10M Samsung flagship phones in 28 days a 'record,' 5M iPhone 5 in 3 days 'disappointing'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 213
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Au contrarie, it's all about specs, but specs that mean something.

For example, only a retarded whale cares about processor and ram. Rational humans care about speed on real life usage: iPhone.

Retarded whales care about resolution, color gamut. Rational humans care about accuracy, if the screen is pentile or not, real ppi and brightness levels so the screen can be used outdoors and how apps take advantage of it: The iPhone wins, with the HTC one close.

See? It's all about specs, but not about specs targeted at stupid and ignorant people, that usually buy the S4 because of 12B$ spent advertising it. 

Retarded whale, really? How is someone supposed to respect your opinion when you use terms like that?
  • Reply 82 of 213
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Retarded whale, really? How is someone supposed to respect your opinion when you use terms like that?

We don't respect his opinion, and we never did.  Generalizing millions of any phone user into one category is simply ridiculous.  I suggest we refer to pedromartins as "pedriculous" or "pedramaqueen:".

• Reply 83 of 213
    sambirasambira Posts: 90member

Quote:

It's all about expectations. Derek Jeter comes up to bat and he's expected to hit a single or a double but if ARod is up to bat a homerun is expected.

Yup, true.  But these expectations are "fan" expectations where emotion is in play.   This is different from an analyst view which is to remove that emotion and look at the situation analytically (that's why they are called analysts)...

• Reply 84 of 213
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Everyone on this thread understands that Samsung is successful, but you're ignoring the basis of the article that notes the same author referring to slower pace as successful and a faster rate as unsuccessful.

Quote:

It's all about expectations. Derek Jeter comes up to bat and he's expected to hit a single or a double but if ARod is up to bat a homerun is expected.

Not the worst analogy.  Suppose ARod had a history of hitting home runs regularly.  Suppose Jeter was known for reliably hitting singles.  Based on expectations the Yankees decide to pay ARod 30mil a year and Jeter 15mil.

Now the season gets underway and reality plays out a little different than expectations- ARod is reliably hitting triples, with the occasional home run.  Jeter surprises everyone by hitting doubles reliably with the occasional triple thrown in.  Despite still outhitting Jeter, ARod gets some bad press.  Jeter gets some glowing press reviews.

Next season comes around and they negotiate contracts.  ARod is offered 25mil and Jeter is offered 18mil.....

An ARod fan might cry fowl.  ARod is playing *better* than Jeter but they are disappointed in him and giving him a pay cut, and yet reporters are gushing over Jeters performance and the Yankees are giving him a raise!!  How dumb is that?!

At its peak Apples $650 bil plus market cap was based on it completely crushing everything (hitting repeated home runs). At that time I believe Samsung Electronics was somewhere above the $100-125 bil valuation.  So Apple was valued around 6 times more than Samsung.

Apple did 'worse than expected.'  Samsung did 'better than expected.'  Apple still has the better sales and profits- but no longer so much so that they are worth 6 times as much.   Based on this seasons contract negotiations Apple got a 'pay cut' and is valued at @ $400billion.   Samsung electronics got a 'raise' and is currently valued @ $170 billion.

Apple is still valued at somewhere between 2x to 3x Samsung electronics.

The iPhone 5s will mark the next inning.  It *has* to be the best selling phone and certainly exceed the S4's sales.  If it does not, there will no longer be a justification for Apple to be valued at 2-3x Samsung.  If it surprises everyone and people flock en masse to it ditching their Android phones and knocking down store walls to get at it- then maybe Apple will go back to being worth 6x Samsung.

• Reply 85 of 213
    runbuh wrote: »
    We don't respect his opinion, and we never did.  Generalizing millions of any phone user into one category is simply ridiculous.  I suggest we refer to pedromartins as "pedriculous" or "pedramaqueen:".

There's a big difference being not liking a choice someone made and not liking the person for the choice they made. Perdromartins seems like he cannot deferentiate that.
  • Reply 86 of 213
    frood wrote: »

Not the worst analogy.  Suppose ARod had a history of hitting home runs regularly.  Suppose Jeter was known for reliably hitting singles.  Based on expectations the Yankees decide to pay ARod 30mil a year and Jeter 15mil.

