Cook: US-built Mac will be refreshed version of existing product

Comments

• Reply 21 of 223
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Apple's Fremont plant was highly automated.

I'd expect any Foxconn factories in the US to also be highly automated.

Labor is cheaper than automation in China. Automation is most likely cheaper than labor in the US.

That automation was why when Motorola needed to mass produce their Iridium satellites to quickly put up a fully capable constellation they grabbed  the Mac production chief IIRC. Before then (and probably after...) satellites were hand built custom one-offs.

• Reply 22 of 223
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The Mac Pro seems the most likely to me, too.

Because of the built-to-order nature of most Mac Pro purchases?

• Reply 23 of 223
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Because of the built-to-order nature of most Mac Pro purchases?

Yes, as well as all the other things mentioned, like cost, weight, and buyer location.
  • Reply 24 of 223
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

I think it's great Apple is bringing manufacturing back to the USA.  Kudos.

I rip on Apple for a lack of new products and services when compared to Google and Android over the past year or so.

No, you don't. Stop rationalizing it. You troll Apple because it gives you joy. 100% of your posts here are negative, and nearly 100% are also mind-numbingly stupid and the very definition of a troll. I just spent a couple minutes skimming through them.  A normal person, who shares your views, would have dropped all their Apple products and moved to something else, since you despise the company so much. Not spend their time trolling a company they hate. And yes, hate. You've spouted such mind-numbing drivel like predicting the imminent doom of the iPad, simply because Android tablets exist- even though all metrics show that iPad is still completely dominating sales. You mock Apple because they aren't licencing iOS, the worst move they can possibly make. You want Apple to fail, so twist everything so that they ARE failing in your reality. With with a positive story like this, your first reaction is mockery and sarcasm. It's beyond pathetic. 

• Reply 25 of 223
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Ag
    drblank wrote: »
    You have a weird sense of imagination.  So what sentence in the article led you to that thought process?  Just curious.

Agreed drblank, if Honda, Toyota, BMW, etc., can build quality products using American workers....surely apple and other companies can do the same....
  • Reply 26 of 223
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    512ke wrote: »

I rip on Apple for a lack of new products and services when compared to Google and Android over the past year or so.

Quit trolling. Apparently you were sick during the entire fall season. Tell me, what did google release.
  • Reply 27 of 223
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Why? Wouldn't a new iMac be a refresh of an existing product? A Mac Pro going in a new direction would be far closer to "new product" than "existing product", in my eyes.
    he said new model. What new model would you expect for the iMac?
  • Reply 28 of 223
    ufwaufwa Posts: 64member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

he said new model. What new model would you expect for the iMac?

He actually said "...where the company will begin producing a new version of a current Mac product later this year."

Upgrading the cpu and gpu would still fall under the vague description of "new version"

cpu/gpu refresh in imac ,mac mini, macbooks to a new mac pro design would qualify under his statement.

• Reply 29 of 223
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

When we need them, they will come….

What "new products and services" are lacking exactly? I hear a lot of surface noise regarding Google and Android, but I don't actually see them doing anything more substantial in the end-product than Apple is… enlighten me?

• Reply 30 of 223
    ejieji Posts: 39member
    I'd like to see a USA-made iMac that isn't glued together and allows user access to basic components like the fans and HDD. Even if it meant adding another 1 or (gasp!) 2mm to its side profile. Because sometimes the quest for thinness can lead down the path to absurdity.
  • Reply 31 of 223

I also think the most likely candidate for this 'new version of an existing product' is the Mac Pro. 

In every way it makes sense. Lower volume, lower cost to ship/build BTO units (which most Mac Pros are), and a slower ramp to get manufacturing up to speed.

Investing only $100 million doesn't imply a very large scale ramp either, so if it's a product requiring high output in a quarter, it would cost more to put in place, one would think...

• Reply 32 of 223

Quote:

Originally Posted by eji View Post

I'd like to see a USA-made iMac that isn't glued together and allows user access to basic components like the fans and HDD. Even if it meant adding another 1 or (gasp!) 2mm to its side profile. Because sometimes the quest for thinness can lead down the path to absurdity.

People do love moaning incessantly about Apple's design decisions… don't like it, don't buy it? But this may work for you, a new Mac Pro is coming that will likely allow you to 'customize' it to your liking… wait for it, and buy that one. The "all in one" iMac is what it is (and pretty extraordinary in my view). Personally I have no issue with it missing an optical drive, or not allowing end-user repairs and internal upgrades. Aside from the RAM, it's unlikely one would need to do anything else internally anyway...

• Reply 33 of 223
    jbcarojbcaro Posts: 47member
    Has to be the Mac Pro since it is big and doesn't require micro manual dexterity in its assembly.
  • Reply 34 of 223
    ejieji Posts: 39member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

People do love moaning incessantly about Apple's design decisions

Stating a personal preference is not moaning. Following your logic: Don't like my post? Don't read it.

It's "unlikely" to need internal access — until household dust buildup stops your fans, which then requires laborious disassembly. It's hardly contentious to say that at Apple real-world use occasionally takes a backseat to visually striking design.

The Mac Pro is significantly more expensive and has a far larger footprint than the iMac. It's not the suitable alternative that a user-accessible iMac would be.

• Reply 35 of 223
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    "...the first Mac to built completely..."

First damn sentence has a stupid typo. Why won't you proofread??
  • Reply 36 of 223
    Apple should do a big made in America advertising campaign sure China will still be producing the lions share of their products but if they could produce a couple of their marquee products "high line" versions in the US, maybe a state of the art desk top & iPhone 5" deluxe
  • Reply 37 of 223
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member
    512ke wrote: »

Since 97% of Google's revenue comes from advertising, those mysterious producst must belong to the remaining 3%. Their main product is you doing a search and then clicking on the top line search result. Usually it's Amazon or Home Depot, or Walmart.
  • Reply 38 of 223
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

A refreshed product!  Copy that, Samsung!

Correction applied.

No fee required.

• Reply 39 of 223
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Yes, Jony Ive has his work cut out for him doesn't he?

I mean, revamping a UI is one thing but to get it to look as invisible as Key Lime Pie was at Google I/O will be a monumental task.

And how fricking thin was the new Nexus 5?

When you turn that thing sideways you almost couldn't see it!

Actually, come to think of it, when you turned it to the front it was also pretty hard to see...

• Reply 40 of 223
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

Since 97% of Google's revenue comes from advertising, those mysterious producst must belong to the remaining 3%. Their main product is you doing a search and then clicking on the top line search result. Usually it's Amazon or Home Depot, or Walmart.

The number of people who seem not to understand that Google is an advertising company astonishes me.