Cook: US-built Mac will be refreshed version of existing product

Comments

• Reply 61 of 223
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    People do love moaning incessantly about Apple's design decisions… don't like it, don't buy it?
    We don't buy it. Beyond that it is always important to offer a manufacture your opinions. Sometimes they see the error of their ways like with the VESA mount.
    But this may work for you, a new Mac Pro is coming that will likely allow you to 'customize' it to your liking… wait for it, and buy that one. The "all in one" iMac is what it is (and pretty extraordinary in my view). Personally I have no issue with it missing an optical drive, or not allowing end-user repairs and internal upgrades. Aside from the RAM, it's unlikely one would need to do anything else internally anyway...

This is garbage! I've had far more problems over the years with hard drives than anything else.
  • Reply 62 of 223
    thinkknot wrote: »
    Probably a good excuse to make the argument for a tax holiday for Apple. Showing the govt that they're serious about spending the money back in the USA.

These corporations don't need a tax holiday. What the need is a rational tax rate. Especially when those foreign incomes have already been taxed overseas. 35% is just stupid as you want American companies to be successful outside of the US.
  • Reply 63 of 223
    philboogie wrote: »
    Probably not, if history is any indication. It usually is 'the same' as PeeCee's Workstations. Price wise it's also roughly the same. But, like Steve said at AllThingsD: "It's all in the software"
    I've been thinking a lot about the possibilities here, I still see major changes for the Mac Pro. Honestly why would you continue a product direction that has basically failed? The question is which direction does Apple go.
    Besides, I like the Apple design of the Power Mac, nee, Mac Pro. Dell Workstation, not so much.

So? Does this mean you would be incapable of liking anything else Apple makes that might replace the Pro?

I look at it this way, technology has drastically changed Apples laptop line up and even the iMac. It is about time for a technology overhaul of the desktop line up.
  • Reply 64 of 223
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    v5v wrote: »
    DRIVES, on the other hand, are frequently replaced around here, partly due to failures and partly for increased capacity.

Tell me about it; I just bought another 3TB HDD to replace a smaller one. When I put the old one in a drawer I was surprised to see 8 older HDD's. Still functional, but small on capacity.
  • Reply 65 of 223
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Probably not, if history is any indication. It usually is 'the same' as PeeCee's Workstations. Price wise it's also roughly the same. But, like Steve said at AllThingsD: "It's all in the software"
    I've been thinking a lot about the possibilities here, I still see major changes for the Mac Pro. Honestly why would you continue a product direction that has basically failed? The question is which direction does Apple go.
    Besides, I like the Apple design of the Power Mac, nee, Mac Pro. Dell Workstation, not so much.

So? Does this mean you would be incapable of liking anything else Apple makes that might replace the Pro?

I look at it this way, technology has drastically changed Apples laptop line up and even the iMac. It is about time for a technology overhaul of the desktop line up.

You think the MP was a failure? That might be true in terms of numbers sold, profits maybe as well. But still, I don't think the MP as a computer has failed; all owners I know are very happy with it. A friend of mine bought a new one earlier this year, he didn't mind 'all the shortcomings' I've read here. He just needed a new one as his current one died. So he couldn't wait for a new model.

2. Yes I can like a change of the MP, once revealed. But right now I have all my older ones, all lined up, looking like a museum. Silly, I know. But an overhaul of the desktop line is of course limited to what's available on the market. Theoretically they could design and build their own CPU/GPU, but I don't think that'll happen as they've always tried to improve on the things competitors were doing and understanding that they shouldn't try 'to do it all themselves'.
  • Reply 66 of 223
    igamogam wrote: »
    This move does not fill me with confidence… Most American made products I have owned or used were pretty poor in terms of build quality, like Italian made goods but not so stylish.
    Which of course is complete bull shit!
    Every time I visit the US I come away feeling that for Americans price beats quality and everything IS cheap!
    There is no logical reason to pay high prices just for the sake of high prices. This is one thing that has always bothered me about Europe, people there equate high prices with quality when the two aren't linked at all.
    Although there is obviously tremendous pride in American made products they seem old-fashioned and inefficient compared to what the rest of the world uses. Perhaps I generalise but I can't think of a single American made item that sells well in Europe because they are generally perceived as not being very good.
    That is your personal bias coming through and frankly is one of considerable ignorance. The biggest problem American companies have in Europe is protectionism and irrational regulation. In many cases it isn't a market worth bothering with.
    Amongst visible American companies that do well Apple products seem to be an exception in that they are viewed as stylish and well made
    Another common problem in Europe is the need to be stylish.
    but the only other visible US high-street presences that jump to mind are Starbucks and fast food outlets. Even McD claim to sell 100% Swiss/French/British Beef/Wheat/Lettice (in their respective markets) because no one particularly wants to eat US grown produce as it is viewed as drug laden GM/Frankenstein food.
    No you guys prefer horse meat when it is called beef.

