10M Samsung flagship phones in 28 days a 'record,' 5M iPhone 5 in 3 days 'disappointing'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 213
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I've never used a Samsung phone. What is the hardware button for? With such a small bezel that button really seems out of place.

Also I love that the iPhone doesn't have any logo or branding on the front of the phone (especially no AT&T or Verizon logo!). I'd hate having to see the word Samsung every time I stared at my screen.

It's used the same way as a iPhone, it's not needed anymore as Jellybean did away with it. Samsung however still provides one because the custom skin they use still uses elements from Android HoneyComb, lame. It's nice to see you can get a S4 with vanilla Android however.

• Reply 62 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Who in America (or a lot of other places) wants a crippled non-LTE phone?

With not much memory:-

Hype, hype, hype and a gullible audience.

They now sell a Nexus version of the Galaxy S4 which will open up the rest of the memory as a Vanilla build of Android takes up less than 1GB and it's LTE. http://www.t3.com/news/google-announces-nexus-based-samsung-galaxy-s4

• Reply 63 of 213
    I thinkg tkell31 has a point. The journalist is biased, no doubt, but he is reporting two different things.

In the first case with the iPhone 5, expectations were very high, and were not met. In the second case with Samsung, they are showing a growth phase.

If Samsumg proves better at managing inventory and exploiting channels this gives them an edge over Apple even if the Apple product is technically superior and preferred by customers.

Apples products are 'smart' in many ways including their customer base, that doesn't necessarily make the most successful product in a world that isn't solely made of 'smart' consumers or rich ones.

Personally I think the iPhone 5 was a mistake in a number of ways that might indicate the future of Apple. The aspect ratio/form factor does not have the comfort in the hand (and my hands are very large) of the iPhone 4S. My thumb cannot easily rotate to access the top and bottom of the screen. This bit of UX is revealing as I don't theorise that with the iPhone 5 Apple prioritized design over marketing, they felt they had to make the phone 'bigger' to meet market demands, but any of their top UX people would have pointed out the reduction in pleasure for the user. I would have loved an iPhone 4S with the thinness of the iPhone 5, but instead I got the first iPhone I didn't love.

The thinness of the iPhone 5 is brilliant, however the cost of achieving that thinness was the cost of moving to a manufacturing process that failed to deliver enough units at launch.

Anyway, the subtext to all of this is that Apple created a market, and its inevitable that they would lose market share, its no biggie. I hope Apple return to making products I love and don't fall into the iPhone5 trap again. The iPad mini shows that they can continue to create great and lovable products

• Reply 64 of 213

Quote:

Well the Galaxy S4 (LTE model) has exactly the same Qualcomm CPU and GPU as the HTC One, however they over clock it to 1.9GHz rather than 1.7GHz, both have 2GB of the same RAM.

What Samsung has is a multi-billion dollar marketing budget, hype in overdrive and a ruthless desire for absolute domination.

it's not overclocked, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 comes in either 1.7 or 1.9 GHZ configurations, shipped that way to the buyer.

• Reply 65 of 213
    Love how Elmer-DeWitt exposes the flawgic and media bias
  • Reply 66 of 213
    Quote:

Samsung is hurting HTC, Sony and other Android manufacturers the most making 94.7% of Android handset PROFITS last quarter, LG took 2.5% all the others share the rest between them.

It seems the American press favours foreign companies over their own, do they want a world which is 100% Samsung?

Will the world be happy when Google's "freedom of choice" boils down to which Samsung handset to buy?

I think what is missing in this discussion is; what does this mean for Google? Samsung is already working on another cell phone OS. What happens when Android is synonymous with Samsung? It's a huge danger because there isn't much forcing Samsun to stay with Android when they can flip a switch and migrate a lot of this to their own LINUX version. Kind of like how INTEL became dependent on Microsoft -- only more so.
  • Reply 67 of 213
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

it's not overclocked, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 comes in either 1.7 or 1.9 GHZ configurations, shipped that way to the buyer.

So how do they achieve the difference?

Clockspeed is it not?

• Reply 68 of 213
    Can we stop the play ground articles. Samsung and Apple produce brilliant phones. And thankfully that means choice. We need the like of HTC and Blackberry to provide customer choice.

Producing articles with my dad's bigger than yours perpetuates this Apple versus the world bollox
  • Reply 69 of 213
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete borota View Post

Can we stop the play ground articles. Samsung and Apple produce brilliant phones. And thankfully that means choice. We need the like of HTC and Blackberry to provide customer choice.

Producing articles with my dad's bigger than yours perpetuates this Apple versus the world bollox

Tell that to Wall Street, where "the world (i.e. the tech press media) vs Apple" is responsible for write downs of hundreds of billions of dollars of Apple's stock value.

• Reply 70 of 213
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydr View Post

That is actually how Apple reports its numbers. Although the channel inventory for Apple for companies like Wal-Mart, BestBuy etc is considerably lower. Last quarter I believe the ratio was 70/30 of the reported numbers. So Apple does indeed report shipped and not sold products, but they are clearing out inventory a whole lot faster than the likes of Samsung & Co.

