IDC: Apple's iOS fell to 17% of smartphones shipped in Q1, Windows Phone passed BlackBerry

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 139
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

The iPhone 4 and 4S were nearly identical.

So, in other words, "similar externally"!
  • Reply 122 of 139
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member
    Apple is silent for a reason right now. They have been in overdrive with some new major technological breakthrough. Say bye-bye lithium batteries. Say hello to all mobile products updated at once. That is what I think.

What if Liquid metal was simply a mean to solve a problem related energy? What about having your iphone/ipad/macbook last a week without running out of power? What if you could then instantly recharge it in 2 seconds? Then what?

For those who think that Apple "simply ran out of ideas" are really not in touch with reality.
  • Reply 123 of 139
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member
    drewys808 wrote: »
    ...figures.
    And let me guess, you're also a stock analyst.

Bad guess. Bond analyst and not sell side.
  • Reply 124 of 139
    You actually know Carl Icahn's record? Why don't you give us that data (say, 1-yr, 5-yr, 10-yr, against S&P), and provide a citation for the source?

I'm guessing you don't know IEP is a public company and owns 40 percent of Icahn's hedge fund. It's all there is 10k's and 10q's if you want to see. I certainly have no reason to do the work for someone that is simply lazy.
  • Reply 125 of 139
    hill60 wrote: »
    More guesses.

What is known is that, based on reported profit, Samsung made 94.7% of Android handset revenue, LG made 2.5%, and those companies you referred to made miserable earnings out of their share of the remaining 2.7%.

Apple made DOUBLE what Samsung made, compared to Apple all those other manufacturers add up to less than a rounding error.

What is a lie is saying Samsung made half of what Apple did. That is a lie and can be verified as such via public filings. They are growing earnings MUCH quicker also.
  • Reply 126 of 139
    jdnc123 wrote: »
    What is a lie is saying Samsung made half of what Apple did. That is a lie and can be verified as such via public filings. They are growing earnings MUCH quicker also.

So how much did Samsung electronics make last Quarter?

How much did Apple make?

I get a 70/30 split of smartphone market revenues, how about you?

btw you benefit out of market turbulence, if you lost on Apple, I wouldn't invest a brass nickel with whoever you work for.

In the field you're in there is only room for winners, now dump your AAPL and invest in Dell.

Their prospects are limitless.
  • Reply 127 of 139
    you may not like the data if you are in europe or america. the REST of the world in asia and afirca
    use android.
  • Reply 128 of 139
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    So
    tunde4eva wrote: »
    you may not like the data if you are in europe or america. the REST of the world in asia and afirca
    use android.

So true cheap sells better than expensive. Not because they are better only much much cheaper.

One more thing they are more manufacturers making android phones too with the aim of racing to the bottom in price.
  • Reply 129 of 139

OR........... Samsung just don't play the same games Apple do. 

It's well documented that Apple have for years released a new product then let it "Go out of stock" quickly to drive interest, Samsung however don't play that game, they simply make sure they have enough stock available to meet all demand. I work in the industry & I can assure you there's nothing more frustrating EVERY year when Apple do that, I can also state that demand for the S4 has been every bit as high as demand when a new iPhone comes out.

• Reply 130 of 139
    mrmisters wrote: »
    OR........... Samsung just don't play the same games Apple do. 

It's well documented that Apple have for years released a new product then let it "Go out of stock" quickly to drive interest, Samsung however don't play that game, they simply make sure they have enough stock available to meet all demand. I work in the industry & I can assure you there's nothing more frustrating EVERY year when Apple do that, I can also state that demand for the S4 has been every bit as high as demand when a new iPhone comes out.

Working in the industry myself Samsung did exactly that, small shipment that ran out quickly, a larger shipment of white with no black for a week then plenty of both, there was a bit of interest which petered out, day in day out iPhone sales continued as normal.

Interest was nowhere near an iPhone launch, where queues back up, out the door and all staff are called in.

iPhone launch days are bigger than Christmas.

The S4 launch was nowhere near it.

The big losers are HTC and Sony where interest in the One and the Xperia Z dropped to zero.

Sales of the SIII also dropped and the S2 fell to zero, we have plenty of stock of those.

Galaxy Mini 2 and Ace sales are also solid.

Anecdotal evidence from an industry insider.
  • Reply 131 of 139
    So how much did Samsung electronics make last Quarter?

How much did Apple make?

I get a 70/30 split of smartphone market revenues, how about you?

btw you benefit out of market turbulence, if you lost on Apple you are incompetent, I wouldn't invest a brass nickel with whoever you work for.

You are a loser plain and simple, in the field you're in there is only room for winners, now dump your AAPL and invest in Dell.

Their prospects are limitless.

So how are you allocating r&d, g&a to just the smartphone business? You don't know exactly how net income apple made on just smartphones any more than we know how much of samsung's net income is just from smartphones. This just in, revenue does not equal profit. On a company wide basis, we know apple did not make twice as much as apple because its all their to see. It has been reported that Samsung made 95 percent of the 5 billion profit from android phones last qtr. Apple did about 9.5 billion of net income, so the math would say they made nothing on all other products for your contention to be accurate.

