Editorial: Apple's billions are building an empire for the future

Comments

• Reply 101 of 182
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Animated wallpapers! Animated icons! Animated lock screens!

Comic Sans as a system wide font!

• Reply 102 of 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by realitychecks View Post

As far as home screens go I just like the more desktop like feel of Android's homescreen compared to iOS's app launcher feel. IOS feels like the apo drawer of Android.

Nothing says "stale" more than Android's weather clock, courtesy of HTC's old winmo phones.

• Reply 103 of 182
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member

Apple needs to shore up its truck business. They've turned themselves from a content creation business into a content consumption business. 

1. Were the hell is iLife '13 (or for that matter '12)

2. Aperture (level it up)

3. Mac Pros (a new range of machines is needed)

4. Blu-ray playback / burning support in OSX? (stop ignoring blu-ray and put some burners in your machines)

• Reply 104 of 182
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Unnecessary and rude. Makes you look like a jerk. Particularly when you can add someone to your ignore list and their posts do disappear, more or less (you still have to see if they are quoted but otherwise

I don't put anyone on my ignore list for any reason. I want to listen to all points of view, even the ones that tick me off (like this one).

Btw, if I didn't think it was 'necessary' I wouldn't have posted it.

We're all adults here posting anonymously in an internet forum, and I am sure you/he will survive the rudeness.
  • Reply 105 of 182
    hill60 wrote: »
    Nothing says "stale" more than Android's weather clock, courtesy of HTC's old winmo phones.
    Android doesn't have a weather clock. HTC does. I believe each version of sense had a different version. The current one IMO is absolutely hideous. Yet still better looking than Samsung's. But that's not saying much.
  • Reply 106 of 182
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Nice article.
    When reading about Apple building those huge headquarters made of glass, it's difficult not to understand, at least a little, how the company can be seen as some kind of 'big brother'. I'm not implying anything bad, just imagining Tim Cook having a conference in a huge room, with glass and metal all around him, in this perfect building, the world practically at his feet. :)
  • Reply 107 of 182
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Samsung: "You need our chips.  We're too big to dump."

Apple: "Wanna bet?"

• Reply 108 of 182
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    applepi wrote: »
    Apple needs to shore up its truck business. They've turned themselves from a content creation business into a content consumption business. 

4. Blu-ray playback / burning support in OSX? (stop ignoring blu-ray and put some burners in your machines)

All great points.
  • Reply 109 of 182
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

Uh, no.  Apple has evolved from a Mac + iPod business into an iPhone + iPad + Mac + iPod business.

In that order.  And if you're complaining about Apple products being more for consumption than for creation,

then you're about 7 years behind the times.  The iPod's success should have triggered that response.

But, if we really must talk about Apple's "trucks," I'd say that Mac sales are doing just fine overall.

As a whole, Mac sales have outpaced Wintel PC sales for what?  The last 5 years?  10 years?

All without any factory Blu Ray playback / burning support.  That will simply never happen.  Ever.

Apple has zero interest in providing Blu Ray (or DVD) support long-term.  It's all about iTunes + iCloud now.

The phrase "bag of hurt" comes to mind here.

• Reply 110 of 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

I just wish that Apple would spend a fraction of those tens of billions on improving text services for OS X. I waste hours because the spell-checking and particularly the lookup for misspellings is so dreadful. And why can't OS X (and thus all the apps that depend on it) output documents in ePub as easily as in PDF? We've been in the mobile age for almost a decade and Macs still think we output to paper.

And why is moving documents from applications on my Mac to those on my iPhone or iPad such a hassle? Why do I have to use parallel apps with iCloud sharing? Why aren't there send to commands that make sending documents between devices as easy as printing?

They don't want you to send files from your computer to your phone. They want those files to be automatically synced. We aren't there yet, but we're getting there.

Quote:

Holy shit. The AI moderator is truly trolling me.

Welcome to AI, it's nice isn't it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Unnecessary and rude. Makes you look like a jerk. Particularly when you can add someone to your ignore list and their posts do disappear, more or less (you still have to see if they are quoted but otherwise

Totally. It's incredible that people are attacked for having an opinion and the only answer they get is "you are WROOOONG". It's like kindergarten.

I don't really find iOS stale, but it's mainly thanks to the many apps that are available. The grid can be a little boring sometimes, but I don't see how they can make it better without introducing widgets, which would mean that they'd have to add a separate window listing all apps, and we would find ourselves with android. Apple added folders so that people can arrange more apps together but that wasn't a good answer imo. If there are too many apps on the screen, I now find myself with a grid of folders, which isn't better than having a grid of apps. I like widgets, and I like to have a springboard too. On Mac it's not like I always see the springboard, I only need it when I need to open an app, and even there I can type its name. I wish Apple added a single widget screen that is the first screen visible when accessing the phone, and kept springboard. They would have to find a way to keep the distinct iPhone look in their widgets, maybe by incapsulating them in the same rectangles with rounded corners they use for apps, just bigger. Or just use bigger rectangles. I think the approach that windows took for the homescreen is good and I wonder how Ive is going to make something new while avoiding making it too similar to what already exists so that people won't complain that they copied it.

