Editorial: Apple's iOS 7 needs exclusive, distinctive features, not just a flat UI

Comments

• Reply 21 of 257
    shevshev Posts: 84member
    Totally agree, a massive overhaul isn't needed but a more thorough feature set is. Things like the most basic apps that came with iOS 1.0 are still barely changed. The photo app is the most ridiculous application on there ffs, manually hitting each photo to move them, delete them, absolutely shocking 6 years on.

The settings could do with a bit more customisation in each section. Simple things like hiding apps that you don't use. Just really basic things that rub people up the wrong way for wanting a tiny ounce of control over their phone's look and handling.
  • Reply 22 of 257
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by AdrianoLaur 

Who know, will be the same Flat UI how is here

Neither, since flat is the wrong decision.

Originally Posted by N8TERSWORLD

Has Apple finally run out of company's to sue and they're now looking for a Plan B?

Shut up and go away.

• Reply 23 of 257
    soulbarnsoulbarn Posts: 10member
    Spot on. I have been playing with Samsung's Galaxy Note 2 and 8. These are inferior products hardware-wise, but in many ways superior computing platforms. Samsung/Android does more - though (lucky for Apple) it generally does more poorly. That will change, though. I want to see much more interoperability between IOS apps, more customization, and a better, more accessible file system. I want and expect IOS 7 to do more, well, and to do more than look different.
  • Reply 24 of 257
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    shev wrote: »
    Totally agree, a massive overhaul isn't needed but a more thorough feature set is. Things like the most basic apps that came with iOS 1.0 are still barely changed. The photo app is the most ridiculous application on there ffs, manually hitting each photo to move them, delete them, absolutely shocking 6 years on.

The settings could do with a bit more customisation in each section. Simple things like hiding apps that you don't use. Just really basic things that rub people up the wrong way for wanting a tiny ounce of control over their phone's look and handling.

Agree...

Multiuser support on the iPad and at a minimum a guest user on iPhone and older iPads.

Ability to hide any app in guest or non-admin account

Contacts parity with OS X

Some not too battery impacting at a glance items on he locked page.

Lose the leather looks.

Text search in Safari (or have I just not found it?)
  • Reply 25 of 257
    rickwil61rickwil61 Posts: 39member
    If the worst the critics can come up with is that IOS is "boring" then that tells me it is doing it's job. That's not to say that improvements can't be made but "boring" sounds to me like a criticism from someone who wishes there were worse things to say. One of the philosophies behind Apple has been "where technology meets the arts". The interface that Apple designed was to put a more human face on the technology. I have a lot of respect for Jony Ives and if he feels that he can improve IOS then I'm all for letting him do it. But I hope he doesn't succumb the criticism of nerd critics that want IOS to be another version of Android.
  • Reply 26 of 257
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    sflocal wrote: »
    iOS being "stale" is just those ADHD-afflicted tech-heads
    I'm not sure. I'd call them "tech-heads" as anybody with a grasp of technology would realize just how significantly iOS has improved with each release. Ask any developer writing those money making app what they think.
    and whiners that need a visual-change every 10 minutes.  Nothing can keep their interest or attention for any decent amount of time.
    This is a problem of our time, we have people with no substance to their life that try to get affirmation from the web.

iOS is efficient, stable, and polished, and gets the job done.  Apple will tweak, address, and resolve issues like they're always good at doing.  I'm happy with the progress they have made, and trust that they will (usually) do the right thing when that time arrives.
    I have no problem with the operating system and the APIs. I do have a problem with the apps though. As much as possible we need feature parity with the equivalent Mac OS apps. File parity too, especially for iWork.

These vocal boredom-folks can go to Android and tweak to their hearts' content.  

I never understood the desire to tweak a cell phone excessively. From my perspective it is a phone first and a digital communications device second. Those features have to work all the time reliably.
  • Reply 27 of 257
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    christophb wrote: »
    Agree...

Multiuser support on the iPad and at a minimum a guest user on iPhone and older iPads.
    I have no need for this at all and would see it as a step backwards.
    Ability to hide any app in guest or non-admin account
    Why?
    Contacts parity with OS X
    This I agree with %110! ????????. However feature parity needs to spread out to most of the apps that Apple supplies.
    Some not too battery impacting at a glance items on he locked page.

Lose the leather looks.

