Editorial: Apple's iOS 7 needs exclusive, distinctive features, not just a flat UI

Comments

• Reply 81 of 257
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

iOS does NEED some new features. It doesn't need gimmicks.

iOS is pretty gimmick free, as far as I can tell. Touchwiz, on the other hand..

• Reply 82 of 257
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    christophb wrote: »
    Agree...

Multiuser support on the iPad and at a minimum a guest user on iPhone and older iPads.

Ability to hide any app in guest or non-admin account

Contacts parity with OS X

Some not too battery impacting at a glance items on he locked page.

Lose the leather looks.

Text search in Safari (or have I just not found it?)

Safari has text search. If you enter the search text in the search window you will find the page his in the bottom of the popup list.
  • Reply 83 of 257
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member
    Agree...

Multiuser support on the iPad and at a minimum a guest user on iPhone and older iPads.

Ability to hide any app in guest or non-admin account

Contacts parity with OS X

Some not too battery impacting at a glance items on he locked page.

Lose the leather looks.

Text search in Safari (or have I just not found it?)
    What Safari is really missing for me - plugins. For instance I use LastPass a lot. Another issue to fix is tab refresh.
  • Reply 84 of 257
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    File this under No Sh*t. I'm pretty sure iOS 7 will follow every other major release with at least 200+ new features. Did anyone actually think the supposed new interface design was the only new feature?

On the other hand, you can also file this under Doing It Wrong, because feature mimicking just for the sake of "me too" has not and never will serve Apple or its users. In fact, I'd say the reason we don't have such great and obvious ideas as Contacts data detectors and smarter copy paste is that Apple has been pandering a bit too much to the "me too" crowd. See also: Notification Center.
  • Reply 85 of 257

That might be what they have said, but it's not what they have done. Mac OS has seen numerous changes that are not improvements. The best iPod Nano is either the first or the second generation design. Let's not forget FC10.

Ugh. FCPX is just fine after a few point updates. Please. The only people who can't handle X are old guys too set in their ways to try new things. For them there's Avid and Premiere.
  • Reply 86 of 257
    geojohn wrote: »
    The phone is fine.

The real problem is OSX, the elephant in the room is the separation of the menu bar from the window. Commands are all over the place, in menus and across the top of windows. It makes it difficult for programmers to write cross-platform software, and screen sharing is a joke. Windows got this right.

Why doesn't any reviewer tackle this issue? Instead we get long-winded discussion of side issues.

And a credible upgrade of functionality in iWork would be great, never mind facebook integration, the cloud, notifications and other useless idiocy. And the on-going removal of functionality and customising options from the OS is objectionable. 
    Yes screen sharing is a joke. But what the heck are you talking about with the menus? Reviewers don't talk about it because it's a non-issue. The elephant in the room is Windows, talk about menus all over the place. You're just used to it and the menu/button redundancy in OS X is confusing for you. But for
    Mac users they have very real and practical use. Buttons in the windows are graphical shortcuts, and the complex stuff resides in menus at the top of the screen, where they always are, rather than every window having its own Menu Bar. If you think about it, that's just a waste of space. And clutter.
  • Reply 87 of 257
    jay-tjay-t Posts: 39member
    When Apple first introduced the iPhone in 2007, Steve Jobs said, that the software was five years ahead of the competition. He was right. That's how long it took Google to really catch up.

Now, we are in the sixth year and Google is again trying to see what Apple is going to do so they can ripp it off, again. Or how are you explaining the fact, that Google held a developer conference without introducing any new software?!

I think, that the new OS will be much more than just a new look...
  • Reply 88 of 257
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple already uses colors to denote function, coding information apps (like Safari, Mail and iWork apps) in blue, telephony and messaging apps in green and utilitarian apps like Settings in grey, a practice that originated on the Mac OS. At WWDC, this concept may be carried ahead even further.

What? Let's go through this for a second. How is iWork and "information app" like Safari and Mail? I could see iWork and mail grouped as "content creation" apps or Mail and safari being grouped together as "core internet" apps, but not iWork and Safari. Also, the apple apps on my phone are color coded as follows:

Blue: Safari, Mail, Photos, Weather, Stocks, Voice Memos, App Store

Green: Messages, Phone

Grey: Settings, Camera!, Remote!, Find iPhone!

Purple: iTunes, Podcasts 

Orange: Music

Black: Clock, Reminders

Brown: Calculator, Notes, Compass

Wood Grain: Newsstand, iTunes U

Awful Mess: Game Center

Can anybody honestly see any correlation between color and function here? I mean using color to denote function is a great/obvious idea, but i don't really think Apple has ever actually done so, unless there is some sort of connection that is way over my head between Safari, Voice Memos and the App Store or Settings, Camera and Find iPhone...

• Reply 89 of 257
    I have a kindle, in some ways prefer it for reading ebooks as the backing is warm plastic, quite like that.

But if feels terribly restrictive as a device, its not obvious how to do certain things Amazon doesn't want you to do, like download a Gutenberg.org ebook and load it into the Kindle app. Also the apps available on the Amazon store are very restricted.

