Editorial: Apple's iOS 7 needs exclusive, distinctive features, not just a flat UI

Comments

• Reply 161 of 257
    jay-tjay-t Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I think you probably meant to say Google didn't introduce any new hardware as they often do, which disappointed some folks. All they announced was a lot of new software, features and applications.

Yeah, new software like Hangouts, Maps etc. But a new version of the OS? Not so much! And that's what I am talking about!
  • Reply 162 of 257
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No longer asking rhetorically, what in the world is your problem?

You going to answer why it makes sense to not allow options for photos from the lock screen with no pass code?

Now I'm confused - are you saying that you think it should be possible to send photos without authenticating?

• Reply 163 of 257
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You going to answer why it makes sense to not allow options for photos from the lock screen with no pass code?

Yeah. Because then the thief can't get into your device and send a bunch of messages to everyone you know.

• Reply 164 of 257

Quote:

Yeah. Because then the thief can't get into your device and send a bunch of messages to everyone you know.

What I think the argument originally ment. Was that if you had no pass code on your device set up what so ever. And you went from the lock screen into the camera. Assuming you had no passcode setup on your device what so ever. When taking a photo and going back to it. You have no option to share it via message or anything.

That's the issue.

• Reply 165 of 257

Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

What I think the argument originally ment. Was that if you had no pass code on your device set up what so ever.

Oh, I see. Sorry, Ireland.

I think I get why Apple did it this way, but you're right; capabilities should be based on whether a password is set.

• Reply 166 of 257
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    1. Apple is not doing anything.
    2. Stop making decisions based on doing zero reading on your part, and on zero actual fact.
    Well Apple is obviously doing something. Whether that something resembles Windows 8 in any way is remains to be seen.
  • Reply 167 of 257
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Oh, I see. Sorry, Ireland.

I think I get why Apple did it this way, but you're right; capabilities should be based on whether a password is set.

Thanks for correcting yourself. Apology accepted.

• Reply 168 of 257
    tikimantikiman Posts: 68member

Editorial: AppleInsider should stop wasting time posting such pointless drivel

"apples-ios-7-needs-exclusive-distinctive-features-not-just-a-flat" 

No shit, Sherlock.

What moron would ever believe that Apple would release a UI-only OS update?

If you want to write an editorial about what you think Apple should be putting in the next OS, go ahead, but spare us the Captain-Obvious-Filler, okay?

• Reply 169 of 257
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    tikiman wrote: »

No shit, Sherlock.

The same morons who believe Apple would releases black and white only OS.
  • Reply 170 of 257
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecs View Post

If the competitor is Android, iOS doesn't need anything special to beat it, because Android is made by removing from Linux its best strengths, and replacing them with non-consistent and unstable concepts from the Windows world. Add Java to it, unreasonable apps permissions to user private data, and you end up with a system iOS beats in every release.

So, iOS doesn't need anything special *if* (and note the *if*) the competitor is Android.

But if some vendor manages to ship a touch-Linux with all the UNIX strengths and features, then, yes, iOS will have a problem. But in the meantime you can be confident you can beat Android even with a Windows-3.1 based system.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "removing from Linux its best strengths", and "UNIX strengths and features"? Security is often cited as a strength of Linux distros, but Android ought to be stronger by design. In addition to inheriting standard Linux kernel protections such as ASLR, Android sandboxes programs using posix access controls by making each app run with its own UID. Whatever malware that exists for Android is mostly a consequence of how the ecosystem is managed, rather than the design of the OS. If OS X, Ubuntu, or Windows had a similar software ecosystem where everyone was publishing apps that claim to do this or that, and non-technical users were installing apps left and right, then that platform would probably have at least as much malware as Android has now.

• Reply 171 of 257
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay-t View Post

Yeah, new software like Hangouts, Maps etc. But a new version of the OS? Not so much! And that's what I am talking about!

Then your comments completely confuse me. How is Google not announcing a new version of Android at I/O connected with the upcoming Apple iOS update? Android releases haven't been on any particular schedule. 3.0 Honeycomb was released in February 2011. 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich, was released in Oct. 2011.  Neither was at an I/O conference. 4.0. Jellybean on the other hand was announced at an I/O conference. So what's the common connection then if there is one? They were all announced alongside new hardware, which didn't appear at this year's conference. The day or month hasn't been the determining factor but instead new OS version releases have been reliant on new hardware being ready. It was the no-show for new hardware that was the surprise. Without new hardware a new OS release would have been highly unusual.

Google hasn't been scheduling their other software updates after Apple's latest is released so I don't understand how you rationalized the connection you've formed between the two. Had you instead been talking about lack of knowledge about the newly designed iPhone hardware being the holdup I can see where you might have had an argument. Software-wise I don't see it. The two OS's have been taking their own paths for some time.

• Reply 172 of 257
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    I also think that Apple needs to stop clipping the new features for older phones. Is there a reason my iPhone 4 didn't get the panorama option in the camera app with iOS 6? This is only slightly better than getting no OS updates at all. With constant OS upgrades, my phone is only slightly better off from the day I purchased it, but it's gotten much slower in the process.
  • Reply 173 of 257

I'm thinking that the "simplicty" of iOS 7 will cause for less space to be used for the OS, making what ever device your using some what faster. 

