Apple still by far the world's most valuable brand name

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Once again, the strength of Apple's products has led to the Cupertino company being honored as the most valuable brand in the world, topping not only tech rivals like Google and Microsoft, but also giants of industry like McDonald's and Coca-Cola.

list

Apple overcame continual reports of slipping demand for its products to land again at the top spot in the yearly BrandZ ranking of the world's most valuable corporate brands, according to Market Week. The survey assigned Apple's brand a value of $185.1 billion, more than 60 percent higher than the second place brand, Google's.

IBM, McDonald's, and Coca-Cola rounded out the top five. Microsoft, AT&T, and China Mobile also made the top 10 brands.

Apple is no stranger to the top of the BrandZ list, having grabbed the Brandz crown in both 2011 and in 2012. The company's brand value has increased only by one percent from 2012, but the $71.4 billion separating it from second-place Google is more than the entire brand value of seventh-place Microsoft.

The BrandZ survey attributes Apple's first-place finish to the strength of its brand and the consumer loyalty that that brand inspires.

The BrandZ list isn't the only one to recognize Apple's success. The company also recently took the top spot in the Superbrands business brand survey, as well as the second spot in an accompanying consumer brand survey, behind only Rolex.

In October of last year, brand consultancy firm Interbrand found Apple to have the second-best brand value in the world, behind only Coca-Cola.

In BrandZ's estimation, Apple's brand value has increased by $30 billion since it took the top spot in the rankings in 2011.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Of course yes!  If such companies are not the #1 best brand... god should start everything from start. May be, he should hardwire something in our brains or minds.

Actually he should do now. Oh wait. Samsung is not in the list.

• Reply 2 of 13
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    And a senate subcommittee just issued a finding that Apple hasn't paid the taxes on the current value of its branding either.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    The checks from Sammy haven't cleared yet.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member

I like how some people try to make us believe that Apple is going "out of fashion". 

• Reply 5 of 13
    mieswallmieswall Posts: 84member

Brand Value: $195/sh

cash on hand: $155/sh

buildings, inventories, IP, future cashflows: 0  (You know, business has stopped already).

Total: $350.

David Trainer's estimated Apple share value: $240.

Trainer's advice: "priceless". Sorry: give him back $110 for each share you have. You know, ROIC is shrinking...

One more thing: I understand brand value is reflected in the balance sheets as: "goodwill". Apple goodwill, as in balance sheet, is about 0.1% of stock value. For comparisons, Hewlett Packard has a declared goodwill of over 80% of its stock value. Of course, they are profiting like demons (loosing over 30% of the whole company value per year)...

Great advice, David Trainer!

• Reply 6 of 13
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    A couple of thoughts%u2026

It notable that Samsung is nowhere to be seen on the list (are they top 50 even?).

Seeing IBM remaining at #3 puts some doubt in my mind as to the value and accuracy of the list.

Perhaps among a few high-level corporate holdouts, IBM as a brand has meaning on par with Apple and Google, McDonalds and Coca Cola, but otherwise how on earth can they have so much added to their value as a brand?

Wasn't Nike up there in the top ten once upon a time? Where did they vanish to? What about Facebook (who supposedly are being used by 1/7 of the world's population)? I think this top ten could use a little work...

• Reply 7 of 13
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    The most profitable company in the industry is also the one that moves it forward. No surprise here.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

It notable that Samsung is nowhere to be seen on the list (are they top 50 even?).

Samsung is #30 on the list. Facebook is #31

• Reply 9 of 13
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Well of course, apple sells millions, sends billions of elecronic based stuff a day! Plus have the latest tech to do it. I am sorry for Samsung but let me know when out of the box I can get all my files instantly on 100s of devices in minutes!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    nagg05nagg05 Posts: 5member

Huh

• Reply 11 of 13

Interbrand ranked Apple with a value of 76,000m where as BrandZ ranked Apple with a value of 185,000m. There's a difference of over 2x there... Apple wasn't the top of Interbrand's list either, yet Apple Insider titled this article as "Apple still by far the world's most valuable brand name". Market week has written several articles talking about how these ranks are not very accurate because "Numbers like these attempt to quantify the unquantifiable, to give the illusion of certainty to something that is fundamentally uncertain the way we all think, feel, react and emote." We all know that Apple Insider is incredibly bias towards Apple, I just wish they wouldn't write articles this misleading.

• Reply 12 of 13
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Ziggy, are you trolling? Of course the numbers by themselves mean nothing. However the numbers relative to others mean something. You also can't compare numbers from two different ranking companies. The headline isn't misleading.