Apple debuts new iPhone discounts, subsidies to gain ground in India

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is continually trying new methods to get its products into the hands of Indian consumers, and the Cupertino company recently rolled out a range of new offers to attract iPhone buyers in the world's second-most populous country.

Apple has begun offering trade-in rebates for Indian students bringing in their old smartphones to upgrade to an iPhone. Students will get 7,777 rupees ($144) off the cost of an iPhone, while non-students will get a 7,000 rupee ($130) discount, according to ZDNet.

Indian consumers can also take advantage of an up to 6,000 rupee ($111) refund for American Express customers purchasing an iPhone 4, 4S, or 5 before June 10. The deal requires that the AmEx card be used to purchase the handset on one of Apple's installment plans in the country.

Under the plan, a customer purchasing a 16GB iPhone 5 would receive a $70 rebate, provided that the plan has six monthly installments of 2,374 rupees ($43), plus a 9,990 rupee ($181.50) down 3payment.

Developing markets such as India have proved something of a problem for Apple, which typically prices its products in the premium range. As the company has done in China, Apple rolled out installment plans for Indian consumers, and has seen some measures of success.

Currently engaged in a price war with rival Samsung in the country, Apple is said to be planning to triple its retail operations in-country. The iPhone maker doesn't maintain any of its own retail stores in India, but it will have more than 200 reseller locations in the country by 2015.

The iPhone has taken second place in Indian market share due to Apple's efforts. Apple devices took roughly 15.6 percent of smartphone revenue in India. That figure, though, was far behind Samsung's total of 38.8 percent share.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Apple is continually trying new methods to get its products into the hands of Indian consumers, and the Cupertino company recently rolled out a range of new offers to attract iPhone buyers in the world's second-most populous coutnry.

we didn't have time to run a spell-checker the first time around, but we do have time to read the comments and fix it later.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Build them a wooden iPhone. They will snap it up.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Looks like this does, indeed, presage the arrival of a cheaper iPhone, contrary to my prior hope and belief.

Apple is testing out price elasticity.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »

Who is "them"?
  • Reply 5 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Who is "them"?

Beavers.

• Reply 6 of 36
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »

I'd rather see a left-handed Galaxy 4 -- that would be really well received :)
  • Reply 7 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Please, no talk of toilet paper
  • Reply 8 of 36

Quote:

Who is "them"?

Oops. Awkward. 

• Reply 9 of 36
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

The only way to wrestle China Mobile when they start with the "you need us in order to grow"... Own india.

• Reply 10 of 36
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    But I thought Apple was making a cheap phone for them because there's no way the 'real' iPhone will ever sell there.

They must stop these discounts or they might cannilbalize the cheap phone
  • Reply 11 of 36
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Beavers.

I like big brown beavers like Wynona has.
  • Reply 12 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who is "them"?

Beavers.

Are you trying to be funny or offensive?

• Reply 13 of 36
    skleinivskleiniv Posts: 37member
    What's your point?
  • Reply 14 of 36
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quite a difference from our smart phone market here in Canada.
    My Canadian very successful mobile carrier has proposed a cash takeover of one of the newer lower than top 3 phone carriers, which has simply been piling up debt.

The failed carrier refused to carry the iPhone, that killed them!
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Under the plan, a customer purchasing a 16GB iPhone 5 would receive a $70 rebate, provided that the plan has six monthly installments of 2,374 rupees ($43), plus a 9,990 rupee ($181.50) down 3payment.

I doubt that the price mentioned above is for iphone 4 and not 5. If all calculations are summed up 16 GB iphone's cost comes around only 440 USD (roughly 24000 to 25000 INR). Pls check.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Looks like this does, indeed, presage the arrival of a cheaper iPhone, contrary to my prior hope and belief.

Apple is testing out price elasticity.

How is this move indicative of a cheaper iPhone? On the contrary, I think hardly any of those people would replace the phones they just recently bought with a new low-budget iPhone.
    charlituna wrote: »
    But I thought Apple was making a cheap phone for them because there's no way the 'real' iPhone will ever sell there.

Exactly what I was thinking. Can't make head or tail of it either.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    iuryiury Posts: 1member
    Apple should do the same in Brazil. iPhone sales in Brazil are ridiculous.The iPhone5 unlocked is $1.800,00, 2x more than in US.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Are you trying to be funny or offensive?

I don't know many women who'd want to stick wood inside them (men, for that matter), and since beavers have a penchant for that building material… 

OH! I just got the… "wood" is a double… I see. 

• Reply 19 of 36
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It doesn't, really, so Apple's only choice is to offer a cheaper phone.  

They can either build a special model, or discount the current prices through promotions like this one.   

Quote:

I lol'd.  Best line of the day.

• Reply 20 of 36
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Quote:

Beavers.

Quote:

I don't know many women who'd want to stick wood inside them (men, for that matter), and since beavers have a penchant for that building material… 

OH! I just got the… "wood" is a double… I see. 

I know why I do not come to this forum regularly anymore, with these types of comments and cheap shots. Maybe Indians are smart enough not to accept the inflated prices of all high end smartphones from various companies that is easily accepted in the 'other' countries.