Former Gartner analyst Michael Gartenberg joins Apple marketing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Michael Gartenberg, a longtime industry analyst who most recently covered technology for Gartner, has taken a job on Apple's marketing team working under executive Phil Schiller.

Gartenberg

Gartenberg's new position at Apple was first reported on Wednesday by Connie Guglielmo of Forbes. Aside from his position in marketing under Schiller, it's unknown exactly what role he will take at the Cupertino, Calif., company.

The analyst previously had a brief stint as an evangelist with Microsoft in 2007, but that role only lasted a month. He is one of the most well-known analysts in the tech industry.

In other roles, Gartenberg was an analyst and partner at Altimeter Group, vice president of strategy at Interpret LLC, and research director at Jupiter Research. He's also served on the board of directors for the Consumer Electronics Association, which runs the annual Consumer Electronics Show.

Other high-profile hires made by Apple this year include Kevin Lynch, former chief technology officer at Adobe, and Josh Rosenstock, ex director of external corporate communications at Rolls-Royce.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    focherfocher Posts: 687member

Title misspells his name.

• Reply 2 of 13
    cherrypopcherrypop Posts: 86member
    In Feb. 2007, he joined Microsoft as an %u201Centhusiastic evangelist,%u201D

Says so much about Microsoft's often bizarre marketing, and, it has me wondering if I was wrong about Cook.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 4 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Strange.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    macrulez wrote: »
    Should we expect all those who've been claiming Gartner is filled with idiots to now proclaim that Apple is doomed?
    Oh I've no doubt just like with Kevin Lynch people will be complaining that this is a bad hire and Cook needs to be fired. ????
  • Reply 6 of 13
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Should we expect all those who've been claiming Gartner is filled with idiots to now proclaim that Apple is doomed?

No, because that would be a fucking irrational statement, on all levels. 

But you're a troll, and your post was somewhat predictable. 

• Reply 7 of 13
    satoricalsatorical Posts: 60member
    Choosing my words with care: I hope this particular career move is an unqualified success for Mr. Gartenberg.
  • Reply 8 of 13

No it doesn't. Gartenberg joined Gartner Group after his company, Jupiter Research, was acquired by Gartner.

• Reply 9 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

Title misspells his name.

No it doesn't. Gartenberg joined Gartner Group after his company, Jupiter Research, was acquired by Gartner.

• Reply 10 of 13

Reading this guy's bio makes me wonder if he ain't a job hopper...

• Reply 11 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Reading this guy's bio makes me wonder if he ain't a job hopper...

If so, when he leaves Apple he'll be the first analyst to ever be able to say anything accurate about the company.

• Reply 12 of 13
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Can't think why Apple needs an analyst on the payroll.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    @satorical: thanks for that explanation. My contempt for Gartner is quite high... but who can blame people whose companies are bought to suddenly be working for one they never chose ^^