Enjoy your career in retail. Very challenging and mentally stimulating.
  • Reply 132 of 139
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by MrMisters View Post

It's well documented that Apple have for years released a new product then let it "Go out of stock" quickly to drive interest…

It's well documented that this DOESN'T happen, so don't say it does.

I work in the industry…

What "industry"?

…I can assure you there's nothing more frustrating EVERY year when Apple do that…

Well, maybe if you'd pay attention to what they're actually doing you wouldn't be frustrated.

…I can also state that demand for the S4 has been every bit as high as demand when a new iPhone comes out.

I also don't buy that.

• Reply 133 of 139
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    kdarling wrote: »
    Likewise, Samsung sales are in progress.   I'm sure you'll acknowledge that they will sell at least 10 million to end users, even if it takes a few weeks after the retailer count is reported.

Don't forget that Apple is very often in the exact same situation of end user sales taking a while, after they get their production caught up.  They also count shipments that are filling up the inventory channel.  Heck, at least count there's over 11 million iPhones like that.  

<span style="line-height:1.231;">Most products sell through eventually.  </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">Unless it's a real sales dud (like that Facebook phone seems to be), debating sales vs. shipped is just picking temporary nits.  Good mental exercise, but meaningless in a few months.</span>

It will affect Apple first, because their average prices are higher, but yes... high end saturation is expected to affect Samsung as well.
    Again, it seems to me there is a big difference. When the iPhone 5 launched and Apple announced 5M sales in 3 days it was pretty much out of stock everywhere. Maybe some 64GB black models but for the most part out of stock. Which leads me to believe it was 5M sales to consumers (even if many didnt get their phones that weekend). In this case I'm not seeing the S4 out of stock anywhere or anecdotal stories about how difficult it is to get. Now maybe Samsung has millions of phones in a warehouse somewhere based on estimated demand and is able to easily keep resellers stocked. But I'm not really buying that. Most likely this is 10M in to the channel, which no doubt Samsung will sell, but they want to give the impression they're selling them a lot faster then they probably are.
  • Reply 134 of 139
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Working in the industry myself Samsung did exactly that, small shipment that ran out quickly, a larger shipment of white with no black for a week then plenty of both, there was a bit of interest which petered out, day in day out iPhone sales continued as normal.

What kind of phone store do you work at?  Is it large?  Or a kiosk? Is it in a good location?

Quote:

What is known is that, based on reported profit, Samsung made 94.7% of Android handset revenue, LG made 2.5%, and those companies you referred to made miserable earnings out of their share of the remaining 2.7%.

You might notice from other posts that I don't think much of percentages without knowing actual numbers.  I've also been around long enough to usually think in terms of years, and not just about right now. 

• Remember when Apple only thought they could get 1% of the world smartphone market?  Huawei is already over 4%.

• In 2008, Apple's net profits from iPhones were around $1.4B to $2.0B.   Huawei's current net profits are $2.5B.

It's doubtful that Huawei thinks their earnings or share are "miserable", any more than Apple thought theirs were miserable a few years ago.

Everything is relative. Everybody starts from nothing  :)

• Reply 135 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

blah blah blah

blah blah blah

• Reply 136 of 139
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

blah blah blah

*laughing*  

Yep, it's great that Apple and Samsung make a ton of money.  More power to them.  Yet there's also smaller makers who are happy with their own share of the market.

There are smartphone firms springing up all over the place in Asia.  Some are like custom boutiques.

For example, little Xiaomi has many hardcore fans, because even though it only sells a few million phones a year, it constantly accepts and implements fan suggestions, so there's an update almost every WEEK to the software.  Talk about responding to customer feedback!   That's pretty cool.

There's room for all sorts of phones and makers.  Not everyone needs billions to survive.

• Reply 137 of 139
    Why do so many people seem mad that OEMs can use Android to allow less developed nations and their citizens to access a mostly compatible smartphone and tablet OS?

Why must these Android users be deemed less worthy and by some as less human?

That's really disgusting but yea.
  • Reply 138 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by realitychecks View Post

Why do so many people seem mad that OEMs can use Android to allow less developed nations and their citizens to access a mostly compatible smartphone and tablet OS?

Why must these Android users be deemed less worthy and by some as less human?

That's really disgusting but yea.

No problem with that, my problem is with those who automatically assume that Android is based on high end devices due to applying their world view on others then constantly harping on about it.

Fact is, and here is where we agree, it's not.

Apple and the bulk of Android occupy different spaces.

• Reply 139 of 139
    No problem with that, my problem is with those who automatically assume that Android is based on high end devices due to applying their world view on others then constantly harping on about it.

Fact is, and here is where we agree, it's not.

Apple and the bulk of Android occupy different spaces.

Most fanboy arguments are based on half truths and lies. Or irrelevancies.

Never understood why it matters who is on more devices.