10M Samsung flagship phones in 28 days a 'record,' 5M iPhone 5 in 3 days 'disappointing'

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 213
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Sammy can easily clear the confusion by releasing actual numbers.

They could but they already said they won't, two years ago about the time the Apple lawsuits against them started. FWIW I've yet to receive a reply to the related question I sent them almost a week ago, nor do I expect one (Anymore than Apple really answered the one I sent them for that matter).

• Reply 202 of 213
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

So when some "reporters" seized on the smaller US number as "proof" that Samsung's worldwide sales for that quarter must be false, they were being ignorantly parochial.

You can do that, be selective about which part of the journalistic community to 'seize upon' to make a point. There are a few that may indeed support your point with their stupidity. I wasn't referring to any articles that mix US numbers with worldwide numbers to create a false narrative. (You may notice I'm sensitive to the shipping vs sales, domestic vs global differences.)

Although we're not really talking about "all devices, all over the world" here, yes, Samsung still sells millions of "button-filled feature phones" for $50 each in the far reaches of the world. The numbers being seized upon by ME were the relevant numbers (specific to the 'offending devices' in the relevant market). That said, a simple extrapolation gives us the sense that Samsung is prone to egregious misrepresentation, theft, keep going down that road...

Samsung pretended at huge, competitive US sales. They also pushed their cheaper look-alike products out to dozens of other countries in large numbers, but again, not nearly as large as they portrayed.

A peek into their real numbers came from the trial. To imagine that the same reality didn't apply generally would be willful ignorance.

• Reply 203 of 213
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Actually I think Doug Englebart was the first to demo a mouse back in the 60s.

Yes, I was being partially facetious with my "apple invented the mouse" sentence… ;)

Englebart holds the patent on the two-wheel/cylinder X-Y roller behavior that enables positional input. A pretty ingenious idea. His ideas definitely gave birth to the mouse (he may even have given the mouse its name). Apple licensed that invention and incorporated it into a complete and useable end-product. 

When I think of "the first copier" I don't think of the team of guys in white smocks in a Xerox lab experimenting and writing up patents… I think of the first commercial machine put out by a company as a product. In the end, isn't that the one that matters to people like you and me?

Really the important point in my post was this, "Apple's genius isn't exclusively about "invention" anyway, so much as recognizing good ideas and inventing ways to productize/monetize them, incorporating them into new or existing products, and finding/extending ideas that make a difference to how we experience our lives."

peace.

• Reply 204 of 213
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Your point is pretty moot when the market space you're referring to is such a small fraction of the rest...

No it isn't, read Apples financial statements, they also say they count shipments
  • Reply 205 of 213
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Sammy can easily clear the confusion by releasing actual numbers.

I finally got a few free minutes to do some checking.

Samsung did cite smartphone sales for 1Q 2011 in their earnings report, and they're in line with estimates afterwards.  Using those and the trial figures, we get:

Those numbers indicate that US sales as reported for the trial were a small minority of the world total.

So it seems believable that Samsung could've likewise sold 2 million tablets worldwide during one quarter, with only 260K of the infringing models in the USA.  (Especially since the iPad was really dominant in the USA at the time.)

Unfortunately, some people could not conceive of the idea of sales being so much larger outside the USA.  That, plus the mistaken transcription that first typed "slow" instead of "smooth", are what started the whole "shipped vs sales" thing that innocent forum newbies have used to sidetrack debates with, ever since.

• Reply 206 of 213
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    2/3rds of your chart is estimates. Sammy stopped after 2Q 2011. Also, what is considered a Sammy "smartphone".

You can't compare the smart phone market to the tablet market. Tablets are 100% optional. Cell phones, whether we like it or not, are more ubiquitous.
  • Reply 207 of 213

Quote:

2/3rds of your chart is estimates. Sammy stopped after 2Q 2011. Also, what is considered a Sammy "smartphone".

The estimates actually look really good.  As I noted, they're totally in line with known info.  If you can research anything better, please show us.

In any case, even if we took just the known 1Q 2011, US sales of the accused devices were less than 1/6th of world sales.

Quote:

You can't compare the smart phone market to the tablet market. Tablets are 100% optional. Cell phones, whether we like it or not, are more ubiquitous.

Agreed, especially in the US where cell phones are subsidized.

Moreover, in the US, the iPad rules.   That's why I said it was even MORE likely that Samsung tablet sales were greater outside the US.  

• Reply 208 of 213
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    kdarling wrote: »

Agreed, especially in the US where cell phones are subsidized.

Moreover, in the US, the iPad rules.   <span style="line-height:1.231;">That's why I said it was even MORE likely that Samsung tablet sales were greater outside the US.  </span>

Somehow I doubt it. Do you know what the ratio is for flagship Sammy's vs cheap Sammy's? If overseas isn't going for the flagship phones (compared to the cheapies) I highly doubt they will go for a tablets that are similar in cost.
  • Reply 209 of 213

From the "Probably overkill" department: If your smartphone goes missing who ya gonna call? How about LoJack who will send a real, live person to retrieve it. Available only for the Galaxy S4 so far but coming soon for others.

http://blogs.absolute.com/lojack-for-laptops/2013/05/announcing-theft-protection-for-android-smartphones/

• Reply 210 of 213
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    From the "Probably overkill" department: If your smartphone goes missing who ya gonna call? How about LoJack who will send a real, live person to retrieve it. Available only for the Galaxy S4 so far but coming soon for others.

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:15px;line-height:21px;">http://blogs.absolute.com/lojack-for-laptops/2013/05/announcing-theft-protection-for-android-smartphones/</span>

Too bad it ain't built in, aye?

So is this mob worldwide or what?
  • Reply 211 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Too bad it ain't built in, aye?

You didn't read the article? Apparently it is "built-in", installed at the firmware level, on the new S4's.

"Absolute Software, the makers of LoJack for Laptops, recently announced a global partnership with Samsung that will see our patented Absolute persistence technology embedded into the firmware of Samsung GALAXY mobile devices starting with the Samsung GALAXY S4.

Leveraging the same Absolute persistence technology used in LoJack for Laptops, once installed and activated it cannot be removed even if the device is restored to factory settings. "

• Reply 212 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Their web page says the recovery team is made up of about 45 members who are ex-cops, military, FBI, etc... with a combined 1,000 years of experience in law enforcement.

I thought they only operated in the US, but the page says they've recovered "25,000 devices in over 95 countries".

I can't imagine they'd spend much money flying people around to get back a single phone, but who knows.