As to the food we grow it is perfectly fine and is yet another example of endemic ignorance in Europe. Anything that is truly new gets rejected out of hand, without a bit of rational support for that rejection. The fact is humans have been modifying their food chain for centuries now, things have advanced recently to make these mutations more predictable but that is all it really is.
    I wouldn't be surprised if people over here would plump for the Made in China version given the choice.
    Again it would be yet another example of European ignorance. In this case making buying decisions based upon bias, often based on distorted images of the USA.
  • Reply 67 of 223
    You think the MP was a failure? That might be true in terms of numbers sold, profits maybe as well. But still, I don't think the MP as a computer has failed; all owners I know are very happy with it. A friend of mine bought a new one earlier this year, he didn't mind 'all the shortcomings' I've read here. He just needed a new one as his current one died. So he couldn't wait for a new model.
    It is a failure in the sense that sales have been so bad that Apple has considered canceling the machine completely. It is also a failure in respect to keeping up with technology. The current Mac Pro is very old technology.

2. Yes I can like a change of the MP, once revealed. But right now I have all my older ones, all lined up, looking like a museum. Silly, I know.
    Yes a bit silly. Don't you get frustrated with the wasted space?
    But an overhaul of the desktop line is of course limited to what's available on the market. Theoretically they could design and build their own CPU/GPU, but I don't think that'll happen as they've always tried to improve on the things competitors were doing and understanding that they shouldn't try 'to do it all themselves'.

In the case of the Mac Pro I suspect it will remain Intel for a long time. However Intel has a lot of interesting things in the labs that could really make for an interesting Mac Pro revision. I don't see Apple dropping i86, in some form, in its Macs. If they where to go to ARM it would be in separate products.
  • Reply 68 of 223
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    eji wrote: »
    I'd like to see a USA-made iMac that isn't glued together and allows user access to basic components like the fans and HDD. Even if it meant adding another 1 or (gasp!) 2mm to its side profile. Because sometimes the quest for thinness can lead down the path to absurdity.

And sometimes the endless criticism from people who don't know what they're talking about gets even more absurd.

There are many reasons for Apple's design decisions. They consider cost. They consider the number of people who ever actually upgrade a given model. They consider heat. They consider performance. They consider ease of assembly. They consider durability. They consider about 1,000 other factors.

Apple felt that the tradeoffs between durability and upgradeability favored the current design. If you disagree, go ahead and start your own company and make computers that compete with Apple.
  • Reply 69 of 223
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

@jragosta

What an arrogant rant!

Quote:

Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

In addition, I am pretty certain that more than half of all Mac Pros are already bought and used in the US.  

That's easy.

Sold units in the EU: Zero

• Reply 70 of 223
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Tell me about it; I just bought another 3TB HDD to replace a smaller one. When I put the old one in a drawer I was surprised to see 8 older HDD's. Still functional, but small on capacity.

But with Thunderbolt, that's less of an issue. You can easily add a second hard drive that's every bit as fast as the internal one. PLUS, it's easy to take it with you when you switch to a different computer.
  • Reply 71 of 223
    wizard69 wrote: »
    It is a failure in the sense that sales have been so bad that Apple has considered canceling the machine completely. It is also a failure in respect to keeping up with technology. The current Mac Pro is very old technology.

I'm not up to speed on what's available for CPU's. The GPU I know is outdated, and not seeing a refresh for such a long time is indeed strange. Though I do believe Apple thinks that people who need some superduper GPU will buy their own, whatever they put in the MP. Supposedly there isn't a CPU worthy of yet another speed bumped Mac Pro.

