Server-side update makes Siri a stickler for succinctness

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Message. Just going to keep talking and talking and talking and talking and talking and talking and talking and talking and talking. Did anyone catch modern family last night. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Was going to see Star Trek tomorrow? I'm looking forward to it however I do think it's right that JJ Abrams gets Star Trek and Star Wars.

So all that was done with Siri dictation and it didn't cut me off.

edit: If you're not happy with dictation from the browser, despite it still accessing the same service, I have one repeating that message from the locked phone where I tell Siri I want to send a text message, but I'll need to edit out the send-to name I used before I post the picture.

The bottom line is a coincidental occurrence doesn't mean you're service is affected, and the notion that no one can ever more than 82 characters (which is half a text message) without it saying it's too long it's complete bullshit.
  • Reply 42 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So all that was done with Siri dictation and it didn't cut me off.

On an iOS device? Dictation as in the keyboard dictation directly on the forum or via Siri into Messages and you've copied it here?

• Reply 43 of 68
    On an iOS device? Dictation as in the keyboard dictation directly on the forum or via Siri into Messages and you've copied it here?

• Reply 44 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

[image]

Makes me wonder what the conditions really are for getting her to say that.

"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

EDIT: Nope, she handles that… 

• Reply 45 of 68
    Makes me wonder what the conditions really are for getting her to say that.

"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

EDIT: Nope, she handles that… 

Servers happen to be overloaded? The connection speed is poor thus making the time to transmit the voice data too long to be feasible? I have no idea but I have yet to have an issue. All my tests have been via WiFi to a fast cable internet connection, but that's irrelevant to the claim that it can't even do a half a text message.

edit: BTW, that's just in regards to the OP's specific issue, not with this article that is having Siri teach users that while a more wordy request might be ideal for humans a less wordy request is better for a computer's ability to parse data, which has no barring on dictation.
  • Reply 46 of 68
    akacakac Posts: 512member

Mine was simple when I did it earlier this week:

Quote:

Text my wife Can you get some coffee and stop by Starbucks on your way? Its got a drive through.

With that - I got the message it was too long. To be honest I haven't tried it since because since then, uncharacteristically I haven't had to leave the house. But you agree that the above message is short enough? Its possible Apple has removed or tweaked it. If so - good. This was a stupid idea on their part.

• Reply 47 of 68

Quote:

edit: BTW, that's just in regards to the OP's specific issue, not with this article that is having Siri teach users that while a more wordy request might be ideal for humans a less wordy request is better for a computer's ability to parse data, which has no barring on dictation.

Siri's whole point is that it understands like a human. Apple's whole DNA is about working like a human does, not how a computer does.

Irregardless however is that the error that Siri was presenting was not about wordy requests. The only request was "text my wife". The rest of the message was dictation.. and for that reason this error message is wrong. 

I honestly can't see how you can support this change. I'll try it again soon to see if they have changed things.

• Reply 48 of 68
    akac wrote: »
    Mine was simple when I did it earlier this week:

With that - I got the message it was too long. To be honest I haven't tried it since because since then, uncharacteristically I haven't had to leave the house. But you agree that the above message is short enough? Its possible Apple has removed or tweaked it. If so - good. This was a stupid idea on their part.

As shown several time much longer messages have been and still working as they should. That should make you consider why your message didn't work. Are you completely sure your dictation was too long; not your query? If you don't understand what I mean by that then you've made my case. Hint: It sounds like you're conflating two things. Have you tried to send that exact same message again?
  • Reply 49 of 68

Quote:

As shown several time much longer messages have been and still working as they should. That should make you consider why your message didn't work. Are you completely sure your dictation was too long; not your query? If you don't understand what I mean by that then you've made my case. Have you tried to send that exact same message again? Di

Seriously you're still supporting that my dictation was too long? I've been using Siri since it first came out and I've done texts WAY longer than that. How can you possibly support this? Its like you're on some sort of blind drive that Apple can do no wrong. 

