10M Samsung flagship phones in 28 days a 'record,' 5M iPhone 5 in 3 days 'disappointing'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 213
    rufworkrufwork Posts: 130member

Normally Dilger's bias bothers me in his AI articles.  They often feel more like homerism than journalism (though I'm finding him to be a great podcast guest), and it's hard to dig out the useful new information.

This time, I was relieved to see the byline.  It's become the new media-herd position to say Samsung's up and Apple's down.  There's probably some truth to the herd's inspiration -- Apple's level of growth was too meteoric to sustain forever, and Samsung is clearly eating the Android profit pie -- but these biased as crud, lazy headlines are really starting to bug me.  It's too easy to ramp up the latest herd-speak in the name of click-mongering.

Thanks, Eran.  Or Daniel.  Or Dilger.

• Reply 102 of 213
    normmnormm Posts: 653member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Newsflash: the rest of the world is bigger than the US.

The rest of the world's tech market it only about twice as big as the US.  And trends in innovative products first introduced in the US usually show up in the rest of the world a few years later.

• Reply 103 of 213
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

1. The media always gushes over Jeter no matter what he does.

2. There are no ARod fans image

Victory dasanman69

• Reply 104 of 213
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    hill60 wrote: »
    So how do they achieve the difference?

Clockspeed is it not?

Yes of course but overclocked is a term used when clocking a CPU over it's manufactured specifications.
  • Reply 105 of 213
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member

It would seem to me that Apple has more of a perception problem. Partly because of the share price, people equate that with how well Apple is doing and haven't looked to see that the past 2 quarters were the best revenue producing quarters in its history for that particular quarter.

The perception problem is worse at Apple because their best spokesman is no longer alive. I think Cook is doing an excellent job at Apple on most fronts. On the perception front, he needs a bulldog in house(or and advertising campaign) that will take back the perceived ground that has been lost to Samsung.

• Reply 106 of 213
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    It really does make a person wonder%u2026

It sometimes feels like "journalism" in this field has been reduced to a bunch of mercenary, pandering hacks who will say "whatever" if it involves paid PR dollars.

I certainly don't pay attention to rags like "Business Insider" or "Korea Times" (does anyone expect impartial reporting from them? Why would they EVER be quoted as an authoritative source outside Korea?)

WSJ isn't a whole lot better, their "editorial content" being pretty clearly in the pay of various 'market influencers'%u2026

Fortune isn't too bad, as they seem to have a more measured 'neutrality', but even they aren't perfect.

Sad that this is what influences market perception%u2026 money talks!
  • Reply 107 of 213
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Samsung: "In the first MONTH we SHIPPED 6 million units already, and we're cranking them out at a pace that we ESTIMATE will allow us to SHIP 10 million altogether…"

Apple: "We SOLD 5 million in the first WEEKEND, and we're cranking them out as fast as we can to meet demand…"

It summarizes pretty nicely. It's not hard to get.

The bigger question is, why are the press in general hammering on Apple so perniciously these days?

• Reply 108 of 213
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Samsung: "In the first MONTH we SHIPPED 6 million units already, and we're cranking them out at a pace that we ESTIMATE will allow us to SHIP 10 million altogether…"

Apple: "We SOLD 5 million in the first WEEKEND, and we're cranking them out as fast as we can to meet demand…"

It summarizes pretty nicely. It's not hard to get.

The bigger question is, why are the press in general hammering on Apple so perniciously these days?

They always did. For the media, Apple was always one step from crumbling, and they could end tomorrow. Always.

Read older articles form sites like Cnet, etc. It's always the same topic, same things. Apple is the only one obligated to innovate despite the fact that no other company innovates at consumer level.

The difference is just that right now, because of apple (ironically), people have great devices, are always looking for more news, rumors to share and take things as fact.

You read a stupid digitimes rumor, you rewrite it (and always add something to it) and share. Another person reads your article and rewrites it (always adds something to it) and share it. Etc.

Those stupid news of Apple cutting orders (so they are falling) have been written for decades. Same thing, just change the name of the product.

• Reply 109 of 213
    jpdlvmhjpdlvmh Posts: 72member

It is obvious that when you get paid you dance to the tunes of your paymaster...

• Reply 110 of 213
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nealg wrote: »
    It would seem to me that Apple has more of a perception problem. Partly because of the share price, people equate that with how well Apple is doing and haven't looked to see that the past 2 quarters were the best revenue producing quarters in its history for that particular quarter.

The perception problem is worse at Apple because their best spokesman is no longer alive. I think Cook is doing an excellent job at Apple on most fronts. On the perception front, he needs a bulldog in house(or and advertising campaign) that will take back the perceived ground that has been lost to Samsung.

I have to think Cook is well aware that Apple's showman is gone and that allowing no new products for such a long time will make Apple "look" even worse despite record breaking sales and profits. Perhaps I'm just an optimist but I have think Cook knows he needs to prove himself and ease the minds pf shareholders and consumers, and will do so in a very spectacular way this year once some items fall into place.
  • Reply 111 of 213
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

So how many iPhone 5s did Apple sell 28 days after launch? I'm assuming its more than 10 million. 

