Verizon Cloud iPhone backup software launches on Apple's App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
Verizon this week launched a new iPhone application for its subscribers that gives access to the carrier's cloud-based syncing and backup service.

Verizon

The official Verizon Cloud application is now available as a free download on the App Store. It requires iOS 5.0 or later, and is optimized for the 4-inch display on the iPhone 5.

Customers can sign up for the Verizon Cloud service, which debuted last month, by visiting the carrier's website. The entry-level 500-megabyte plan is free, while 25 gigabytes are available for $2.99 per month, 75 gigabytes for $5.99 per month, or 125 gigabytes for $9.99 per month.

Features of the newly released iOS application, according to Verizon, include:
  • Keep your phone's content safe and secure in your own private cloud storage
  • Access your content when you need it, even on the go, on any compatible device, your computer or the web
  • Sync photos and videos from Verizon Cloud to your device, and then share that synched content with your friends and family
  • Stream music and access documents stored in Verizon Cloud on your phone
  • Backup content from your computer's hard drive to your Verizon Cloud using the downloadable computer app. You can then access that content on your mobile devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    jack macjack mac Posts: 92member
    You really going to trust Verizon?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jack mac wrote: »
    You really going to trust Verizon?

This seems pretty straightforward.
    Keep your phone's content safe and secure in your own private cloud storage
  • Reply 3 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

This seems pretty straightforward.

How in the world do you think that's an answer?

• Reply 4 of 16
    rcoleman1rcoleman1 Posts: 153member
    No thanks. Lol
  • Reply 5 of 16
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    No thank you.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 167member
    No thanks. I'll stick with the new dropbox killer http://goo.gl/KRJdT
  • Reply 7 of 16
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    How in the world do you think that's an answer?

I'd question it if it were free, and they've had Backup Assistant for a few years now so I think that they have some good experience with cloud backups.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    macologistmacologist Posts: 264member
    How is this different from these: iCloud, Drop Box, and various other Online Backups?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Sure thing, Verizon, I'll back up my files on your network.

And then discover that I can't retrieve them when needed because it will exceed your bandwidth caps…
  • Reply 10 of 16
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I'd question it if it were free, and they've had Backup Assistant for a few years now so I think that they have some good experience with cloud backups.

This is a good point - VZ already has experience in the area.  I don't see any reason why they'd be less trustworthy than Apple.  While iCloud has been very good overall, it's not like it hasn't had hiccups.  That said, the 15GB iCloud subscription I already pay for is enough for me.

• Reply 11 of 16
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    It's more drop box than iCloud. As for the audience. It's for people who are loyal to carriers not phones. Probably nobody here.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Features of the newly released iOS application, according to Verizon, include:
    <ul><li>Keep your phone's content safe and secure in your own private cloud storage</ul>

I don't know what this is supposed mean! iOS apps are sandboxed and can't access each other's data. So the most this app could do is backup your camera roll and other common media files, but iCloud already does this for free! So what are you paying for here? Maybe access to your PC backups from your mobile device?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post

No thanks. I'll stick with the new dropbox killer http://goo.gl/KRJdT

Promising, but only another entry.  Google's now giving 15GB (combined across all Google services, including GMail). Kind of interesting, though, that for those willing to allocate different kinds of files to different services and remember what goes where that between all the free plans out there it's getting relatively easy to cobble together up to 50-60GB or more of free cloud storage...

Quote:

Originally Posted by macologist View Post

...Walking into US Cell Carrier's Stores is the best Advertising for AppleCare! In most cases in those stores they try harder to sell Android Phones. Why? Cause Apple's Products Just Work, and thus puts the Carrier's Employees Out Of Work, cause their "Support" is not needed. That is what I have observed, so I assume that it's like that in most places!...

Just correcting you on one point of your post.  Think it's fairly well-established that the main reason store reps push Androids is not service income, it's upfront income on the sale.  Apple demands and gets a higher margin on iPhones sold by the carriers at the same price point as Androids.

• Reply 14 of 16
    normm wrote: »
    I don't know what this is supposed mean! iOS apps are sandboxed and can't access each other's data. So the most this app could do is backup your camera roll and other common media files, but iCloud already does this for free! So what are you paying for here? Maybe access to your PC backups from your mobile device?

It's primarily for people who change devices not carriers. Move your photos from iOS to Android etc.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Feeble attempt at yet more Verizon lock-in.
    My Verizon-using friends say that Verizon has always been the King of Lock-In.
    First by storing all your contact info on their servers back in the dumb-phone days.
    Making it much harder to transfer your contacts to a competing network's phone.
    And now they're asking money for a service that's free from Apple with all iPhones.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Feeble attempt at yet more Verizon lock-in.
    My Verizon-using friends say that Verizon has always been the King of Lock-In.
    First by storing all your contact info on their servers back in the dumb-phone days.
    Making it much harder to transfer your contacts to a competing network's phone.
    And now they're asking money for a service that's free from Apple with all iPhones.

Down with free stuff on the Internet!