Password management app 1Password gets robust browser enhancements, sharing, more

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Popular login asset manager 1Password received a healthy update on Monday, bringing a number of new features to its built in "1Browser" Web browser, new sharing options and an advanced search tool.

1Password

1Password's developers AgileBits said many of the new features and fixes released in version 4.2 of the app are meant to fill requests and suggestions from users.

Much of the the substantial update is focused on 1Browser, the built in Web browser first introduced to 1Password in the app's last major update. Users can now add "Go and Fill" bookmarks on iPad, a feature seen on 1Password's desktop app. Also new to the iPad iteration is access to the Strong Password Generator, the app's random key generator.

All versions of the app get auto-submit functionality when filling in logins, a feature borrowed from the desktop app. URL copying is supported via the Copy to Clipboard option in the Share menu, and closing the last tab in 1Browser now automatically takes users back to "vault mode."

As for sharing, users can now send passwords and logins through Messages or email, and include an "Add to 1Password" link that automatically saves the asset to the app.

Finally, search capabilities were enhanced with results now applcable to all fields as well as primary URLs. Miscellaneous improvements include better translations and the addition of Greek language support, refreshed Dropbox syncing and bug fixes.

1Password comes in at 22.8MB and can be downloaded through the App Store for $17.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    I use and love 1Password on the desktop, but it's been unusable for me on iOS - having to manually copy and paste the passwords into apps is frustrating, and my relatives can't even figure it out (they did use it somewhat on the desktop).

I either hope Apple opens up their mobile keychain or provides functionality similar to what 1Password is offering for apps like what you can get with password sync for Safari.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    DataVault for me... Grant it, it doesn't have a plugin for Safari that collects your login info at the time you join some website that requires login. But, no problems syncing from Desktop to iOS app. It gives a variety of ways, but since my set-up is on WiFi, I choose that option. I just open DataVault on my iMac and if I added new info, I'd hit the Sync button and keep that window or line of communication open, then go to my iPad, open up DataVault's iOS app, hit sync, a window showing my WiFi opens, I select, and it syncs. Done! When over, whatever was on my iMac's DataVault is on my iPad and vice-versa. Eazzee Peezee!
    /
    /
  • Reply 3 of 19

I love "Last Pass", a 1Password competitor,  for my browser, iOS, Windows and Mac.

• Reply 4 of 19
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I wish they add built in VPN to their browser even if it is a subscription service.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    I have been using this program since the first version on the desktop. I just installed the update on my iPhone 3gs and it works great. I especially like the browser that lets me log directly in without having to cut and paste into Safari.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    heanonheanon Posts: 2member

The iOS app is very good. However, customer support takes many days. I had an issue they could and did solve easily, after I spent many hours, solving it by brute force.

Their Mac desktop app is still stuck before 4.0, be nice to get these on a par and in sync.

• Reply 7 of 19
    heanonheanon Posts: 2member

Just tried out the new version. Still can't type a space in the multipurpose url search field.

• Reply 8 of 19
    kasakkakasakka Posts: 55member
    The lack of extension support on mobile browsers is really annoying. That's why I haven't bothered with 1Password on mobile though I love it on the desktop.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

DataVault for me... Grant it, it doesn't have a plugin for Safari that collects your login info at the time you join some website that requires login. But, no problems syncing from Desktop to iOS app. It gives a variety of ways, but since my set-up is on WiFi, I choose that option. I just open DataVault on my iMac and if I added new info, I'd hit the Sync button and keep that window or line of communication open, then go to my iPad, open up DataVault's iOS app, hit sync, a window showing my WiFi opens, I select, and it syncs. Done! When over, whatever was on my iMac's DataVault is on my iPad and vice-versa. Eazzee Peezee!

/

/

How is this simple or convenient?  1Password automatically syncs desktop and mobile clients using Dropbox without ever having to hit a sync button.

• Reply 10 of 19
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I wish they add built in VPN to their browser even if it is a subscription service.

Why do you need VPN at the browser level when you can turn it on at the device level today? Of course, a separate question is why doesn't Apple provide a setting to allow the VPN connection to stay alive even when the device is asleep or locked.

• Reply 11 of 19
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

How is this simple or convenient?  1Password automatically syncs desktop and mobile clients using Dropbox without ever having to hit a sync button.