Now the season gets underway and reality plays out a little different than expectations- ARod is reliably hitting triples, with the occasional home run.  Jeter surprises everyone by hitting doubles reliably with the occasional triple thrown in.  Despite still outhitting Jeter, ARod gets some bad press.  Jeter gets some glowing press reviews.

Next season comes around and they negotiate contracts.  ARod is offered 25mil and Jeter is offered 18mil.....

An ARod fan might cry fowl.  ARod is playing *better* than Jeter but they are disappointed in him and giving him a pay cut, and yet reporters are gushing over Jeters performance and the Yankees are giving him a raise!!  How dumb is that?!

At its peak Apples $650 bil plus market cap was based on it completely crushing everything (hitting repeated home runs). At that time I believe Samsung Electronics was somewhere above the $100-125 bil valuation.  So Apple was valued around 6 times more than Samsung.

Apple did 'worse than expected.'  Samsung did 'better than expected.'  Apple still has the better sales and profits- but no longer so much so that they are worth 6 times as much.   Based on this seasons contract negotiations Apple got a 'pay cut' and is valued at @ $400billion.   Samsung electronics got a 'raise' and is currently valued @ $170 billion.

Apple is still valued at somewhere between 2x to 3x Samsung electronics.

The iPhone 5s will mark the next inning.  It *has* to be the best selling phone and certainly exceed the S4's sales.  If it does not, there will no longer be a justification for Apple to be valued at 2-3x Samsung.  If it surprises everyone and people flock en masse to it ditching their Android phones and knocking down store walls to get at it- then maybe Apple will go back to being worth 6x Samsung.

1. The media always gushes over Jeter no matter what he does.

2. There are no ARod fans :lol:
  • Reply 87 of 213
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    I think too many of you have the wrong take away here. The S4 sales really are amazing.

I have used one, and the fact that they can sell a single one of these S4 POSes in a market where the iPhone is an option is truly incredible.
  • Reply 88 of 213
    sambira wrote: »
    Yup, true.  But these expectations are "fan" expectations where emotion is in play.   This is different from an analysis t view which is to remove that emotion and look at the situation analytically (that's why they are called analysts)...

That's not entirely true. Frood makes a good point. Players aren't given contracts on fans expectations but what ownership expects from them. For the average NBA player 20 points is great and he'll receive adulation from the media but if Carmelo Anthony gets less than 30 it's a disappointment and the media will criticize him.
  • Reply 89 of 213
    shen wrote: »
    I think too many of you have the wrong take away here. The S4 sales really are amazing.

I have used one, and the fact that they can sell a single one of these S4 POSes in a market where the iPhone is an option is truly incredible.

What's even more incredible is the people that have a iPhone and switch. Just this morning 2 of my iPhone owning friends were raving about the SGS 4 much to my surprise.
  • Reply 90 of 213
    skleinivskleiniv Posts: 37member
    [quote name="gwmac" url="/t/157590/10m-samsung-flagship-phones-in-28-days-a-record-5m-iphone-5-in-3-days-disappointing/30#post_2329091"]I finally got the chance to use one in person. My niece just got one. Her last phone was an iPhone 4S and she was due for an upgrade and didn't want an iPhone 5 because of the small screen size. I was pretty impressed. Very light and really beautiful screen to my eyes at least. I didn't use it for long, only about 3 minutes but it felt snappy and responsive. My niece said she far preferred it over the 4S just for the screen. Many here might dismiss it as cheap or plastic crap but the reviews seem very good overall from actual users. 

Since it is becoming less and less likely thatApple will release a larger screen this year I might not bother waiting and just upgrade to the Galaxy S4 myself while I can still get a decent price for my iPhone 5 and hope Apple releases a larger version next year. 
    [/quote
    Sadly I have to agree with you on this. I am long appl, only own apple products. But once I saw and picked up the Samsung larger screen I realized what mistake apple made. Just one more mistake among several. Really dissapoints me. Can't tell you how often my girlfriend hands me her iPhone & asks me to read something on her screen that she can't read because its too small. Apple really missed the boat on this one. Still long apple though realizing I made a mistake by holding this long.
  • Reply 91 of 213
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    What's even more incredible is the people that have a iPhone and switch. Just this morning 2 of my iPhone owning friends were raving about the SGS 4 much to my surprise.

