10M Samsung flagship phones in 28 days a 'record,' 5M iPhone 5 in 3 days 'disappointing'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 213
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loptimist View Post

I think the market is fairly concentrated these days even more than when iPhone 5 came out.

Be it iPhone 5/4s, Galaxy S3/Note 2, ONE, Nexus 4, Xperia Z, Optimus G Pro, all of them seem to perform well for most of common tasks...

Frankly, probably each has more cpu/gpu power than those smartphone sized/compatible apps may demand.

I think it is quite impressive that Galaxy S4 can still fight well against other competitors even when many consumers find no need to switch,

and am wondering how many people would stick to iPhone for its next cycle soon.

iOS 7 better be good this time.

Well the Galaxy S4 (LTE model) has exactly the same Qualcomm CPU and GPU as the HTC One, however they over clock it to 1.9GHz rather than 1.7GHz, both have 2GB of the same RAM.

What Samsung has is a multi-billion dollar marketing budget, hype in overdrive and a ruthless desire for absolute domination.

• Reply 42 of 213
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Well the Galaxy S4 (LTE model) has exactly the same Qualcomm CPU and GPU as the HTC One, however they over clock it to 1.9GHz rather than 1.7GHz, both have 2GB of the same RAM.

What Samsung has is a multi-billion dollar marketing budget, hype in overdrive.
    Yep. And unibody aluminum with chamfered edges can't beat a $12B marketing budget.
  • Reply 43 of 213
    loptimistloptimist Posts: 113member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

their fabs are different, which actually makes some difference in quality...

but you are right that practically speaking, real world experience would be about the same.  

Also, Exynos equipped Galaxy S4 has big.LITTLE core and it seems like will be fully supported by Google staring late June.  I am more curious about that version than the US version which you rightly point out as not really special in terms of hardware.

but come on guys, it's kinda weird to see iPhone users to talk/belittle about specs...

• Reply 44 of 213
    shardshard Posts: 96member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

And yet it is so much more sluggish than the HTC One. Go figure. It is speculated that they use very cheap and slow flash memory.

Anyway, shipped does not mean sold. Every where I go, I see the S4 in stock and sitting on shelves. Compared to the iPhone 5 that was sold out for months.

• Reply 45 of 213
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm hoping to get a Nobel Peace Prize for my contributions to AI.

You got my vote.
  • Reply 46 of 213
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I finally got the chance to use one in person. My niece just got one. Her last phone was an iPhone 4S and she was due for an upgrade and didn't want an iPhone 5 because of the small screen size. I was pretty impressed. Very light and really beautiful screen to my eyes at least. I didn't use it for long, only about 3 minutes but it felt snappy and responsive. My niece said she far preferred it over the 4S just for the screen. Many here might dismiss it as cheap or plastic crap but the reviews seem very good overall from actual users. 

Since it is becoming less and less likely thatApple will release a larger screen this year I might not bother waiting and just upgrade to the Galaxy S4 myself while I can still get a decent price for my iPhone 5 and hope Apple releases a larger version next year. 

• Reply 47 of 213
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It's all about expectations. Derek Jeter comes up to bat and he's expected to hit a single or a double but if ARod is up to bat a homerun is expected.

^This.

Here's to hoping Apple either communicates their estimated targets or at least units available at launch (shipped will equate to sold day 1). If that doesn't work, just take it private. The Street has been a distraction.
  • Reply 48 of 213
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rogifan wrote: »
    So the 5M figure included returned devices? Or stores were out of stock because Apple couldn't make them fast enough? Again, my question is what % of the 5M in 3 days Apple reported was channel inventory compared to the same for Samsung's 10M in 30 days.

Near 0 for Apple as they sold out that first weekend.
    rogifan wrote: »
    Yep. And unibody aluminum with chamfered edges can't beat a $12B marketing budget.

When Sammy smothers the airwaves with ads, it's tough for other Android vendors to get the word out.
  • Reply 49 of 213
    loptimistloptimist Posts: 113member

Quote:

Originally Posted by shard View Post

And yet it is so much more sluggish than the HTC One. Go figure. It is speculated that they use very cheap and slow flash memory.

Anyway, shipped does not mean sold. Every where I go, I see the S4 in stock and sitting on shelves. Compared to the iPhone 5 that was sold out for months.

Not trying to say S4 is better than One, but what you are saying is completely wrong.

S4 uses DDR3, HTC ONE uses DDR2. (fact).

Note 3 and iPhone 5S are likely to use next-gen/PC-grade DDR3. (speculation).

Also, I am not sure whether being sold out means much to Samsung, because they just mass produce so well and may be they predicted demands so well.  Nexus 4 sold out in a few minutes, but that does not translate to its record-breaking sales record.

You might be completely right that there are stocks sitting around due to lackluster sales but I would not make that quick of a conclusion.

• Reply 50 of 213
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Near 0 for Apple as they sold out that first weekend.
    When Sammy smothers the airwaves with ads, it's tough for other Android vendors to get the word out.
    Quite amusing how the choice crowd is perfectly content with two companies - Google and Samsung - ruling the world. I'm guessing if they weren't direct competition/threats to Apple the choice crowd might care more.
  • Reply 51 of 213

I still like apple than other firms

• Reply 52 of 213
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member

Despite the naysayers, I expect the iPhone 5S to sell much more than 5M in the first week end. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple did aim to make 8-10 million 5S available in the first week-end, and launching in a lot of countries at the same time.

Look at what happened with the 4 -> 4S.

