Apple's iPad dominates online shopping traffic & revenue generation

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Despite growing competition from other tablets, Apple's iPad still accounts for a whopping 89.28 percent of e-commerce website traffic, and also rakes in more money on a per-user basis than any other platform.

Monetate
Source: Monetate Ecommerce Quarterly report for Q1 2013.

The figures come from Monetate's latest Ecommerce Quarterly report issued on Wednesday and provided to AppleInsider. The data culled from the first quarter of calendar 2013 shows that Apple's iPad still accounts for nearly 9 out of every 10 tablets that browse e-commerce websites.

Apple's still-dominant share is down slightly from a year ago, when it commanded 91.68 percent of e-commerce traffic. Gaining presence were Android tablets, which grew from 4.75 percent a year ago to 8.20 percent in the first quarter.

Interestingly, Amazon's Kindle Fire lost traffic share among online shopping websites over the last year, falling from 3.58 percent to 2.51 percent.

When it comes to how much money tablet users spend, Apple's iPad is also the leader, with an average order value of $99.05. Android tablets took second on a per-order basis, with $95.48, while the Kindle Fire came in third with $83.58.

Monetate

The data shows that not only are iPad owners more likely to shop on the Web, they also spend more money, on a per-person basis, than competing platforms. The figures are from a random sample of more than 500 million online "shopping experiences" tracked by Monetate, whose clients include Best Buy, Frontier Airlines, Aeropostale, The Sports Authority and PETCO.

The use of tablets for online shopping is also surging, growing from 5.95 percent of e-commerce traffic in the first quarter of 2012 to 10.58 percent at the start of 2013. Tablets remain slightly more popular than smartphones for online shopping, as handsets accounted for 10.44 percent of e-commerce traffic. Traditional computers still account for the lion's share, with 78.99 percent in the first quarter of 2013.

Monetate

Among traditional computers, Mac owners also spend more per order, according to Monetate, with an average purchase value of $106.35. Windows PC users spend an average of $97.77 per order. No breakdown of OS X vs. Windows e-commerce traffic was given.

Finally, among smartphone shoppers, Google's market leading Android platform was the most profitable on a per-purchase basis, accounting for an average of $107.14 per purchase. That was slightly more than Apple's iPhone, with an average of $107.03 per e-commerce order placed.

Like with Mac vs. PC. Monetate's data did not break down traffic from Android and iPhone smartphones, so it's unknown which platform sees more overall e-commerce shoppers. Though Google's Android currently accounts for 75 percent of smartphones shipped, Apple's iOS still leads in terms of browser share usage, suggesting that iPhone and Android owners use their devices in much different fashions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I would guess that most aeropostale shoppers are the type of buyers who want to purchase clothes that are trendy, but not spend the money to get a real quality garment. I may be off but I would assume that means they would be non informed smart phone/tablet purchasers as well. Ie "I have a tablet/smart phone too" also calling their generic tablet an iPad.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    See...more reasons Apple is failing. It's market share dropped 2+ percentage points! Sell! Sell! /s

Seriously more Apple users spend money than Androiders.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    juiljuil Posts: 75member

Well... Booya haters!!

• Reply 4 of 19

Unless you're working on a spreadsheet (ugh!) or some other work like task...

I've found just about everything is easier and more fun on an iPad.

That includes shopping! :)

I use my iPhone for max. mobility, but prefer to do most things on the iPad.

• Reply 5 of 19
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    As the NYT will put it, "Android tablet dominance almost doubles in past year while Apple's iPad loses ground."
  • Reply 6 of 19
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    No surprise
  • Reply 7 of 19
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Pretty incredible. 

But then again, you get horse-shit stories like this: http://www.forbes.com/....

(I won't give them click views)

Quote:

Android has already taken the tablet market lead from Apple. IDC expects Android to control 60% of the tablet market by the end of June 2013.

It wasn’t always so gloomy for Apple’s iPad. After all in the second quarter of 2012, the iPad commanded over 60% of the tablet market — but that figure has dropped ”to around 40% in each of the third and fourth quarters of 2012 and the first quarter of 2013,” reports Venturebeat.

And Android has been gulping iPad’s market share. Venturebeat notes that between the first quarter of 2012 and the first quarter of 2013, Apple swapped the lead with Android — in 2012 Apple outsold Android by 11.8 million to 8 million; while in that same period in 2013, Android trumped the iPad by 27.8 million to 19.5 million.

Moreover, IDC expects skies to darken for the iPad. In the second quarter of 2013, IDC believes that Apple will ship fewer than 19.5 million units because Apple is not launching what CEO, Tim Cook, called its “amazing” new hardware until “fall 2013 and throughout 2014.” Thus IDC expects Apple to ship between 17 million and 18 million iPads — leaving Android tablets with 60% of the market in Q2 2013.