Look I'm a developer and I worked at Apple. In both cases it was and still is extremely important to identify when you're wrong, when you do things that simply don't work. 

I gave you the exact text I dictated to Siri. You have to admit that it was not too long. No I have not tried it since because I haven't needed to. I will try it again when I need to, not because some person on AI bullied me to. 

The point I am making is that the original issue - whether it exists or not today - was a mistake by Apple. If they fixed it by now, then great and I'll be quite happy about it because I like using Siri. I am only talking about my original experience because you're attacking that. 

• Reply 50 of 68

So I tried it just now because I was curious if they have resolved the issue - it seems they have which is great.

However every single post I wrote was to support my original event and I still stand by all of them. Period.

• Reply 51 of 68
    [quote name="Akac" url="/t/157523/server-side-update-makes-siri-a-stickler-for-succinctness/40#post_2328771"]
    Seriously you're still supporting that my dictation was too long?[/QUOTE]

No! Which is the part you clearly aren't understanding about this conversion, this change in Siri, and your fallacious [I]post hoc ergo propter hoc[/I] conclusion.
  • Reply 52 of 68

Quote:

No! Which is the part you clearly aren't understanding about this conversion, this change in Siri, and your fallacious post hoc ergo propter hoc conclusion.

What are you talking about? I clearly understand the conversation. Apple made a change to Siri that was bad. I wrote about that. Nothing else. Its obvious they fixed the problem or tweaked it based on negative reports. 

You could've simply said that "Your issue existed, but now doesn't." Instead you argue for no reason except to see your words on a page it seems. You're acting like one of my children did years back when I had to explain to them they didn't need to put others down to raise themselves up. 

• Reply 53 of 68
    akac wrote: »
    What are you talking about? I clearly understand the conversation. Apple made a change to Siri that was bad. I wrote about that. Nothing else. Its obvious they fixed the problem or tweaked it based on negative reports. 

You could've simply said that "Your issue existed, but now doesn't." Instead you argue for no reason except to see your words on a page it seems. You're acting like one of my children did years back when I had to explain to them they didn't need to put others down to raise themselves up. 

This is exactly my point. You don't understand that dictation is not the same a query. You think that it's more likely that you read an article about a change and Siri didn't work properly once so make a connection that you would have otherwise ignored. You think it's more likely that Siri made it impossible for you to dictate "half a text message" as opposed to Siri simply not properly understanding and parsing your initial query to send a text message in the first place. You are not realizing that Siri first has to understand the initial triggers that you want to 1) send a text message, and 2) send it to a particular person. If it doesn't properly pick up on that fact then all dictation immediately following is wasted. I can't tell you how many times Siri missed that and said it didn't understand or wanted to search the web instead, but you've ignored those to instead state that Siri had an issue with the length of your dictation and only your dictation with a leading message but I don't recall mentioning that you had the standard leading message that said "What message do you want to send to [your wife]?"
  • Reply 54 of 68

You guys have given me a great idea for a viral you-tube. I'm going fire up SIRI on my daughter's ip5 and active google talk on the sammy and see what turns out. I predict they'll be like an old husband and wife within seconds.

• Reply 55 of 68
    solipsismx wrote: »
    This is exactly my point. You don't understand that dictation is not the same a query. You think that it's more likely that you read an article about a change and Siri didn't work properly once so make a connection that you would have otherwise ignored. You think it's more likely that Siri made it impossible for you to dictate "half a text message" as opposed to Siri simply not properly understanding and parsing your initial query to send a text message in the first place. You are not realizing that Siri first has to understand the initial triggers that you want to 1) send a text message, and 2) send it to a particular person. If it doesn't properly pick up on that fact then all dictation immediately following is wasted. I can't tell you how many times Siri missed that and said it didn't understand or wanted to search the web instead, but you've ignored those to instead state that Siri had an issue with the length of your dictation and only your dictation with a leading message but I don't recall mentioning that you had the standard leading message that said "What message do you want to send to [your wife]?"
    I think you are assuming that he is wrong and you don't have all the facts. Maybe Siri was giving this message in error on texts and that has been fixed but I received it myself several times on texts. So for you to assume he is wrong just because the issue may now be fixed is ridiculous. I tried every way possible to send texts and received this message many times. I did in fact try the method of send message to... Then wait for Siri to ask what I wanted to say and I still got one of her smart assed replies. Like I said, maybe that was an error and has since been fixed, but you can't argue with me that it happened and it was a horrible user experience. I have a very long commute to work and use Siri quite often while driving. Never had a problem before this. It did happen. Apple made a mistake and it sounds like they have hopefully corrected it.
  • Reply 56 of 68
    Never had a problem before this. It did happen.