• Reply 174 of 257

Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

I also think that Apple needs to stop clipping the new features for older phones.

They'd rather put out 3x 100% good than 10x 50% good.

Is there a reason my iPhone 4 didn't get the panorama option in the camera app with iOS 6? 

User experience, pure and simple.

This is only slightly better than getting no OS updates at all. 

The Apple community isn't the only one that whines about actually receiving updates, but they're the only one that whine about receiving good updates.

With constant OS upgrades, my phone is only slightly better off from the day I purchased it, but it's gotten much slower in the process.

See? You're complaining. And you'd complain that much more about the "slow panoramas" if you had been given them. You'd whine that "it would have been better to leave it out and make my phone faster".

• Reply 175 of 257
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member

Quote:

They'd rather put out 3x 100% good than 10x 50% good.

User experience, pure and simple.

The Apple community isn't the only one that whines about actually receiving updates, but they're the only one that whine about receiving good updates.

See? You're complaining. And you'd complain that much more about the "slow panoramas" if you had been given them. You'd whine that "it would have been better to leave it out and make my phone faster".

Let's be realistic, Apple sell hardware, there a hardware company. They don't put new features on old phones because they want you to buy a new phone. And they don't overly care that your phone is getting slower because its a reason for you to get a new one. I wouldn't go as far as to say there making your phone slower deliberately, but I doubt there trying to optimise everything to the max to get a 3 year old phone to run fast.

Some people won't like this fact, and that's because you know a phone is basically like a computer, and you can keep a computer for 5 - 10 years before you need to buy a new one. But Apple aren't a software company, and people don't like paying for software. So its much better to sell your software updates as new hardware.

• Reply 176 of 257
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You could say the same about Xbox or Kindle or iPod. But strangely, no one complains about Xbox and Kindle or iPod not having file systems are "true multitasking" or whatever else you think is missing to turn it into a full fledged computer. I want to know why. You people get what the Xbox is all about: a dedicated, focused machine for doing certain tasks very well. It's not intended to be a general purpose computer. It's locked down, an appliance. You never see or manage a file system, and gamers are PERFECTLY HAPPY with that.

But you bring up iOS and suddenly every geek out there knows exactly what is "missing" from iOS: all the features that make it exactly like Mac OS X. Well GUESS WHAT? It's your LUCKY DAY... Turns out, Apple sells a machine that can run Mac OS X.

Leaving aside the new Xbox having multitasking, the complaint of Xbox is worse than not having a file system. To me its inconsistency on how you play music as it seems to have 3 official yet completely separate music apps!

In comparison with ios though, it doesn't have a apps other than music and streaming videos so there's no need for a file system as there's nothing to share between apps.

I'm not actually 100% sure if the issues are apples fault for not providing access to the file system and multitasking or the app developers for not using the features they have. For instance I'm fairly certain apps can download files in the background, Windows phone can so I would have thought ios would. And the share with another app seems like win phones method of sharing files where any app can open another app and send a file to it. But as the apps that have this issues all display there own file system, it would make sense for there to be a main one. The file system could then sync with icloud like win 8 dies with SkyDrive and you instantly have full syncing between all devices and apps with the developer needing to do anything.

• Reply 177 of 257
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tikiman View Post

No shit, Sherlock.

What moron would interpret this article as suggesting that?

• Reply 178 of 257

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

I sure don't have any info, but the 9to5 guys say they do, and they're making that claim. And that's what I'm commenting on -- frankly, I haven't read a Dilger article in years ;) . I just tend to find this forum a bit better.

That same "sources" suggesting loss of gradients are also suggesting the new look is stunning. This is akin to waiting for a sports team to select its first overall draft pick. You can lose sleep over anticipation, and just wait patiently for 2 more weeks.

• Reply 179 of 257

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

I also think that Apple needs to stop clipping the new features for older phones. Is there a reason my iPhone 4 didn't get the panorama option in the camera app with iOS 6? This is only slightly better than getting no OS updates at all. With constant OS upgrades, my phone is only slightly better off from the day I purchased it, but it's gotten much slower in the process.

You're simultaneously complaining about old phones not getting the full upgrade, and the upgrade slowing down your phone? You must be tough to please in bed.

• Reply 180 of 257

Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Let's be realistic, Apple sell hardware, there a hardware company. They don't put new features on old phones because they want you to buy a new phone. And they don't overly care that your phone is getting slower because its a reason for you to get a new one.

If we're being realistic, why are you just making things up and ignoring the other half of the equation?

…I doubt there trying to optimise everything to the max to get a 3 year old phone to run fast.

Hence. Leaving. Features. Out. They know that some features won't work as well (or at all) on older hardware, so they leave them out rather than giving users a substandard experience.

But Apple aren't a software company, and people don't like paying for software. So its much better to sell your software updates as new hardware.

Originally Stated by Steve Jobs

And so the big secret about Apple, of course–not-so-big secret maybe–is that Apple views itself as a software company and there aren’t very many software companies left… …Alan Kay had a great quote back in the ’70s, I think. He said, “People that love software want to build their own hardware.”