You have the link to tha's how Apple said it is shipped and not sold ?

• Reply 71 of 213
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Fortune is Samsung's little bitch.
  • Reply 72 of 213
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    hydr wrote: »
    That is actually how Apple reports its numbers. Although the channel inventory for Apple for companies like Wal-Mart, BestBuy etc is considerably lower. Last quarter I believe the ratio was 70/30 of the reported numbers. So Apple does indeed report shipped and not sold products, but they are clearing out inventory a whole lot faster than the likes of Samsung & Co.
    You are mistaken. Apple announces and clearly tells you what is sold to end customers. units that are in transit are counted in that number but not what is sitting on the shelf somewhere. They report channel inventory seperately to indicate how close they are to matching demand. This is also why just about every article stipulates Apple sales but then say shipped for Samsung. The articles are written as if they were the same, but the fact they consistently use these terms and not interchangeably says they know they are incompatible.
  • Reply 73 of 213
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hill60 wrote: »
    So how do they achieve the difference?

Clockspeed is it not?

One could be underclocked.
  • Reply 74 of 213
    zoffdinozoffdino Posts: 192member

The Business Insider reporter is obviously biased toward Samsung and you can argue all the way about how things should be represented in the media. But the bigger problem is the negative image that has built up against Apple. In marketing, perception is everything, reality second. Their perception, your reality is the motto in marketing classes. Coca-Cola consistently outsell Pepsi because Coca-Cola is seen as the "better" brand. A BMW costs more than a Lexus despite being less reliable because it's seen as more "prestigious".

Once upon a time, the world stopped to listen to what Apple had to say. Now that management has stopped talking, the media turns attention elsewhere, to production problems, to shoddy consumer surveys, and yes, to Samsung mouthpieces. 12 months ago, Apple could do no wrong, now they can do no right. The negative perception first appeared in the stock price, now it's spreading Joe Average too. I have friends who were perfectly happy with the 4" screen on the iPhone 5. But now they are complaining about it being too small, after 8 months of being constantly coached the media that it is so.

The fault isn't Business Insider alone, Apple must also take blame for not working enough to counter the negative narrative against it.

• Reply 75 of 213
    btracy713btracy713 Posts: 42member
    I don't care, I live and die by the Apple, Apple gonna finish strong
  • Reply 76 of 213
    btracy713btracy713 Posts: 42member
    Samsung should stick to appliances I hate their phones
  • Reply 77 of 213
    So when are the phone companies going to be offering all these stocked Samsungs for Buy One Get Two Free to move them off the shelves?
  • Reply 78 of 213
    patrickfpatrickf Posts: 21member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This implies that iOS 6 isn't good and/or that the Galaxy S4 has somehow done something that makes iOS 6 look bad. What in the S4 is something that is going to attract iPhone users away from the iPhone?

• Reply 79 of 213
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loptimist View Post

I think the market is fairly concentrated these days even more than when iPhone 5 came out.

Be it iPhone 5/4s, Galaxy S3/Note 2, ONE, Nexus 4, Xperia Z, Optimus G Pro, all of them seem to perform well for most of common tasks...

Frankly, probably each has more cpu/gpu power than those smartphone sized/compatible apps may demand.

I think it is quite impressive that Galaxy S4 can still fight well against other competitors even when many consumers find no need to switch,

and am wondering how many people would stick to iPhone for its next cycle soon.

iOS 7 better be good this time.

And I'm thinking about the opposite.

After trying those shitty phones with oversaturated screens, bad build quality, lag (as the S4 is known for), worse battery life while on use, worse ecosystem, how many will say "enough" and buy an iPhone?

looks like that for each person that goes from iOS to Android, 7 come from android to iOS. Not bad.

Now imagine if Apple had another line of iPhones with bigger screens.

• Reply 80 of 213
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loptimist View Post

Quote:

Well the Galaxy S4 (LTE model) has exactly the same Qualcomm CPU and GPU as the HTC One, however they over clock it to 1.9GHz rather than 1.7GHz, both have 2GB of the same RAM.

What Samsung has is a multi-billion dollar marketing budget, hype in overdrive.

their fabs are different, which actually makes some difference in quality...

but you are right that practically speaking, real world experience would be about the same.  

Also, Exynos equipped Galaxy S4 has big.LITTLE core and it seems like will be fully supported by Google staring late June.  I am more curious about that version than the US version which you rightly point out as not really special in terms of hardware.

but come on guys, it's kinda weird to see iPhone users to talk/belittle about specs...

Au contrarie, it's all about specs, but specs that mean something.

For example, only a retarded whale cares about processor and ram. Rational humans care about speed on real life usage: iPhone.

Retarded whales care about resolution, color gamut. Rational humans care about accuracy, if the screen is pentile or not, real ppi and brightness levels so the screen can be used outdoors and how apps take advantage of it: The iPhone wins, with the HTC one close.

See? It's all about specs, but not about specs targeted at stupid and ignorant people, that usually buy the S4 because of 12B$ spent advertising it.