• Reply 112 of 213
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    No garbage is complete without a mention of the ludicrous Brian White of Topeka Capital.
  • Reply 113 of 213
    slurpy wrote: »
    So how many iPhone 5s did Apple sell 28 days after launch? I'm assuming its more than 10 million. 

Well that's the sneaky part of yellow journalism, isn't it? They're not out to do any meaningful comparison, but to generate click traffic. Saying the iPhone 5 sold X millions doesn't generate clicks, but saying it "fell short of expectations" creates a "story."
  • Reply 114 of 213
    future manfuture man Posts: 108member
    Even trees cannot grow endlessly to the sky, the the promoters of Samsung and Google beware! Sooner or later, quarterly growth by the sheer dynamics of mathematics will decrease and thus growth pressures will be placed upon any firm.

Market share is not everything unless you are a firm whose business strategy and cycle is aimed at dominance in market share alone (ala large beer and soda drink makers; craft brewers do not give a hoot!). Apple dominate the Smart Phone market initially because it was first! Others through mass manufacturing are catching up and even surpassing Apple in pure numbers, some myopic analysts think this to be Apples defeat! Not so. Apple's strategic vision from its founding was not to be the biggest, but the best and most innovative, to include quality. For decades I used the infamous WINTEL PCs and I always knew that Apple made a superior product in comparison and I was correct. In a short time, all the WINTEL PCs all looked and acted like identical, boring pizza-box devices. Innovation and design suffered, yet the MAC survived and flourished, as it still does today.

Those buying the cheap, look-alike products from Samsung are most likely entry level users, in time, these consumers may well elevate their devices to 'something different' too.
  • Reply 115 of 213
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by nealg View Post

I have think Cook is well aware that Apple's showman is gone and that allowing no new products for such a long time will make Apple "look" even worse despite record breaking sales and profits. Perhaps I'm just an optimist but I have think Cook knows he needs to prove himself and ease the minds pf shareholders and consumers, and will do so in a very spectacular way this year once some items fall into place.

I believe that he wants to create something. Maybe not a new product, but the best iteration of that product to date. He will be waiting for haswell (second part of the year), the new imagination chip gpu (second part), maybe Igzo, etc.

It's just circumstances.

It would be stupid to release a new iPhone/iPad without the rogue chip from imagination when they would be out 1 or 2 months later, just like new versions of Air and Retinas without the adequate chips from intel. Heck, i wouldn't bet against a retina 13" pro with 750m from Nvidia and a 15" with dual 750m SLI enabled.

Then we have new display tech, the fingerprint sensor for iOS devices, etc. That would be a huge seller for a new iPhone line with bigger screen and current line.

There's also software and the fact that Forstal is gone, that would require more work.

Cook has all the reasons in the world to delay those products even if ignorants are against it. However, what pisses me off, is that he isn't like Steve. When Steve saw some site or jornal behaving like idiots, he would:

• call them idiots;

• ignore.

The press is messing with Cook, Steve wouldn't allow that.

• Reply 116 of 213
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    future man wrote: »
    Even trees cannot grow endlessly to the sky, the the promoters of Samsung and Google beware! Sooner or later, quarterly growth by the sheer dynamics of mathematics will decrease and thus growth pressures will be placed upon any firm.

Market share is not everything unless you are a firm whose business strategy and cycle is aimed at dominance in market share alone (ala large beer and soda drink makers; craft brewers do not give a hoot!). Apple dominate the Smart Phone market initially because it was first! Others through mass manufacturing are catching up and even surpassing Apple in pure numbers, some myopic analysts think this to be Apples defeat! Not so. Apple's strategic vision from its founding was not to be the biggest, but the best and most innovative, to include quality. For decades I used the infamous WINTEL PCs and I always knew that Apple made a superior product in comparison and I was correct. In a short time, all the WINTEL PCs all looked and acted like identical, boring pizza-box devices. Innovation and design suffered, yet the MAC survived and flourished, as it still does today.

Those buying the cheap, look-alike products from Samsung are most likely entry level users, in time, these consumers may well elevate their devices to 'something different' too.

You were going good until you wrote this.
    Apple dominate the Smart Phone market initially because it was first!

Apple was the first to get it right, but they weren't the first. The one good thing for manufacters is that the refresh cycle for smartphones is 2 years at least for now, it's much longer for all other CE.
  • Reply 117 of 213
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Apple was the first to get it right, but they weren't the first.

Quit the nitpicky crap.

We all know exactly what he meant, in context.
  • Reply 118 of 213
    I think a lot of you care too much.
  • Reply 119 of 213
    Quit the nitpicky crap.

We all know exactly what he meant, in context.

To be fair it's better to be safe than sorry. Even today people credit Apple with inventing things they didn't invent. Perfected? Refined? Evolved? Sure. But not invent.
  • Reply 120 of 213
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I have think Cook is well aware that Apple's showman is gone and that allowing no new products for such a long time will make Apple "look" even worse despite record breaking sales and profits. Perhaps I'm just an optimist but I have think Cook knows he needs to prove himself and ease the minds pf shareholders and consumers, and will do so in a very spectacular way this year once some items fall into place.
    You'd think everyone on the executive team would want to prove all these naysayers wrong. I'm hoping we'll see some of it at WWDC.