iPhone urinalysis app draws scrutiny from FDA

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

This is why the FDA needs to be shut down.

Shut down… and replaced, or shut down and anyone can sell anything with anything in it regardless of the consequences?

• Reply 22 of 29
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    There is a good joke in there somewhere.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    jessi wrote: »
    The FDA makes all drugs for non-billion dollar a year illnesses cost-prohibitive, and thousands of people die, and millions more suffer every year as a result.

That's hogwash. The pharma co decide which meds go through FDA approval. They also decide whether they can make money off the drugs to recoup the development cost.
  • Reply 24 of 29

Can't wait for the number 2 app. I hear it exports ... a user log.
    "Takes a core dump" would have been funnier. Come on people.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    This is kind of amazing. We are living in exciting technological times!
  • Reply 26 of 29
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    jungmark wrote: »
    For a sec there I though it was a physical attachment that you directly pee on.

Yea, please take your smartphone into the bathroom stall and pee on it, damn it I dropped it in the bowl.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

This is why the FDA needs to be shut down.

My cousin has a chronic illness for which there is a safe and effective treatment, however my cousin is made to suffer because the cost of getting FDA approval for this drug, exceeds the market value of it.

The FDA makes all drugs for non-billion dollar a year illnesses cost-prohibitive, and thousands of people die, and millions more suffer every year as a result.

Surely if this safe and effective treatment already exists it is unethical for the doctors to withhold  it?  I am intrigued as to just what this drug is.

I'm aware in the UK a doctor can prescribe a drug on an off-licence basis, i.e. outside the scope of the approval by the manufacturer and medicine regulator.  It does place extra liability upon the prescriber but if there's good evidence that: i) it is effective treatment and ii) the patient will suffer without it, the prescriber could be considered guilty of failing in their duty of care to the patient.

Preventing tragedies like Thalidomide is the reason why bodies such as the FDA exist.  It's notable that the FDA didn't approve Thalidomide despite pressure from the manufacturer.  Undoubtedly numerous Americans are in better health from that single decision alone.

There are hundreds of British people living with the consequence of the less rigorous approach to drug safety at the time.  Medicine approval was improved in the UK as a direct consequence of the Thalidomide calamity.

There's an article which suggests the application fee for the FDA to assess a drug can be between one to two million dollars.

So if a drug company were to get a drug approved, they will recoup the application fee after around a year if they charged one dollar for something used once a year by one in 350 Americans.

Putting things in context and perspective, the cost of one cab and semi trailer used to deliver the drug is at least $100,000.

The issue of pricing is strictly the responsibility of the pharmaceutical companies, certainly not the FDA.

• Reply 28 of 29
    nanoakronnanoakron Posts: 126member
    What a ridiculous application. That's all I can be bothered to say on the subject.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    While I might welcome FDA around to make sure people don't get harmed -- they've become more and more a puppet of the medical for-profit industry. I'm sure their main function now would be to make sure nothing INEXPENSIVE gets out the door in diagnostic tools.

Don't want a room full of million dollar blinking lights to get replaced by a $99 iPhone attachment after all. I hate being cynical but I'd place money on this bet over "they'll approve things and we'll see inexpensive sensors and responsible apps."