Google reportedly mulling $1B Waze bid, could spark bidding war with Facebook

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    hill60 wrote: »
    ...but, but, but, it indicates a level of sarcasm even Americans seem to understand, sort of like a waiter walking into a scene with a tray of cream pies or some other variation of slapstick which Americans seem overly fond of.

...even Americans? As opposed to what Martians?
  • Reply 22 of 41
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I liked a comment I saw on Twitter: Google is interested in Waze to shut it down.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    massconn72massconn72 Posts: 162member

I use Waze a lot. I like it. Although it has it's problems in NYC. If Crapbook buys them I am gone for good. 

• Reply 24 of 41
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    ...but, but, but Google maps are already perfect.

Why would they need to buy another mapping company?

It does not need to buy Waze. This is either to drive the price up on Facebook or to keep Facebook from acquiring Waze. A Facebook mapping service likely would put a hit on Google Maps. It would be sad for Waze if Google acquires it.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    massconn72 wrote: »
    I use Waze a lot. I like it. Although it has it's problems in NYC. If Crapbook buys them I am gone for good. 

If it is independently run, you should not care. Moreover, since Waze relies on social interaction Facebook could make it stronger.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    jsmythe00 wrote: »
    side bar: what i think apple needs to do is buy a carrier. or bandwidth and have mobile services thats caters specifically to ios

Yes, and I wonder how that would go over with the other carriers selling Apple's iPhone. Never going to happen.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    ash471 wrote: »
    Apple would be a lot better off if it released its maps for Android and desktop.  I hope that is coming sometime soon. I'm afraid that developers will all use Google because they can easily distribute their software on multiple platforms.  

Apple would ruin Waze if it purchased it, because Waze needs large numbers and limiting it to Apple would limit the number of people that would play the dumb games.
    Apple will not release an Android App. Why should it? It doesn't need the money or the headaches.

Please, what are the download numbers for Waze on the App Store and Google Play?

solipsismx wrote: »
    This isn't the 1930s. When was the last time you saw an American sitcom where cream pies were utilized as a gag?

I remember an ep of Three's Company.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Please, what are the download numbers for Waze on the App Store and Google Play?

I remember an ep of Three's Company.

oooohhh. . .

that was the 50's right?image

• Reply 29 of 41
    ...but, but, but, it indicates a level of sarcasm even Americans seem to understand, sort of like a waiter walking into a scene with a tray of cream pies or some other variation of slapstick which Americans seem overly fond of.

I've heard Australians are bigots, I wonder where they got that from?.. At least America makes their money by creating things people want, like Apple products. Australia makes money by selling rocks. I guess that makes them dumber than rocks?..
  • Reply 30 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post

Does anyone else think the "but, but, but" thing needs to stop.  It seems to come up at least once in every thread, sometimes more.  It's overplayed so please stop.

But but but… no, it doesn't. Not by a long shot. "once in every thread"? How many threads are you reading?

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This isn't the 1930s. When was the last time you saw an American sitcom where cream pies were utilized as a gag?

I miss the Three Stooges… 

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

I've heard Australians are bigots, I wonder where they got that from?.. At least America makes their money by creating things people want, like Apple products. Australia makes money by selling rocks. I guess that makes them dumber than rocks?..

… He was joking.

• Reply 31 of 41
    hawkbladehawkblade Posts: 76member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by realwarder View Post

I was thinking similar.  Not that Google maps was perfect, but what was the point of them buying something else?

OK, WAZE is not a mapping program.  It is a community traffic/GPS program.  The map underneath is just reference.  They do real time traffic reporting from data gathered from those driving and marking objects such as car on side of road, accidents, police, etc.  This is something Apple announced they were going to do on iOS 6 with their map app, the community traffic/GPS thing.  

As for topic. NNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!  both corps would destroy a great little program.  I don't have to worry about personal data going bye bye, or ad's while I am trying to drive (yes sometimes get one now when the vehicle is close to a place and is stopped at a light or something), but not like it would be if Google got their hands on it.  

As for WAZE - I use it every day back and forth to work, trips, and any other time I drive my vehicle.  It's like a driving module that needs to turned on before starting the vehicle.  It's nice to see what is ahead such as traffic jams, cops, weather, etc.  If they do sell to either, I will be finding another program to do what it does.  

• Reply 32 of 41
    jivanilejivanile Posts: 76member

Quote:

I understand why it's used it's just over played.  It was fine when it was used the first or second time on this website but it's just done over and over now.  It's rather annoying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But but but… no, it doesn't. Not by a long shot. "once in every thread"? How many threads are you reading?

I miss the Three Stooges… 

… He was joking.

Go and read comments in any story that has ties to Apple and Either Google or a Android manufacturer and you will see multiple but but but comments.  I did figure you would be against it going away seeing that you use it.  I wonder if you were one of those people that said WASSSSSUPPPPPP while wagging your tongue a year after those bud light commercials aired on TV many years ago.

• Reply 33 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post

…any story… 

Again, no. It happens (far less frequently as of late), but not nearly "any story". 

I did figure you would be against it going away seeing that you use it.

I'm pretty sure I started it, in fact. image It's not that I'm not against it going away—we can agree not to do it, if that's the general consensus—but your claim that it happens in every thread like this is just wrong. 

It was 'taste of your own medicine' at first, and it worked for its purpose back then. It could certainly fall by the wayside even more than it already has, which is to say again that it certainly doesn't happen in every thread.

• Reply 34 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

If it is independently run, you should not care.

Right, because Facebook would acquire to let it be independent instead of folding it in with the rest of their services to mine all the data. Yeah, that's realistic.

• Reply 35 of 41
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Wow, WAZE really wants to be bought out dont they. First they release a rumour that Facebook are interested, then google. I suspect Samsung will be next on their list of rumours.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member

Quote:

...but, but, but Google maps are already perfect.

To kill off competition of course... welcome to the new Microsoft, er, Google.

Larry Page's Google is no longer kinder or gentler.  

• Reply 37 of 41
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    ash471 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more.  Facebook should do a search box like Google+ and start providing users with combined searches of social network and web-based searches. Until that happens, Facebook will continue to be stuck in the 90's with shitty irrelevant ads that no one clicks on.

Facebook unveiled graph search at the beginning of the year.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    slurpy wrote: »
    ..and Apple could easily outbid Google if they wanted to. They've got a shitload more money. The question is only whether they feel they need Waze or not. Maybe I'm speaking from ignorance, but when it comes to POIs Apple needs all the help it can get. Foursquare would be even better. 

The POI issue will be resolved significantly in many regions by this time next year. The significance of a specific announcement of a certain feature at WWDC will be lost on many people (as is par for the course). Business owners will be stumbling over themselves to ensure they are exploiting a certain forthcoming feature which will ultimately improve much of the data.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    massconn72 wrote: »

Same here. I don't need notorious privacy violators like Facebook to have even more tools to collect information about me.
    All this social networking is just a euphemism for destroying privacy and turning everyone's life and personality into an open book to further corporate interests.

I can do just fine without that...
  • Reply 40 of 41
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Convict rocks.