2. Yes I can like a change of the MP, once revealed. But right now I have all my older ones, all lined up, looking like a museum. Silly, I know.
    Yes a bit silly. Don't you get frustrated with the wasted space?

I actually put them all again my kitchen wall, beneath shelves. Some friends don't even notice them instantly.
    But an overhaul of the desktop line is of course limited to what's available on the market. Theoretically they could design and build their own CPU/GPU, but I don't think that'll happen as they've always tried to improve on the things competitors were doing and understanding that they shouldn't try 'to do it all themselves'.

In the case of the Mac Pro I suspect it will remain Intel for a long time. However Intel has a lot of interesting things in the labs that could really make for an interesting Mac Pro revision. I don't see Apple dropping i86, in some form, in its Macs. If they where to go to ARM it would be in separate products.

1. Good point.
    2. Hmm, a separate product line, with ARM. Something to think about.
  • Reply 72 of 223
    jragosta wrote: »
    eji wrote: »
    I'd like to see a USA-made iMac that isn't glued together and allows user access to basic components like the fans and HDD. Even if it meant adding another 1 or (gasp!) 2mm to its side profile. Because sometimes the quest for thinness can lead down the path to absurdity.

And sometimes the endless criticism from people who don't know what they're talking about gets even more absurd.

There are many reasons for Apple's design decisions. They consider cost. They consider the number of people who ever actually upgrade a given model. They consider heat. They consider performance. They consider ease of assembly. They consider durability. They consider about 1,000 other factors.

Apple felt that the tradeoffs between durability and upgradeability favored the current design. If you disagree, go ahead and start your own company and make computers that compete with Apple.

Good point. Those that want what he describes should buy a Mac Pro.
  • Reply 73 of 223
    smalm wrote: »
    Sold units in the EU: Zero

From Apple, and not because they can't. This was imposed on them; its EU regulation. You can still buy a Mac Pro here in the Netherlands from Authorized resellers, like this one:
    http://www.mailamac.nl/mac-pro-2x-2-4ghz-6-core-intel-xeon
  • Reply 74 of 223
    jragosta wrote: »

But with Thunderbolt, that's less of an issue. You can easily add a second hard drive that's every bit as fast as the internal one. PLUS, it's easy to take it with you when you switch to a different computer.

True, but I'm using a Mac Pro and simply swap HDD's when they become full, or stick em in a new MP when my current one dies.
  • Reply 75 of 223
    Sorry for all the individual posts, but it's easier for me than a Multi-reply. Gees, another post
  • Reply 76 of 223
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

Since 97% of Google's revenue comes from advertising, those mysterious producst must belong to the remaining 3%. Their main product is you doing a search and then clicking on the top line search result. Usually it's Amazon or Home Depot, or Walmart.

That's funny, I specifically go out of my way to avoid those top "ad" links.

• Reply 77 of 223
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Yup, Mac Pro would also have been my guess: it's a product line with low volume thus suitable for ramping up production without instantly having to produce millions of units.

It's also a high end product, often BTO so there are cost savings not having to air ship them, and with a high price item slightly higher production costs won't have as much an impact on the overall profit margin as expressed in percent, which is what makes investors nervous if they see that number drop.

Plus, they're only making and selling about 12 of them a year.

• Reply 78 of 223
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

NeXT had US assembly. There is a video of the plant somewhere online but I can't seem to locate it.

In fact the old NeXT plant (Fremont, CA) would be perfect for this (assuming it is the Mac Pro). That plant was tiny. Fairly low volume too. Basically one or two straight line assembly lines and some warehouse space and conference rooms.

• Reply 79 of 223
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    hmm wrote: »

Do you recall the 2004 failure based on the same mentality?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203633104576623771022129888.html

Even the heritage foundation  doesn't like it.

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2011/10/would-another-repatriation-tax-holiday-create-jobs

It just takes current problems and kicks them further out.

That's the American way. Why solve a problem when you can make more money (or keep your job) by pushing it down the road.
  • Reply 80 of 223
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

That's the American way. Why solve a problem when you can make more money (or keep your job) by pushing it down the road.

I know. The problem is such behavior is recursive, and if these companies are not short on investment funds, it makes sense for them (edit: not) to refresh the process once the tax holiday has passed. I hope they don't issue one, as there's no motivation to block out better long term solutions if the issues do not present immediate problems. If that was the case this would no longer be an issue.