So "gloomy" indeed. Skies are "darkening". The horror. 

• Reply 8 of 19
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

I think the most interesting statistic shown here is that Amazon's share of tablet based traffic (Kindle Fire + HD) dropped by something like roughly 30% YOY. Admittedly, the numbers aren't that big to begin with, but it can't be viewed as a good sign that they are going backwards.

Android's seems to have increased from almost nothing to very little. Not surprising, given how low they were a year ago, but they aren't exactly storming the ramparts, either, considering that this represents a now "mature" Android tablet market with an OS available that is at least somewhat designed to run on a tablet.

• Reply 9 of 19
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    As the NYT will put it, "Android tablet dominance almost doubles in last year while Apple's iPad loses ground."

Them spin doctors gotta earn their keep. :lol:
  • Reply 10 of 19
    rcoleman1rcoleman1 Posts: 153member
    I know I'm included in those stats somewhere...I love shopping on my iPad!
  • Reply 11 of 19
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Has anyone noticed Apple has completely redesigned their online store?

store.apple.com

I think it's a big improvement visually. 

• Reply 12 of 19
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member

Waiting for MacRulez to come in and say it's only one study and doesn't mean anything.

'

Meanwhile forgetting that IBM did their own version of this last fall (comparing devices used for shopping online) and they found the iPad was around 90% as well (lining up with this report).

• Reply 13 of 19
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Almost all of my shopping is done through Amazon, although it was through their App on my iPad or iPhone.  I'm curious if these studies include App usage too.

• Reply 14 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Lonely Platforms

Ah, look at all the lonely platforms 

Larry and Sergey, building a search that would be the new standard for years, 

Nobody feared 

Schmidt came along and bought an OS, I confess, made it just like Apple's 

Talk about bull

All the lonely platforms 

To whom are they all sold? 

All the lonely platforms

Hey, are they even sold? 

Steven A. Ballmer, starting from scratch on their phones with a batch of new code

Developers. 

Not skeuomorphic, trimmed it right down to just primary colors and squares 

What does he care? 

All the lonely platforms 

To whom are they all sold?

All the lonely platforms 

Hey, are they even sold?

Research in Motion, dying off slowly by changing its name and its brand

Still rather bland 

Hedging their bets with piggybacking Android app compatibility

… Really? 

All the lonely platforms (ah, look at all the lonely platforms) 

To whom are they all sold…  

All the lonely platforms (ah, look at all the lonely platforms) 

Hey, are they even sold…

• Reply 15 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Has anyone noticed Apple has completely redesigned their online store? I think it's a big improvement visually. 

Indeed! They finally got rid of the "in between" page and it jumps right from clicking MacBook Pro (for example) to the SKUs.

• Reply 16 of 19
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    <p style="text-align:center;font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Palatino;">[SIZE=14px]Lonely Platforms[/SIZE]</p>

You my friend have way too much time on your hands. Good job though.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

I can't access the report and so do not know whether my question can be answered therein. Here, we see a massive bias of iPad users browsing e-commerce sites. But, unless I missed it, this article doesn't say how many browsers actually make purchases. We are only told that when someone makes a purchase, they spend on average the same amount regardless of platform. That is unsurprising because consumers, by and large, are drawn to the same e-commerce sites and buy the same "stuff".

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Has anyone noticed Apple has completely redesigned their online store? I think it's a big improvement visually. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Indeed! They finally got rid of the "in between" page and it jumps right from clicking MacBook Pro (for example) to the SKUs.

But they haven't redesigned it to be more responsive. The same website pops up regardless of device. It's kind of silly that the company that sells the most tablets and smartphones does not have a website (including the store) that is legible on the smaller screens.

• Reply 18 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

But they haven't redesigned it to be more responsive. The same website pops up regardless of device. It's kind of silly that the company that sells the most tablets and smartphones does not have a website (including the store) that is legible on the smaller screens.

Seriously, you're holding it wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I think the most interesting statistic shown here is that Amazon's share of tablet based traffic (Kindle Fire + HD) dropped by something like roughly 30% YOY. Admittedly, the numbers aren't that big to begin with, but it can't be viewed as a good sign that they are going backwards.

Android's seems to have increased from almost nothing to very little. Not surprising, given how low they were a year ago, but they aren't exactly storming the ramparts, either, considering that this represents a now "mature" Android tablet market with an OS available that is at least somewhat designed to run on a tablet.

As small as Amazon's thin share may be, at least they made the charts. Microsoft's WindowsRT didn't even show up, nor did the Nook which Microsoft is thinking of buying. Life is no fun in Uncle Fester's world.

• Reply 19 of 19
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What is the basis for this data and how reliable is it?