The iPhone 4 was a completely new case design and needed custom manufacturing techniques, and because of low yield rates they could only make enough to sell 1.7M units in the first week-end. The 4 availability was severely constrained during the first weeks (months?) as it was slowly released around the world.

The 4S though, came along when Apple had mastered the art of making a glass sandwich phone with a metal band around it, and was unveiled simultaneously in many more countries, so Apple managed to sell 4M in the first week-end, more than double the first w-e sales of the 4.

The iPhone 5, just like the 4, was a manufacturing nightmare for Apple because of the new casing and it took a while until they could ramp up the production. They still sold more than the 4S did in the 1st w-e, but could have sold much more if they had more to sell.

The combination of iOS 7, maybe some new hardware feature (fingerprint reader?) and a big worldwide launch could enable Apple to easily sell 10 million iPhone 5S in the first week-end. If they can make enough of them until this fall...

I think Samsung's comment is actually much more spiteful than it seems on the surface. In my view they're essentially saying: "Look Apple, we can take our time and still beat you to the market with our plastic GS4, while you struggle to find other partners to ramp up the production of the 5S and get those 10M units ready for launch day this fall".

• Reply 53 of 213
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    Apple will be expected to sell at least 10 million iPhones within a couple of days. Anything less will be considered a massive failure. Apple is barely hanging on by a thread in the mobile industry. Anything less than 70 million iPhones in the first full quarter of the next iPhone will cause Apple investors to dump the stock due to fears that Apple has lost all credibility in the smartphone industry.

Apple's biggest problem is that it won't ever be able to beat expectations. Expectations are being raised to nearly impossible levels and I doubt Apple can get the manufacturing resources to that level. To reach Wall Street's sales expectations, Apple would probably have to start producing iPhones six months in advance before offering it to consumers. Even if the demand did reach expectation levels, Apple wouldn't be able to meet them due to insufficient inventory and distribution.

I can say right now, with certainty, that Apple's next iPhone will be considered a disappointment to the smartphone industry and Wall Street alike. Only consumers will like the product, but there just won't be enough of them to make a difference to stem the Samsung and Android tide. Apple's global smartphone market share is doomed to slip to low double digits and possible single digits rather quickly. Wall Street hates companies that lose market share to that degree. Apple's share value will fall just as quickly.
  • Reply 54 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I've never used a Samsung phone. What is the hardware button for? With such a small bezel that button really seems out of place.

Also I love that the iPhone doesn't have any logo or branding on the front of the phone (especially no AT&T or Verizon logo!). I'd hate having to see the word Samsung every time I stared at my screen.

The hardware button is the home button. Not shown is the capacitive Back and Menu buttons to the left and right of the home button that glow when touched. It is a small area to work with and I wish all Android handset makers that use Android 4.0 and up would switch to the on screen buttons that was introduced with Android 4.0 instead of using hardware buttons that could fail over time.

As far as seeing the Samsung logo on the screen every time you look at it, if you were ever interested in Android, get a Nexus. Pure Android and the only logos are on the back of the phone.

• Reply 55 of 213

A bit of web searching will reveal that Business Insider aka Silicon Alley Insider is yellow journalism. Some bloggers accuse them of "pro-Apple bias" and others accuse them of "pro-Samsung bias." It's probably neither: they're sensationalists. They'll take whatever position generates the most clicks.

At least AppleInsider has an unmistakable pro-Apple, Samsung-obsessed bias. image

• Reply 56 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Ah, but Apple didn't pay anybody to say nice things after the iPhone 5 launch, did they?

Apple doesn't have to.

Business Insider reviewed the iPhone 5 and said: "After using the iPhone 5 for five days, I feel like it is pretty much a perfect smartphone."

Like I said, BI gets accused of having a pro-Apple bias too, because, you know, the iPhone 5 couldn't possibly be as perfect as they say.

• Reply 57 of 213
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hmm...just curious which Apple stores or re-sellers had the iPhone 5 in stock on Saturday or Sunday of the weekend it came out. All I remember is it being sold out everywhere. I guess I'd be curious to know how much of the 5M in 3 days was channel inventory. My guess is none.

Today I can go to AT&T, Sprint and Best Buy and they all have the S4 in stock and available for delivery (or in store pickup).

Since Apple does not disclose that information, it is an unknown. My point is that this notion that Apple reports "sold" as in customers hands is misleading. It is something in between shipped and sold - but Apple do not inflate their numbers unlike Samsung which has been proven to inflate those numbers time and again.

• Reply 58 of 213
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loptimist View Post

their fabs are different, which actually makes some difference in quality...

but you are right that practically speaking, real world experience would be about the same.  

Also, Exynos equipped Galaxy S4 has big.LITTLE core and it seems like will be fully supported by Google staring late June.  I am more curious about that version than the US version which you rightly point out as not really special in terms of hardware.

but come on guys, it's kinda weird to see iPhone users to talk/belittle about specs...

Who in America (or a lot of other places) wants a crippled non-LTE phone?

With not much memory:-

Hype, hype, hype and a gullible audience.

• Reply 59 of 213
    joelchujoelchu Posts: 80member
    I wonder how did the gadget business turn into Hollywood blockbuster kind of thing. T4 anyone? They made 450 million dollars during their entire run (2 weeks I believe) and the company went busted (Haycon from London).

And funny how one month old product "guesstimate sold 10 million" hail as success. Where a 3 years old iPhone 4 was completely sold out in China during new year (feb 2013) and still lots of troll brand it with useless screen?!
  • Reply 60 of 213
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Why not, it may remind you of your washing machine!

/s

But my screen says Samsung and my washing machine says Bosch