Apple's fifth-gen iPad rumored to debut after 'iPhone 5S,' feature rear mic

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The next full-size iPad from Apple will launch toward the end of 2013, after Apple's next iPhone, and the new tablet will gain a rear-facing microphone much like the iPhone 5, a new report claims.

The details were published on Thursday by Japanese blog Macotakara, which indicated that the fifth-generation iPad is expected to ship after Apple's anticipated "iPhone 5S." Reports have pegged Apple's next iPhone for launch around September, which would be around a year after the iPhone 5 went on sale.

iPad

According to author Danbo's sources, the next 9.7-inch iPad will gain a rear microphone next to the camera, much like Apple added to the iPhone 5 in 2012. The report noted that prototypes of the iPad mini also included rear microphones, but were not included in the final shipping product introduced last October.

While Apple apparently opted to remove the rear mic from the iPad mini in late stages of development, thus far it appears the microphone will remain on the next 9.7-inch iPad.

Earlier reports have claimed that Apple's fifth-generation iPad will adopt many of the same design elements Apple adopted with the iPad mini, including a thinner bezel around the screen and more rounded edges. Those changes are expected to make the device 25 percent lighter and 15 percent thinner than its predecessor.

Among the internal changes expected is a "GF2" touch panel, which would make the touchscreen component of the iPad thinner. And improved power efficiency could also allow Apple to reduce the size of the iPad's internal battery, which currently accounts for most of the device's weight.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Wow, a rear microphone? That's certainly worth waiting another half a year for.

I think they need to iterate the product faster, the mini already feels old and underpowered to me. It's not like Apple's iPad mini covers last longer than a few months anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Because that is obviously the only thing that is going to change. Overreact to obscure rumors much?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think they need to iterate the product faster, the mini already feels old and underpowered to me. It's not like Apple's iPad mini covers last longer than a few months anyway.

Old and underpowered? Is there a faster 7 to 8 inch tablet available? (UI and GPU). I guess not.

What do you have? the tegra 3 joke called nexus and Samsung plastic shitbags.

• Reply 4 of 20

first: The Ipad is the joke. Pathetic device not worth half the price.

second: If you cant find a better/faster tablet your doing it wrong.

third: making intelligent comments on a obviously iF*g cult saturated site feels like a sin.

forth: I did make this account just so I could call U an IF*g, so any response will never be read, cheers!

• Reply 5 of 20
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    first: The Ipad is the joke. Pathetic device not worth half the price.
    The price might not be ideal but there is nothing better for the price. Further the cheaper devices don't even come close to the iPad in overall utility and performance.
    second: If you cant find a better/faster tablet your doing it wrong.
    List them for us!
    third: making intelligent comments on a obviously iF*g cult saturated site feels like a sin.
    Maybe but this post doesn't demonstrate any sort of intelligence does it?
    forth: I did make this account just so I could call U an IF*g, so any response will never be read, cheers!
    So what you are saying is that this comment has no substance and isn't defensible by you!
  • Reply 6 of 20
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Earlier reports have claimed that Apple's fifth-generation iPad will adopt many of the same design elements Apple adopted with the iPad mini, including a thinner bezel around the screen and more rounded edges.

A thinner bezel for the regular-sized iPad seems like a bad idea.  And I doubt that's what Apple has in mind.

The iPad mini can get away with it because it is meant to be held in the palm of one hand.  But a full-size iPad needs the wider bezel so your thumb can have a firm hold.

• Reply 7 of 20
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

No, they don't need to iterate faster. What is it, from a hardware perspective, that the iPad can't do? The A6X flies through everything. Having the product updated too often creates a lack of consumer confidence when buying the product, and dilutes the value. As for the mini, that product still has no real competition. 

• Reply 8 of 20
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The price might not be ideal but there is nothing better for the price. Further the cheaper devices don't even come close to the iPad in overall utility and performance.

List them for us!

So what you are saying is that this comment has no substance and isn't defensible by you!

Did you really feel the need to put effort into a response? Really?

• Reply 9 of 20
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

Some people obviously have no life...

Having skipped the iPad 4 I hope the iPad 5 will be a good replacement for my iPad 3. 

Smaller volume, less weight, longer battery life, and less warming up will be welcomed.

