Yahoo announces 1TB Flickr accounts, new UI with high-resolution photos

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As part of a special media event on Monday, Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer unveiled major changes to photo management and sharing service Flickr, with full resolution image support, 1 terabyte of storage for each user, and a revamped user interface.

The announcement, nearly overshadowed by news of Yahoo's $1.1 billion Tumblr acquisition, came during a media event in New York that also highlighted the company's move into a historic Times Square building the New York Times called home for some 90 years.

In a subsequent post on Yahoo's official blog, Mayer detailed the revamped Flickr, one the most significant updates the service has undergone since being purchased by the Internet giant in 2005 for $35 million.

Perhaps most prominent of the changes is Flickr's new Web photostream interface, which replaces the copious amounts of whitespace and blue links with "full resolution' images in a tiled layout. On the desktop version, the gallery is endlessly scrollable, while a new slideshow feature allows for full-screen photo viewing.

Flickr
Old Flickr photostream (top) compared to revamped version.

Mayer also announced a fairly large boost to storage limits, which is now set at 1TB. According to Flickr, the new data cap is enough to hold 537,731 6.5-megapixel photos, or what the average smartphone produces. For the iPhone 5, which takes 8MP shots, the terabyte is good for 436,906 images.

In addition to the refreshed interface and generous storage cap, an Android app was released on Monday, with the title being akin to the iOS version launched in December.

"We hope you?ll agree that we have made huge strides to make Flickr awesome again," Mayer said in the post, "and we want to know what you think and how to further improve!"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    [...] with full resolution image support, 1 terabyte of storage for all users, and a revamped user interface.

1 terabyte of storage for all users ... so that's what ... about 80GB for each user?
  • Reply 2 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This Yahoo Insider is a great website.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quite the day for Yahoo - first of acquisition of Tumblr and now a rather beautiful refresh of Flickr. 

In acquiring Tumblr, Yahoo has snagged one of the most impressive tech minds in social media.

• Reply 4 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

1 terabyte of storage for all users ... so that's what ... about 80GB for each user?

That could be interpreted one of two ways. Yes, they could have been less confusing. And yes, you could have let it go. But good for you in trying to appear clever. Pat, pat on your back. Or should I say, scratch, scratch. There, there, little pooch.

• Reply 5 of 43
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

That could be interpreted one of two ways. Yes, they could have been less confusing. And yes, you could have let it go. But good for you in trying to appear clever. Pat, pat on your back. Or should I say, scratch, scratch. There, there, little pooch.

Condescending much?

• Reply 6 of 43
    prynneprynne Posts: 6member
    Yahoo has long been my junk mail acct., but it's nice to see Yahoo taking off the sackcloth and ashes of late. It promises to provide Apple with a good non-Google alternative for integration in iOS.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Whine, whine, whine, iCloud, whine whine, whine, Dropbox, whine, whine, whine, Skydrive, whine, whine, whine...

...ooh Flickr, more backups the merrier is what always I say.

Prepare to upload photo's from Dropbox folder, this could take some time.

Flickr is integrated into iPhoto too.

• Reply 8 of 43
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    stelligent wrote: »

i usually stop reading ai "articles" and "reviews" i might click on upon encountering the first error in the piece, whatever it might be. so far today they've altered two pieces on such comments. yeah, i know, it's just a crummy blog, but they present themselves as professional and as an authority, and they fail miserably much of the time.

but i suppose i really don't mind ... it's a win-win ... they get free editorial help from people like me who are pointing out such errors, they get page views and ad impressions even when i don't read the piece, and i get a pat on the back from people like you. so, thanks!
  • Reply 9 of 43
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

This is good news for Apple.  Yahoo was in an epic death spiral before the new CEO.  They're getting really focused now and making major improvements to services that will compete against Google and Microsoft.  I'm pretty damn impressed with these improvements to Flickr.

Now if they could just get their act together with Yahoo Mail.

• Reply 10 of 43
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    One might ask what the point of dressing up Flickr is when they still don't have an iPad app for it and the iPhone app is so dated and has such minimal functionality as to be a joke.

People don't sit down at their desktops and connect their SLR's with USB cables anymore so they can "upload pictures to the Internet thingie." They want to send a picture from the camera to their account. Automatically if possible.

I have a flickr account but it's a total pain to use since it doesn't integrate with iOS at all. I also can't "share" any pictures from OS X to Flickr either.

Without device integration how pretty the website is doesn't matter at all.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I have a flickr account but it's a total pain to use since it doesn't integrate with iOS at all. I also can't "share" any pictures from OS X to Flickr either.

Yes you can. If you have Mountain Lion (and Flickr set up in System Prefs), you can right-click any image and share it via Flickr.

• Reply 12 of 43
    kimk69kimk69 Posts: 77member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This Yahoo Insider is a great website.

Ah Sh*t, That made me giggle...

• Reply 13 of 43
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Flickr is integrated into iPhoto too.

I just hope Apple updates iPhoto to allow for full resolution image upload to Flickr without the need for PRO membership.

• Reply 14 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

One might ask what the point of dressing up Flickr is when they still don't have an iPad app for it and the iPhone app is so dated and has such minimal functionality as to be a joke.

People don't sit down at their desktops and connect their SLR's with USB cables anymore so they can "upload pictures to the Internet thingie." They want to send a picture from the camera to their account. Automatically if possible.

Without device integration how pretty the website is doesn't matter at all.

The iPhone app is dated? Last update was in March. That's dated?

Minimal functionality? What are you looking for?

True integration with iOS is up to Apple. This was shown in the developer's version of iOS 5 but didn't make it in the official release.

The inability of transferring photos directly from camera to the cloud is Flickr's fault?

It doesn't sound like you're a knowledgeable or frequent user.

• Reply 15 of 43
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Yahoo! should launch a new service called Misspellr..
  • Reply 16 of 43
    imandoimando Posts: 5member
    Sharing to flickr is build right into iPhoto. Maybe you should try taking pictures instead of making statements.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    dalutulakdalutulak Posts: 14member
    Let's bash every tech company besides Apple! You ready? GO!!!
  • Reply 18 of 43
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    Gawd. This so overloads my senses. It might be fine if you have a ultrafast internet connection, but when you don't it is a huge waste of bandwidth.
  • Reply 19 of 43

I have been contemplating on getting a Flickr account for a while now. 1 TB of storage space seems good since I can save all my photos online. The fact that iOS and OSX have support for Flickr is an added bonus. I think it is time to take the leap.

Coming to Yahoo, with Flickr and now Tumblr, could it be that Yahoo will be the company that suffixes all its services with an 'r'?

• Reply 20 of 43
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    dalutulak wrote: »
    Let's bash every tech company besides Apple! You ready? GO!!!

heh - new round here ain't ya.

lol @ suddenly newton