• Reply 111 of 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I don't know what you mean by "android's weather clock". Android itself never had a weather clock, HTC phones did. And they just changed it.

• Reply 112 of 182
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Uh, no.  Apple has evolved from a Mac + iPod business into an iPhone + iPad + Mac + iPod business.

In that order.  And if you're complaining about Apple products being more for consumption than for creation,

then you're about 7 years behind the times.  The iPod's success should have triggered that response.

But, if we really must talk about Apple's "trucks," I'd say that Mac sales are doing just fine overall.

As a whole, Mac sales have outpaced Wintel PC sales for what?  The last 5 years?  10 years?

All without any factory Blu Ray playback / burning support.  That will simply never happen.  Ever.

Apple has zero interest in providing Blu Ray (or DVD) support long-term.  It's all about iTunes + iCloud now.

The phrase "bag of hurt" comes to mind here.

I'm not against them having iPhone and iPad sales ahead of mac sales as those are the bigger sellers. But with that much money in the bank they shouldn't fall behind on their pro business and that's exactly what they've been doing.

As for blu-ray what does it really hurt to have blu-ray compatibility in the OS and blu-ray burners either external and/or in the Mac Pro? ITunes downloads are a totally different kind of technology. It's not a zero sum game with these two, they can have both. Especially for their pro hardware which has always been very media centric. It's not going to cut into their iTunes downlaods anymore than their superdrives currently cut into sales of SD resolution iTunes movies. But for a content creator like myself it's a huge red flag to me that the future of video work is not on a mac. 

• Reply 113 of 182

They keep on hiring a lot of people to answer that demand of professional applications. 

The bigger they get, the harder it will be for the executive team to control everything. 

• Reply 114 of 182
    skleinivskleiniv Posts: 37member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Almost all of which was due to analysts me their baseless crap talking. Not anything Apple or hasn't done.
    Not really true. Apple sat quietly by and unlike most corps that have good pr firms, didn't say anything to rebuke the negativity. Secondly apple has been very slow to respond to reasonable changes. For example; a bigger screen should have been launched a while back. Once I picked up the bigger sized screens I immediately saw the benefit, especially for those that don't see as well. They really fell behind the ball in buying back shares. If they had initiated a big buy back 4-6 months earlier they could have pushed out the shorts. & stabilizes the price when it was in free fall. They've been saying for years they would have a streaming music business, but it hasn't materialized. Yet, google best them with their own. To say apple isn't at all responsible for its share price drop isn't exactly true. Yes, I think it's way oversold, but that doesn't excuse apple from part of the blame for its share price falling.
  • Reply 115 of 182

And, according to rumors, their own iRadio will be more akin to Pandora than to Spotify. Google music is a very good mix of personal library and streaming. People can listen to whatever artist they like, and they can add specific artists, albums or songs to their favorite, making them appear in their standard library. That is a feature I've been waiting from spotify since its launch. Right now you can only star songs, not even albums or artists. There's no easy way to find everything that I like in a clear way apart from a list of all starred songs. Apple already has iTunes, and I hope that their streaming service will work like this.

Google will appear as the first bringing 3D cities in google maps directly as well as a streaming music service. Apple will appear as if they are just following the trend to the average user. That's not good for their image.

• Reply 116 of 182
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

None of your list actually needs Apple to go near a 'real' television. In fact several of your 'where' list have nothing to do with iOS or even Apple but outside issues like copyrights and studio SOP, Internet bandwidths etc.

Agreed

The more I see it, the more Apple is waiting for the OTA/Cable chasm to cross to internet media (live streaming).   At that point, the 'TV' will be a legacy device to access public cable access and low power vhf broadcasters.   I see Netflix as the one who will drive people to an internet only delivery system, and that will then drive Cable/Content-Producers to Apple and Samsung and beg for a competitive solution (an App on AppleTV).  Problem solved.

the TL;DR version is:  Apple TV problem is a content problem.   Trying to solve it in HW is a fool's folly (same sort of issue with radio... the iPhone doesn't have an FM receiver.... why... the internet fixed that).

• Reply 117 of 182
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I wonder what some people will do when 2014 comes around and we have Apple branded television sets available for purchase. Will they be screaming that Steve Jobs would never have done it?
  • Reply 118 of 182

Another DE(a)D thumbsuck. Nothing to see here ...
  • Reply 119 of 182

Quote:

Android doesn't have a weather clock. HTC does. I believe each version of sense had a different version. The current one IMO is absolutely hideous. Yet still better looking than Samsung's. But that's not saying much.

That is the alternative to Apple's "staleness", the Comic Sans on your "life companion", a shitty clock which approximates what you can see out the window, and guess what it has "easy mode" so the "static screens of icons" extend beyond the launcher and across all the home screens.

If this is the crap you want, go grab some some of this "freshness".

• Reply 120 of 182
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Knowles View Post

Someone needs to plot some graphs superimposing profit, market cap, money etc. for Apple, Amazon, Google etc. so that we can see if Apple is really doomed.

Wait for Philip Elmer DeWitt to do it, then it'll be on here in 5 minutes as a new story.