Some of it generational, being rebellious. Just looking at my friend' kids. Their parents have been using iPhones. Have you ever seen kids that like the same music as their parents?;)
  • Reply 92 of 213
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    skleiniv wrote: »
    Can't tell you how often my girlfriend hands me her iPhone & asks me to read something on her screen that she can't read because its too small.

Four words that might be of help to your girlfriend:

Settings --> General --> Accessibility --> Vision
  • Reply 93 of 213
    epro79epro79 Posts: 2member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

So, Samsung's number is "expected" and "shipped," averaging 360 thousand per day across 60 countries.

Apple's number was "actual" and "sold" (not to mention "sold out") averaging 1.7 million per day across just 9 countries.

Combine that with profit share, developer backing and customer satisfaction, and Apple really IS doomed image

I vote your cmt, but i think samsung is very good tech!

• Reply 94 of 213
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by skleiniv View Post

Can't tell you how often my girlfriend hands me her iPhone & asks me to read something on her screen that she can't read because its too small.

Four words that might be of help to your girlfriend:

Settings --> General --> Accessibility --> Vision

Again, he is right.

Despite all the shortcomings of the galaxy, the big screen (despite weak) makes a huge difference.

If Apple releases one, oh boy... It would quickly become the best selling device.

• Reply 95 of 213
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    It never ceases to amaze -- and impress -- me that you take the time to talk logic to trolls and fools....

He's like the Jesus of AI, trying to save lost souls... I mean trolls.

Yep, just a regular Mother Teresa of this forum......
  • Reply 96 of 213
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Personally I think the iPhone 5 was a mistake in a number of ways that might indicate the future of Apple. The aspect ratio/form factor does not have the comfort in the hand (and my hands are very large) of the iPhone 4S. My thumb cannot easily rotate to access the top and bottom of the screen. This bit of UX is revealing as I don't theorise that with the iPhone 5 Apple prioritized design over marketing, they felt they had to make the phone 'bigger' to meet market demands, but any of their top UX people would have pointed out the reduction in pleasure for the user. I would have loved an iPhone 4S with the thinness of the iPhone 5, but instead I got the first iPhone I didn't love.

The thinness of the iPhone 5 is brilliant, however the cost of achieving that thinness was the cost of moving to a manufacturing process that failed to deliver enough units at launch.

First the iPhone 5 is "too small", now it's also "too big. " apple can't "win" no matter what.

zoffdino wrote: »
    The fault isn't Business Insider alone, Apple must also take blame for not working enough to counter the negative narrative against it.

BS. If all Apple did was counter negative stories, nothing would get done. Besides the earning calls and occasional press releases should shut the media up.
  • Reply 97 of 213
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    One-third of the Galaxy S4 models don't come with LTE. This includes the International version with the big.LITTLE architecture. Can you image the backlash if Apple had LTE in a device one year and then removed it the next year? I suppose when you have a dozen models that different is so many ways (not just color and storage capacity) it's easy to hide such things from the public.

So far, everyone iPhone user I know that has switched to an Android-based phone has 1) not been a Mac or longtime Apple customer, 2) very heavy into Windows or Linux admin, or 3) has so far only used just one non-iPhone, either switching back to iPhone or still on that one Android device.
  • Reply 98 of 213

it is great

• Reply 99 of 213
    cerbcerb Posts: 1member
    There is one big difference - there is only the iPhone for iOS while there is so much more choice on Android. 10 Million wouldn't be much if there would be just the S4, but with so many other great devices out there competing for the same OS it is a huge number.
    For the iPhone on the other side, there is no other device. People wait long for it and when then "just" 5 Million get sold it's not that much.
  • Reply 100 of 213
    loptimistloptimist Posts: 113member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Who in America (or a lot of other places) wants a crippled non-LTE phone?

With not much memory:-

Hype, hype, hype and a gullible audience.

Have you ever heard of a thing called Micro SD?