It is so statistically unlikely that you've never once tried to use Siri and not been able to connect or get the result you intended that it's bullshit. You may want to look up the word apophenia.
  • Reply 57 of 68
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It is so statistically unlikely that you've never once tried to use Siri and not been able to connect or get the result you intended that it's bullshit. You may want to look up the word apophenia.
    Way to take one line and blow it completely out of context and ignore the main issue of the post. Well done. Obviously I have had issues where Siri has misunderstood something I said or cut me off in the middle if talking but I've never had an issue before where I was completely unable to get her to send a message I was attempting to send because she thought it was too long. And in fact they are not unrelated because I got the same smart assed responses that the article was talking about.
    Maybe you should look up the term jack ass
  • Reply 58 of 68
    Update: I just attempted to use Siri to send a long message to my wife and it worked fine. Once again, it appears that Apple has corrected what was obviously a mistake but that doesn't mean the issue never happened.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    Way to take one line and blow it completely out of context and ignore the main issue of the post. Well done. Obviously I have had issues where Siri has misunderstood something I said or cut me off in the middle if talking but I've never had an issue before where I was completely unable to get her to send a message I was attempting to send because she thought it was too long. And in fact they are not unrelated because I got the same smart assed responses that the article was talking about.
    Maybe you should look up the term jack ass

1) Don't recall to name calling because I called you on your obvious exaggeration.

2) It's not fault you and the OP have resort to conflating two incidents and direct interconnected despite having no proof to support your feelings except a relative timeline that you're both only aware of because of a noted change via this site despite the actual change happening a week or two prior. Even Dirk Gently would look for a more plausible answer.
  • Reply 60 of 68

Quote:

1) Don't recall to name calling because I called you on your obvious exaggeration.

2) It's not fault you and the OP have resort to conflating two incidents and direct interconnected despite having no proof to support your feelings except a relative timeline that you're both only aware of because of a noted change via this site despite the actual change happening a week or two prior. Even Dirk Gently would look for a more plausible answer.

1. You are right, I shouldn't have resorted to name calling and I apologize.  In a way though my first statement was correct.  While I have experienced problems with Siri misunderstanding me or not connecting in the past, I was never before completely unable to send the message that I wanted to send because Siri happened to think it was too long.

2. The reason I was frustrated and resorted to name calling was because I don't like people trying to explain to me that something didn't happen when in fact I know that it happened. You are going off conjecture and supposition and trying to explain away something that I experienced.  I know how to use Siri.  I used it thousands of times to send messages to people.  Apple made a change to Siri and the service stopped working as it had in the past.  Evidently they have realized their error and fixed the messaging to work correctly; however, that does not mean that it wasn't working incorrectly before.  And its insulting for you to try to imply that I am confused or don't know how to use my phone because you evidently don't want to admit that Apple made a mistake.  As I have said multiple times in this thread, I attempted to send this message many different ways and all of them gave me back one of Siri's lovely new smart ass replies.  If it was unrelated to what the article is talking about then why would I have received the exact replies that are mentioned in the article?

I am the first to admit that there are many people on this forum who are much more versed than I in matters of programming and code, but I do know how to use my phone.