I'm used to iPads (I have about 6 around the place), also have a Nexus 6, so I can make comparisons from a base of knowledge. I also have a variety of phones and again the advantage of the simple consistent interface across all the devices on iOS is a huge boon to me as a user.

On the Android devices, from a variety of manufacturers I need to learn the differences in UX ever other time I pick up a device.

This is why I think its wrong to compare sales stats of iPads vs. all other Tablets as each manufacturer of Android tablets creates a completely different product that run different apps with a different experience for each user.
  • Reply 90 of 257
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

That's your opinion. For me, OSX 10.8 is by far the best version yet, from a stability, speed, and features perspective. 

You're arguing a point that is separate from mine.

• Reply 91 of 257
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay-t View Post

When Apple first introduced the iPhone in 2007, Steve Jobs said, that the software was five years ahead of the competition. He was right. That's how long it took Google to really catch up.

Now, we are in the sixth year and Google is again trying to see what Apple is going to do so they can ripp it off, again. Or how are you explaining the fact, that Google held a developer conference without introducing any new software?!

I think, that the new OS will be much more than just a new look...

I think you probably meant to say Google didn't introduce any new hardware as they often do, which disappointed some folks. All they announced was a lot of new software, features and applications.

• Reply 92 of 257
    Counternotions cover this subject a few months ago. It's a really good read with more brevity.
    http://counternotions.com/2012/11/05/sirjony/
  • Reply 93 of 257
    lemon bon bon.lemon bon bon. Posts: 2,173member
    "The entire NeXT Services that are part of OS X and iOS but not remotely as well extended and exposed as it is in NeXTSTEP/Openstep should be available in iOS 7 and OS X 10.9.

Within DropBox on either platform should be a much richer and deeper public api that allows for a much richer experience of services. On iOS it has to be as unobtrusive as possible. In OS X it must be much more clearly exposed and leveraged across OS X and Apple must show within its own app suites how they are leveraging it to its fullest.

Obviously, the Kernel will be different in both. The print system will be more robust. The networking system will be more secure, robust and extended to cover more standards. The Graphics Core will be a big jump. The Compiler Tools will have a huge jump after the first week of June.

The encryptions standards will be expanded. The Filesystem support will have its usual improvements to more file systems and possibly new updates to HFS that should be replaced by the time OS XI arrives.

OpenGL4.x/OpenCL1.2 (OpenCL 2.0 being published this August by the working body housed at Khronos.org, along with OpenGL 5.0).

There is a lot of change coming. Apple needs to show how it not only is making the foundation robust but develop a best practices tier even more visible than it already does for people to best leverage it. All the Cocoa Frameworks will be updated."

Enjoyed this post. Instead of saying 'iOS' needs 'something' you've actually said 'what.'

Good man.

Lemon Bon Bon. ;)
  • Reply 94 of 257
    jonshfjonshf Posts: 90member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunabku View Post

Here here. iOS needs deep down changes. The best thing they could do is develop killer APIs and then showcase them in their core apps. They could create new APIs for inter-application communication and then demonstrate them by consolidating messaging, email, etc per contact - as mentioned in this article. They could also finally provide a SIRI api, BOOST its performance and then integrate it more tightly in more apps. Developers of course would lap this stuff up.

Agreed. One of the most useful features I've seen that exists on Android (for the area of the world that I live in) is an app that changes the way the phone functions. When a phone number calls that isn't in your contacts, the app will look up the number on the net and display who it is. Someone said that this was easy in Android because the app just takes over some core functionality and does what it needs to do. For security reasons Apple would not allow this but it could offer API's that an app could hook into.

• Reply 95 of 257
    lemon bon bon.lemon bon bon. Posts: 2,173member

There was a time when Apple's mobile apps were revolutionary at the time when iPhone was revolutionary.

But of course developers who are dedicated to 'one' app can make it far better.

But the days of Apple going back to 'little or no' software and 'depending' on M$, Google or Adobe to screw them over are GONE!  

Apple only needs to keep pace not to run the developers out of town.

But I'm sure the api, user interface and basic app suite for mobile and mac os X will be given work.

The grass grows under one's feet.  You have to mow it down from time to time...

140 billion in the bank?  Instead of giving big chunks to shareholders, use some of that to keep their basic software and their prosumer software on the 'edge?'

Software sells hardware?

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 96 of 257
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member

There's a difference between "flat" and "flatter".  I think it will be "flatter". 

I don't much care what the calendar looks like, as long as the default lower-right button on a Calendar event info sheet isn't "Delete".  

Skeuomorphism has a role in reminding you what app you're looking at.  I'm not interested in the logical extreme of "flat" which is "terminal.app". 

I'd take an iOS junk filter over any layout change.  

I'd take integrated OCR (even if it has to be distributed) 

And please return the Weather, Calculator, Voice Memo, Stocks etc. apps to the iPads.  

• Reply 97 of 257
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    sflocal wrote: »
    iOS being "stale" is just those ADHD-afflicted tech-heads and whiners that need a visual-change every 10 minutes.  Nothing can keep their interest or attention for any decent amount of time.

iOS is efficient, stable, and polished, and gets the job done.  Apple will tweak, address, and resolve issues like they're always good at doing.  I'm happy with the progress they have made, and trust that they will (usually) do the right thing when that time arrives.

