US who work for Corporate American put in far more hours just to keep their jobs and no one is protesting in the street about this. Why is more important to worry about some Chinese workers who get paid over time (i am assuming time and half) but it is okay for us in the US to work 10 or 12 hour days and not get any over time just because we are salary.

You know I tired of all this belly aching about working long hours, When I had an hourly job and got paid time and half for over 40 hrs I looked for every opportunity to work extra hours if I could get them. I suspect the people in China are the same way, they like the extra money just like I did.

But those are the laws in China. If laws in The US were identical then you could complain. Canada's laws (in Ontario anyway) state that you have to have a 30 min break if you are working longer than 5 hours. But this may not apply in other provinces or countries. Apple (an more importantly Foxconn) must follow the laws of the land
  • Reply 10 of 21
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Judging by the people in that picture (skin color, ethnicity etc.), looks like Foxconn Brazil.

Yah, I'd guessed Texas but Brazil would be a good fit as well.

• Reply 12 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Yah, I'd guessed Texas but Brazil would be a good fit as well.

I didn't even know that Foxconn had a factory in Texas.

Do you know what they make for Apple there? iPhones? iPads? Macs?

• Reply 13 of 21
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Hon Hai Precision Industry has made some strides toward improved labor conditions, according to a new report, but the Apple supplier is still working its employees more than Chinese labor law allows...

...and less than American labor law allows.

• Reply 14 of 21
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Walk a mile in another mans shoes and things don't seem so bad

• Reply 15 of 21
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Where do I stand with my SAY NO TO SLAVERY sign?

That's difficult to say since there seems to be very little room outside Foxconn's entrance as hundreds of thousands of people try to get jobs working at the company.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

This doesn't mention if Apple's product manufacturing lines are involved. Remember Foxconn makes products for many companies.

• Reply 17 of 21
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

"Apple supplier Foxconn still exceeding work hour laws".

Clearly click bait otherwise it would just read:

"Foxconn still exceeding work hour laws".

Dunno what they are moaning about, I do 52 hours a week.

• Reply 18 of 21
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    evilution wrote: »
    Dunno what they are moaning about, I do 52 hours a week.

The workers don't seem to be the ones complaining about being allowed to work more hours. In the US working over 40 hours in a week is pretty standard, and that's without considering the US has one of the world's longest commute times.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    "Foxconn and Apple agreed to reach compliance with Chinese law by July 2013."

Nice to learn that they are flaunting the law, and that they have set their own schedule in order to respect it... How weird.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

But those are the laws in China. If laws in The US were identical then you could complain. Canada's laws (in Ontario anyway) state that you have to have a 30 min break if you are working longer than 5 hours. But this may not apply in other provinces or countries. Apple (an more importantly Foxconn) must follow the laws of the land

NO! Apple does not need to follow any of these laws as it is NOT Apple that is running these plants. Apple is only contracting for goods to be manufactured. It is between the workers, Foxconn, and China to deal with this issue.