Well according to R00fus, "I use and love 1Password on the desktop, but it's been unusable for me on iOS"... when it works on iOS also, it's easy!  When there's no manually copying and pasting the passwords, it's easy!  When relatives CAN even figure it out, it's easy!  When you DON'T have to hope Apple does something, it's easy... see where I'm going with this?

/

/

• Reply 12 of 19
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    There is a reason for the lack of extensions to the browsers - Apple doesn't allow this in the iOS world - apps are sandboxed.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    xstaticaxstatica Posts: 41member

The biggest problem I have is that the company removed the previous apps (1Password Pro, etc) from the appstore when they released this new app as a separate app.  I can not download 1Password Pro from the app store anymore even thought I paid for it and it was perfectly functional for me and others I am sure too.  I had lost my itunes backups of apps when my hard drive crashed.  I still have the password database on a backup flash drive.  I now have no way to get the app I paid for.  They should at least put the old apps back and call them 1Password OLD or something.  That way us existing customers can still get the older app if we need to and new customers would know to get the new version instead of the old one.

This behavior certainly makes me cautious of buying apps from them in the future.  Will they do this every few years forcing customers to buy the new version to use their databases?

• Reply 14 of 19
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Why do you need VPN at the browser level when you can turn it on at the device level today? Of course, a separate question is why doesn't Apple provide a setting to allow the VPN connection to stay alive even when the device is asleep or locked.

I know about the system level VPN in iOS and I am aware of VPN service providers. But I really don't want full VPN service. I want to have secure connection for websites that transmit my information in plain text. Furthermore, many sites will only encrypt your username and password while leaving everything else. This is an issue when using public wifi hotspots, which I've been trying to avoid because of this. If 1Browser offer such on demand service I am all for it.

Regarding your question, my guess being VPN when the device goes to sleep is that the only traffic going in and out are related to iOS services and these services are already secured. Other reasons would be battery life and data consumption. Just my guess.

• Reply 15 of 19
    jb1345jb1345 Posts: 1member
    I dont understand why anyone would use 1password when you have to pay for upgrades and it has less functionality than other password managers. I use roboform everywhere and it is way better than 1password on price and functionality across Win and Mac devices.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    kymchakymcha Posts: 13member
    1Password ... not impressed at all (at least on os x)
    Sent this email Feb 14 2012 to their support:

Adding a new account (choices)
    There is MobileMe in the list but no iCloud and a lot of the settings particularly for email are different. Choosing 'Email Account' doesn't work either (e.g. authentication is 'Apple Token' for iCloud but this is not an option in the list). In summary there needs to be an iCloud choice under the 'Accounts' node with up to date fields therein.

And got a reply on Feb 15 2012
    This is something we're aware of and you will hopefully see some more advanced options for this type of thing in a future update to 1Password. I do apologize for the trouble but a Generic Account may be useful to check out as well.
    If there is any way we can further assist you please let us know!

Absolutely useless.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    xstatica wrote: »
    The biggest problem I have is that the company removed the previous apps (1Password Pro, etc) from the appstore when they released this new app as a separate app.  I can not download 1Password Pro from the app store anymore even thought I paid for it and it was perfectly functional for me and others I am sure too.  I had lost my itunes backups of apps when my hard drive crashed.  I still have the password database on a backup flash drive.  I now have no way to get the app I paid for.  They should at least put the old apps back and call them 1Password OLD or something.  That way us existing customers can still get the older app if we need to and new customers would know to get the new version instead of the old one.

This behavior certainly makes me cautious of buying apps from them in the future.  Will they do this every few years forcing customers to buy the new version to use their databases?

Just go to the purchased section of the App Store. It will show up there. Guaranteed. Even apps that were yanked by Apple will still show up there.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    I think it is pretty awesome you can drag logins into your bookmarks bar. It will fill in your username and password, and if you have it set to automatically submit, log you in as well!

All with one single freaking click!

Also, 1Password is 50% off right now for WWDC!
    Get it for Mac: http://h.ijoe.co/159NZtP
    Get it for iOS: http://h.ijoe.co/112S8uJ
  • Reply 19 of 19
    I used 1Password briefly after purchasing a new Macbook but quickly switched back to RoboForm as soon as they released a compatible version for Mac operating systems. 1Password seriously lacks cross platform compatibility where my RoboForm Everywhere license allows me to use the software with any computer, removable storage device, smart phone, or tablet. RoboForm still offers the widest range of compatibility on the market when it comes to password managers.