Intel, Nvidia show off next-gen silicon potentially bound for Apple's future Macs

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 112
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Well there won't be BluRay which has basically failed in the market.

Reports over the past year:

http://blog.cdrom2go.com/2012/08/blu-ray-discs-still-growing/

http://www.myce.com/news/blu-ray-sales-increase-toward-holiday-season-65143/

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/30/us-deg-idUSBRE83S0B120120430

• Reply 102 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

On top of that Apple has removed the ODD from nearly their entire lineup so why expect it to exist in a newly designed Mac Pro that is suppose to be future-forward?

Future forward for pro's who's business requirements differ from that of consumers.  

That said a 3rd party BR burner isn't that hard to buy and install but there are folks who just like to buy it from the factory.  

/shrug  

I don't care either way.  I use standalone Blu-Ray players and enjoy the better image quality than from iTunes.  Every time I buy an iTunes movie I end up regretting it because I could eventually get the same movie for cheaper on Blu-Ray with either digital copy or DVD or both.

The folks attempting to insist on what Apple will or wont do in this thread don't seem to have a very good track record *cough*ipad mini*cough*.

• Reply 103 of 112
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Future forward for pro's who's business requirements differ from that of consumers.  

Buy a freaking $20 drive and be done with it. If they were actually "future-forward", they'd laugh at the idea of an ODD.

• Reply 104 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Buy a freaking $20 drive and be done with it. If they were actually "future-forward", they'd laugh at the idea of an ODD.

That would be an amazing comeback if I didn't write just that in the next line.  No, not even then.

I can see the appeal of having fewer cables and external drives after connecting an external raid to my mini.  I'll probably just take the speed hit and move to a NAS when I move to an 802.11ac network.  However you typically want your burner near your computer and not tucked away somewhere.  

Buy a freaking clue and be done with being a jerk when someone else has an opposing view.

• Reply 105 of 112

That would be an amazing comeback if I didn't write just that in the next line.

It's not directed at you, and you know it.

• Reply 106 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's not directed at you, and you know it.

When you quote me in a response who is it directed at?  Folk not in this thread who won't be reading this?

LOL.

If you're a wedding videographer or something similar then blu-ray is useful as an internal drive on a mac pro.  IMHO the low and and mid-grade pro's benefit more from the expansion capability than the high end pros that have access to large disk arrays and CPU/GPU farms.

Same for folks using mac pros for science computing but I haven't seen many folks buy mac pros for that in a while.  Mini's might be an option today but for some things ECC RAM isn't a nice to have but a requirement.

• Reply 107 of 112

When you quote me in a response who is it directed at?  Folk not in this thread who won't be reading this?

LOL.

Perhaps you shouldn't have written in third-person plural if you intended that particular section to refer to yourself personally, then. 

• Reply 108 of 112
    jcm722jcm722 Posts: 40member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

As far as I'm concerned, the optical drive is the 8-track of computer devices.

If you can't use a guitar pick, maybe you shouldn't be dicking around inside a computer.

I wonder how many of these supposed DIY computer repair proponents actually repair anything else in their lives. What fraction change their oil or replace their brakes, or fix leaky faucets?

All things considered, the 8-track was decent in audio quality, far superior to the cassette before Dolby noise reduction. Your guitar pick comment is stupid and offensive, coming from a Global Moderator. I know this is an old post, shows you how frequently I look at the AppleInsider forum. It is more cost effective to pay for a Speedy Oil Change, don't you think? People do fix their brakes if they know how. Same goes for leaky faucets. You Jeff, must be a Rockefeller. Just for giggles, how much is labor at an Apple Store? Also, what if you happen to live 4 ~ 5 hours from an Apple Store? Oh, I do know how to use a drum stick! Ba Dam Bam!

• Reply 109 of 112
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    jcm722 wrote: »

All things considered, the 8-track was decent in audio quality, far superior to the cassette before Dolby noise reduction.

It's a riff on the obsolescence, not the quality.

Your guitar pick comment is stupid and offensive, coming from a Global Moderator.

Huh.

I know this is an old post, shows you how frequently I look at the AppleInsider forum. It is more cost effective to pay for a Speedy Oil Change, don't you think? People do fix their brakes if they know how. Same goes for leaky faucets. You Jeff, must be a Rockefeller.

I fix my own brakes, I change my own oil, I fix my own computers, I've added an SSD to my 2011 iMac. I also recognize that not a lot of people want to do that kind of work.

Just for giggles, how much is labor at an Apple Store? Also, what if you happen to live 4 ~ 5 hours from an Apple Store? Oh, I do know how to use a drum stick! Ba Dam Bam!

Here's the guide on how to do it yourself:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2544+Teardown/11936/1

I'm not scared off by the process.

Not a lot of computers really get upgraded anyway, people with demanding tasks would probably be aware of that, and buy a model with whatever extras they need.
  • Reply 110 of 112

If the optical drive is so obsolete, why it is still common on most other computers? I do not drive, so no need to fix car stuff. Eyesight prevents it, something you may never consider when it comes to taking apart a Mac. I would not work on a computer myself, but family members would help me. I added RAM to my 2007 iMac, and that is as good as it gets. VoiceOver would be the #1 reason for me to have a Mac, but I'm not ready to call myself blind.

• Reply 111 of 112

Originally Posted by JCM722 View Post

If the optical drive is so obsolete, why it is still common on most other computers?

You're joking, right?

• Reply 112 of 112

Apple is the first to abandon everything.