Much more CPU and GPU power will be expected image

• Reply 10 of 20
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    So what you are saying...

I reported that post as trolling and it looks like the mods came through and took care of it.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    List them for us!

Please don't respond to obvious bait posts from imaginative people using names that include numbers such as 1234.

The mods did a great job in getting rid of that rubbish but you've still given him his fifteen seconds of fame.

;)
  • Reply 12 of 20
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

third: making intelligent comments ...

Quote:

forth:

Nope. None whatsoever.

• Reply 13 of 20
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by smalM View Post

Having skipped the iPad 4 I hope the iPad 5 will be a good replacement for my iPad 3. 

Smaller volume, less weight, longer battery life, and less warming up will be welcomed.

You should have stuck with the iPad 2 then.

• Reply 14 of 20
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

A thinner bezel for the regular-sized iPad seems like a bad idea.  And I doubt that's what Apple has in mind.

The iPad mini can get away with it because it is meant to be held in the palm of one hand.  But a full-size iPad needs the wider bezel so your thumb can have a firm hold.

In this iteration the iPad will definitely undergo a significant formfactor change.

Given that weight and more compact formfactor are the primary reasons (aside from cost) that users opt for the iPad mini instead of a regular iPad it makes sense for Apple focus on these aspects.

Since two backlights are no longer needed to illuminate the retina screen they can reduce thickness. Since less battery is required to power this display technology they can reduce volume. The software on the mini that identifies and excludes unintentional touch inputs has been well received I can't see them not using it in the larger iPad, especially if it allows them to reduce the bezels for a direct benefit in areas like weight, footprint and cost of raw materials.

They will make these changes because they are possible, they benefit the majority and they push the design into areas other manufacturers simply don't have the engineering precision to match without making unacceptable compromises on battery life, display technology and/or durability. Moving forward I'd expect Apple's investment in custom, low-power silicon will start paying off in a huge way.

• Reply 15 of 20
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

You should have stuck with the iPad 2 then.

IMO the increased weight of the iPad 3 was a small trade-off for gaining a retina display.

The iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPad 5 (as rumoured) all represent meaningful evolutions in the design. It my opinion the iPad 1 was underpowered and bulky and the iPad 4 was a half-hearted attempt to standardise around the lightening connector.

• Reply 16 of 20
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    dunks wrote: »
    IMO the increased weight of the iPad 3 was a small trade-off for gaining a retina display.

The iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPad 5 (as rumoured) all represent meaningful evolutions in the design. It my opinion the <span style="line-height:1.231;">iPad 1 was underpowered and bulky and the iPad 4 was a half-hearted attempt to standardise around the lightening connector.</span>
    I'm sure his comment was tongue in cheek. I thought it was funny- and technically true.

The 4 wasn't simply a lightning upgrade- the front facing camera, rear camera (both of which i don't care too much about) were also upgraded. Also dual band wifi (and 4g which is extremely significant if you get that model). More importantly- the faster processor made a substantial difference (I had the 3 and now have a 4). While its not an iphone 4 to iphone 5 upgrade- it wasn't just a placeholder before the new body design, it was still a solid upgrade. I mean- could you imagine them still selling the A5X with 3G as their flagship iPad today? Yikes.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Double post
  • Reply 18 of 20

The overall game is aware of no limitations because gamers in the furthermost point of planet earth arrived at through internet may have fun playing the online game.

http://www.arm2teeth.com

• Reply 19 of 20
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

The software on the mini that identifies and excludes unintentional touch inputs has been well received I can't see them not using it in the larger iPad, especially if it allows them to reduce the bezels for a direct benefit in areas like weight, footprint and cost of raw materials.

I wasn't aware that the iPad mini has this feature.  Thanks for informing me!  With that in mind, I can see the likelihood of Apple making the bezel smaller for the reasons you mentioned.

By the way, I googled a few articles about this new tech, and couldn't help but chuckle when I read the words "unwanted touches".  image

• Reply 20 of 20
    Huh?

Does not the 4th gen iPad already have a rear mic? So how can the 5th gen iPad "gain" one? Maybe it is moving from center back to near the camera? Or are you just comparing it to the iPad mini?