Looking to pull even with Apple, Samsung to pay developers for Galaxy-specific apps

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    My friend and I went and looked at the GalS4, right away we both noticed how choppy the scrolling was.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Attracting developers specifically to the Galaxy line would allow Samsung to further distinguish itself from other Android manufacturers, putting more distance between itself and the pack in a smartphone industry that has turned into a two-horse race.

Where "further distinguish itself from other Android manufacturers" means "kill off all other Android manufacturers once and for all, including Motorola."  Good luck earning that $12.5 billion back, Google.  You won't fill in that gigantic money pit through Android device sales.  Or through any kind of patent-related lawsuits.  (But it's likely they'll eventually recoup that loss through Android ads.  96% of Google's revenue is from ads.)

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Developers will need to use Samsung's proprietary Chord SDK for media streaming and impromptu networking in order to be eligible for the prize money. Samsung developed the Chord SDK in order to make local device information sharing easier, and the company is looking to develop it to the point where it's an industry standard.

It's possible that Google could create another fork of Android.  Partly so it works optimally with their hardware.  Mostly so they can develop their own new (i.e. "proprietary and closed") features faster than Google seems to be able to any more.  Not even a point release of Android at Google I/O.  Still stuck at 4.2.2 I hear.  Probably just waiting for 4.2's user base to catch up to Gingerbread 2.3's user base.  Could take quite some time, and Samsung doesn't have that time.

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung and Apple together account for 100 percent of the profit being made in the smartphone industry, with Apple every year offering one new, high-end phone and its South Korean competitor peppering the market with a wide range of devices.

Oops.

I said that the phrase "further distinguish itself from other Android manufacturers" really means "kill off all other Android manufacturers once and for all, including Motorola."  A more appropriate true meaning would be "make sure that all current and future Android manufacturers stay dead, including Motorola."  

Much better.

• Reply 43 of 52
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Pathetic measure with pathetic results was already seen with Nokia.

• Reply 44 of 52
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    I might develop for Samsung if they gave me free Apple stock as payment.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    bleh1234 wrote: »
    And once apple becomes the de facto standard, there goes most of their IPs. It becomes SEP

Here's what's wrong with that statement: everything. This has never been the case with de facto standards. Windows is de facto standard and it doesn't lose patent protection. Neither does Google's de facto standard Page Rank algorithm. This kind of "patent seizure for simply being too successful" would dampen innovation in the long run, and it is not in the spirit of the patent system.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    vanfrunikenvanfruniken Posts: 262member
    @Contable Odo :
    "...Samsung is just grabbing both consumer and media mind share from Apple at an astounding rate while Apple is doing absolutely nothing in retaliation. Sitting back and letting rivals upstage your company is never a wise thing. Apple needs to wise up quickly before it's too late."

It happened before. Apple priced itself out of the IBM-compatible PC business. In the Amelio days, the low end Macs were terrible. They should have been very affordable but easily expandable to TRUE Performers, not crippled like the Performas.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

Samsung does finally what already was aticipated for some time: It starts to build it's own eco system. 

Now waiting for step 2: Samsung's own Android fork.

• Reply 48 of 52
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Pretty common.

HTC did the same kind of promotion with their Pen API when it first came out.   Later, pen support was folded into the official Android SDK for everyone to use.

Oldtimers will recall that Apple had Kleiner Perkins up on the stage at the original iPhone SDK release, announcing a $100 million investment fund to help boost iPhone app development.

Heck, even Qualcomm had a Virtual Reality app contest for anyone using their VR SDK.    HP, of course, has long done such promotions.  Samsung also had one for their DVR / TV apps a few years back.  Google had such a promotion for Android at the beginning and some interesting apps came out of it.

Offering prizes is a time honored way to raise interest amongst developers and get some free PR for your product.

Doesn't mean they're going to fork off Android.

• Reply 49 of 52
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    kdarling wrote: »
    Pretty common.

HTC did the same kind of promotion with their Pen API when it first came out.   Later, pen support was folded into the official Android SDK for everyone to use.

Oldtimers will recall that Apple had Kleiner Perkins up on the stage at the original iPhone SDK release, announcing a $100 million investment fund to help boost iPhone app development.

Heck, even Qualcomm had a Virtual Reality app contest for anyone using their VR SDK.    HP, of course, has long done such promotions.  Samsung also had one for their DVR / TV apps a few years back.  Google had such a promotion for Android at the beginning and some interesting apps came out of it.

Offering prizes is a time honored way to raise interest amongst developers and get some free PR for your product.

Doesn't mean they're going to fork off Android.

It's pretty common for a manufacturer to make device specific apps, but getting devs in on it is quite different.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's pretty common for a manufacturer to make device specific apps, but getting devs in on it is quite different.

If you meant that prizes and incentives don't always work out every well, I will not disagree :)

They're mostly attractive only to smaller developers, and projects that don't take a lot of time.

(Getting a truly cool app is a gamble, but even if not, the extra publicity is nice.)

• Reply 51 of 52

I love that samsung is catching up to apple (kind of). I've always been an apple man but I actually really like the new samsungs.

Peter

• Reply 52 of 52
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Samsung still hasn't learned the most important lesson of all:

If you aren't Apple then all your efforts will be fruitless...

Apple?

Fruitless?

Nobody gets it?