Text search in Safari (or have I just not found it?)
    Safari needs lots of work. It is also the app that I use the most that needs lots of RAM that even iPad can't supply properly. Part of the RAM crunch comes from frozen apps still using memory, still a jump to 2GB of RAM would do wonders. In a nut shel any thing they do to improve Safari would be welcomed.
  • Reply 28 of 257
    don108don108 Posts: 79member
    What is desperately needed is an update to iWork. With it the major applications from MS Office--Word, Powerpoint, and Excel--can be completely ignored. There would be no need for the pundits to whine, "Where's Office?" if there is a superior application suite that works on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
  • Reply 29 of 257
    Actually, the things the pundits decry as boring are the very reasons I am now, and have been, using Apple for a lot of things for the last 10 years. I have to admit I am in the market to replace my four year old iPhone 3gs this year but I generally buy for long term use and not to always have the next great thing. I much prefer the under the hood improvements to all the gimmicks and flash coming from the competition.

What it boils down to is deciding between your wants and your needs. The two are rarely the same thing and if you buy the best phone based on your needs you won't fall into the constantly upgrading trap. your wallet will be fatter and chances are you will be happier. :-)
  • Reply 30 of 257
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

i agree that iOS 7 needs a "great new feature," like Siri was for iOS 6. Apple really does need to introduce at least one really useful new user capability each year to stay "the best." i don't mean kitchen sink bells and whistles like all the new useless stuff in the latest Samsung phones. i mean things that we consumers - not techies - find really helpful. 

my wish item is a universal fingerprint-based password API. so every app could use a fingerprint reader in the home button (i assume) instead of conventional text. god i hate passwords. that would be a huge popular hit. of course the rest of the droid mob would copy it ASAP, but Apple would be pushing the technology.

and for games, a standardized set of API's for add-on control accessories would really launch the iPod Mini and the iPad as THE hand held game controller.

otherwise, there are certainly a dozen important evolutionary improvements possible - iCloud file handling obviously - and many more detail enhancements throughout iOS.

• Reply 31 of 257
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    wizard69 wrote: »

In what way?
    Why?

So you can protect people from accessing certain apps. For example, email. I don't mind letting others use my iPad when I'm not but I really don't want them getting access to my mail and other app. This includes app settings. For example, a parent might want to hide their bookmarks, browsing history, iCloud Tabs, and Reading List from their children.
  • Reply 32 of 257
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    tao jones wrote: »
    they are talking about loosing the fake leather from the address book and calendar the rest of the interface is flat enough trust mr Ives to do something elegant and simple as far as those comparrisons go if apple had not designed the i-phone interface first the rest would be figguring out how to add a 3rd hinge to the ripped off razor phone design
    Lose, not loose

Ive, not Ives

Razr, not Razor

Sigh ....
  • Reply 33 of 257
    don108 wrote: »
    What is desperately needed is an update to iWork. With it the major applications from MS Office--Word, Powerpoint, and Excel--can be completely ignored. There would be no need for the pundits to whine, "Where's Office?" if there is a superior application suite that works on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Keynote is competitive with PPT.
  • Reply 34 of 257
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Lose, not loose

Ive, not Ives

Razr, not Razor

Sigh ....

400 ... not sigh? :D
  • Reply 35 of 257
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Why?

Examples:

Shared family iPad

Shared home iPad, like the unit I have on the coffee table used for HT, environmentals and visitors doing their own browsing.

Handling an iDevice to someone to browse, phone, view movie, listen to iPod or radio app, YouTube etc.

Special needs child. I have friends with autistic children and jail breaking doesn't make for a stable or average adult supportable platform.

Educational use controls.

User independent parental controls.

Frankly I see these things as necessary to further progress the post-PC world.
  • Reply 36 of 257
    sflocal wrote: »
    iOS being "stale" is just those ADHD-afflicted tech-heads and whiners that need a visual-change every 10 minutes.  Nothing can keep their interest or attention for any decent amount of time.

iOS is efficient, stable, and polished, and gets the job done.  Apple will tweak, address, and resolve issues like they're always good at doing.  I'm happy with the progress they have made, and trust that they will (usually) do the right thing when that time arrives.

These vocal boredom-folks can go to Android and tweak to their hearts' content.  
    So, as long as you're content, other opinions are shit?
  • Reply 37 of 257
    solipsismx wrote: »
    400 ... not sigh? :D
    Man, you're on a roll the last two days. Life's good? Getting some? ;)
  • Reply 38 of 257
    So, as long as you're content, other opinions are shit?

I didn't take his comments as going that far. More like change for the sake of change isn't a good enough reason. And stake and bored without more detailed examples are just bitching.
  • Reply 39 of 257
    Why do so many people leap from "I don't need/like change" to "improvement is not necessary". What kind of self-centered ignorance is that? Are you so short-sighted that you can't think beyond your limited works?
  • Reply 40 of 257
    christophb wrote: »

I didn't take his comments as going that far. More like change for the sake of change isn't a good enough reason. And stake and bored without more detailed examples are just bitching.
    But anyone with half an eye kept on the pulse of technology knows that every popular OS never stands still. Any opinion resisting change is meaningless.