Apple TV to get CW content in new streaming deal

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Television network The CW on Thursday announced it has reached a deal to stream content to the Apple TV, expanding its current at home digital options beyond Microsoft's Windows and Xbox platforms.

TV Now
The CW's TV Now app for Windows 8. | Source: The CW

Company CEO Mark Pedowitz made the announcement at The CW's yearly upfront presentation in New York, reports Deadline, saying the network's TV Now apps will soon hit Apple's set-top streamer.

In the pitch to advertisers, Pedowitz pointed to his network's viewership numbers, 20 percent of which originate from digital sources. That metric is likely to grow when the installed Apple TV user base is added to the equation.

The CW said the ad-supported Apple TV app will function in much the same way as its Microsoft-centric counterparts, according to MacRumors, with no cable authentication required and full episodes available the day after first airing.

While the CW Apple TV app will be the first offered by a TV network, rumors have it that cable powerhouse HBO will be bringing a dedicated streaming service to Apple's device later this year.

The CW's TV Now is already available as a free iOS app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I look forward to big changes with Apple TV this year.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    macasaurusmacasaurus Posts: 243member
    really, the CW?? that's like saying apple tv got streaming rights to all the minor league teams.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    macasaurus wrote: »
    really, the CW?? that's like saying apple tv got streaming rights to all the minor league teams.

You're being generous. That's like saying Apple got streaming rights to Kalamazoo, Michigan's tee-ball league.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    AppleTV getting Aereo...awesome. AppleTV getting CW...yawn
  • Reply 5 of 43
    etsleeetslee Posts: 18member
    CW is small but it's got 3 killer shows: Supernatural, Arrow and Vampire Diaries. I guess I won't need my iTunes season passes next year.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    ifij775 wrote: »
    AppleTV getting Aereo...awesome. AppleTV getting CW...yawn

Aereo would be significant, but I doubt it given how they're in litigation with Apple's vendors.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Hey now! I watch shows on CW. Of course, I'm already DVR-ing them, so this won't be much of a change for me. But it's not like CW doesn't have some good shows.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

The demographic makes sense.

• Reply 9 of 43
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Yawp. Expecting all of Disney's content soon.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    ...and so it begins! The cable companies days are numbered!

Let the dog see the rabbit!

I know it's over for the cable companies when I can watch Formula One on my iPad! :)
  • Reply 11 of 43
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    christophb wrote: »
    Yawp. Expecting all of Disney's content soon.
    You have tons already through Netflix.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I would love to have access to advertising sponsored program for free with the ability to pay to remove advertising on a per show basis. The problem is that if such a model was implemented and became successful the advertiser would likely loose an important percentage of its most lucrative target audience.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    11thindian11thindian Posts: 181member

On it's own this announcement may not excite everyone, but when I pair this with a interview with the head of Warner Archive Instant I listened to a few days ago, where he hinted that the service would be coming to "other streaming platforms this year", I wonder if this is more indication that expanded and/or customizable "apps" (channels) are on their way to the AppleTV in the near future.

• Reply 14 of 43
    andysol wrote: »
    You have tons already through Netflix.

Damn, I just can't find ESPN live streaming on Netflix. Someone help!
  • Reply 15 of 43
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member

BBC iplayer content and endless other global feeds....

• Reply 16 of 43
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Damn, I just can't find ESPN live streaming on Netflix. Someone help!

No doubt.
    All I need is MLB and nfl and I'd drop cable in a heartbeat. If only I could get my local team....
  • Reply 17 of 43
    andysol wrote: »
    No doubt.
    All I need is MLB and nfl and I'd drop cable in a heartbeat. If only I could get my local team....

I pay $120 and change each year to watch one MLB team. When will they figure out I don't care so much about the others and just let me pay to stream YES and My9? I'm already paying so ill probably pay again, and again, and again and n, and n+1, ...........
  • Reply 18 of 43
    When will they figure out I don't care so much about the others...

I'm pretty certain they are well aware of the viewing habits of sports fans. :D
  • Reply 19 of 43
    The content bucket is being filled 1 drop at a time.
  • Reply 20 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

...and so it begins! The cable companies days are numbered!

Let the dog see the rabbit!

I know it's over for the cable companies when I can watch Formula One on my iPad! image

Super excited!

Only thing is the pricing of the service. I'm afraid Apple may not be interested in losing exiting iTunes revenue, I sincerely hope they don't try to pull off a pay per show/season.