These vocal boredom-folks can go to Android and tweak to their hearts' content.  
    So, as long as you're content, other opinions are shit?

Yes, on this particular issue.
  • Reply 98 of 257
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Examples:

Shared family iPad

Shared home iPad, like the unit I have on the coffee table used for HT, environmentals and visitors doing their own browsing.

Handling an iDevice to someone to browse, phone, view movie, listen to iPod or radio app, YouTube etc.

Special needs child. I have friends with autistic children and jail breaking doesn't make for a stable or average adult supportable platform.

Educational use controls.

User independent parental controls.

Frankly I see these things as necessary to further progress the post-PC world.

I agree, a guest mode and a children's mode similar to what's available on the Kindle Fire is great:

Endless nests of app tiles is a HORRID way to organize things, the lock screen is one dimensional in functionality, the settings panels are endless nests of menus that have become progressively harder to use, and so much more is wrong with the UI. The hardware design has long since eclipsed the UI and the overall experience is stale and less useful than it should be.

Agreed completely.
  • Reply 99 of 257
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Least of which because Microsoft already did it and Google stole it from them. Though that's an important point. Microsoft reduced their OS to elementary shapes and primary colors. That's not necessarily bad, but it in their case it is.

Microsoft's model is to make something and force people to learn how to use it. By forcing people to do it the way they're told by Microsoft, they can be locked into the ecosystem. "Well, I've already spent ten hours figuring out twelve functions of this software; I may as well keep using it to get my 'money's worth' for my time, even if there is something better." That's why drastic UI changes are casually thrown around at Microsoft (Metro, Ribbon, the way Control Panel changes in every single release, etc.): they just couldn't care less about you and what is best for you. They want you to do it their way, which renders you incompatible with their competitors. Adobe does the same thing, except they do it within their own suite of applications, which is even more pathetic and embarrassing.

Apple doesn't do that. Apple does the polar opposite. Apple's model is to make something that operates in a way that everyone already understands. Apple wants people to pick up their products and instantly know how to use them. Jony has said that, if not word for word, in one of their product intro videos. Probably not word for word, but still. That's the reason for the skeuomorphism in the first place, and that's the reason it should NOT go away. Yes, it's overplayed. Slightly. But look: The point of the design of the hardware is to be as unobtrusive as possible. You shouldn't even notice the hardware as you use the software. That's why what Jony does is so difficult; it's easy to put a bunch of buttons and what have you directly on the product, but then you've stuck the user with the broad scope of "this button does that and only that" which comes from older, stupider appliances. You don't, for example, expect your blender's liquify button to do something different when you're after pineapple instead of mango. When the hardware is so simple, so seamless that it just becomes the window to the world that is software, then that world can be populated richly. Back to skeuomorphism. To make something that everyone already understands, you'd want to make it, well, look like something you already understand. Notes being a legal pad makes perfect sense, for example. Calendar looking like a desk calendar makes perfect sense. Where skeuomorphism can overstep its bounds is when the design itself detracts (or distracts) from the utility*. For example, the color and type of leather chosen in Calendar is wrong. Objectively. "But you can't…" Come on, it's just wrong. Take a gander at a physical desk calendar and you'll see that it has neither puffy nor yellow-taupe leather on top. It'll be a leather, sure. But it would be a deep maroon, it would be flat (like a rectangular prism), and it probably wouldn't even have a visible seam on it, much less one so large. That's where Calendar goes wrong: not that it mirrors a desk calendar, but the way in which it does so. Find My Friends also fails skeuomorphically. But not for the same reason. Find My Friends fails not because of the color and type of leather chosen, but because there is no physical analogue to its utility. The skeuomorphism there confuses the mind, both consciously and subconsciously, and distracts us from its use. In seeing it, both on its own and within the context of the entire OS, we are compelled to connect the dots between its UI and something we may have seen in life before. We get confused, then, because not only is there no physical analogue to Find My Friends, if we do manage to connect it to something, that something is wrong, and then we don't use the app as is intended, because we expect it to be something it never was. This is all really subtle stuff, but it's happening.

I shouldn't have to say this, but I'm worried enough that I feel compelled to: I hope Jonathan Ive still recognizes the extension of the role his hardware plays in this system and that the design of the software should not be handled in the same fashion as he does hardware. The hardware is sparse so the software can be rich

*But, given that his greatness comes from making hardware whose design neither distracts nor detracts from its utility, I have confidence that Jonathan Ive, despite the media pathetically up-playing his "scorn" of skeuomorphism in that split second interview, in redesigning iOS (if at all) could make something beautiful, powerful, and simple, without removing the skeuomorphism that makes all Apple products the leaders they are.

Sorry about the wall. I hope I'm on the mark for most of it.

TS I couldn't agree more. Thanks for posting this.

• Reply 100 of 257
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    newbee wrote: »
    TS I couldn't agree more. Thanks for posting this.

Second that. An essay from TS! He can still do it!

(I guess he means ""wall" of text. I say good walls make good readers.)