Editorial: Apple's iOS 7 needs exclusive, distinctive features, not just a flat UI

Comments

• Reply 181 of 257
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member

Remember when the Dock icon for iCal was finally improved to show today's date?

It would be nice if the Weather app icon in iOS actually noted the temperature. Why is it always 73 degrees?

• Reply 182 of 257
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I read all the gobbledygook Andy Ihnatko spewed as to why he switched to a Samsung S3. You've been trying for years to get Apple to get rid of the Finder in OS X in favor some weird new file system paradigm only you can use because the desktop metaphor is "stale." You want options for everything and then laugh and point when a normal user screws up their system trying to customize it. You want iOS to be just like Android with a file system, open access, so-called true multitasking, and God only knows what else. 

Well, you see what happened to Microsoft when they got rid of the Start button in Windows 8. The common user, like me, wants consistency along with functionality. I don't want to go through learning curve after learning curve. You are NOT the arbiters of technology advances. I will wait and see what Ive and company come up with. If it means yet another learning curve or a complete new paradigm I'll likely just freeze my Apple experience where I'm at. You know there are still people using System 7. And that goes for OS X too.

• Reply 183 of 257
    I'd love to get data OUT of contacts. Got forbid I need to do a mail merge or such....
  • Reply 184 of 257
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    > And stop leaving user experience dead-ends in iOS, such as where you can see your photos within Camera, but to do anything with them you need to exit and enter the Photos app. This is ridiculous. <

Umm.. It WOULD be ridiculous, if true. But, Dan, you DO have access to Camera Roll within Camera and can edit and share, as per the Photos app. You can't access photos not on the roll from within Camera but that's what Photos, iPhoto and 3rd party apps are for.
  • Reply 185 of 257
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    This is a low blow.  Michael Steeber is a school kid with no experience and Mike Elgan is a card carrying lunatic with delusions of grandeur.  The editorials here, regardless of what problems them may have, are leagues ahead of the nonsense those guys spew over at CultofMac.  

You are entitled to your opinions but I think you'll understand that I disagree. As far as I'm concerned these 'editorials' are just as much a pile of thoughtless lunacy pretending to be journalism as the crap Elgan spews
  • Reply 186 of 257
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is a low blow.  Michael Steeber is a school kid with no experience and Mike Elgan is a card carrying lunatic with delusions of grandeur.  The editorials here, regardless of what problems them may have, are leagues ahead of the nonsense those guys spew over at CultofMac.  

You are entitled to your opinions but I think you'll understand that I disagree. As far as I'm concerned these 'editorials' are just as much a pile of thoughtless lunacy pretending to be journalism as the crap Elgan spews

It did provoke some interesting discussion though.

• Reply 187 of 257
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

I'd love to get data OUT of contacts. Got forbid I need to do a mail merge or such....

Obviously you can't do it on an iOS device but if you sync your contacts to a Mac, you have many options to manipulate the data. In Address Book for OS X you can export all contacts as a single Vcard and it is readable as a text file although not many mail merge capable applications will be able to import it. One could write an AppleScript to extract the data you need into a csv file but fortunately there are more than a hundred different Address Book management apps already available as shareware and freeware.

Take a look here:

https://www.macupdate.com/find/mac/address book

• Reply 188 of 257
    manxmanmanxman Posts: 31member

Windows change their interface because they practice: "continuous improvement".

While Apple practices: "get it right first time".

If it becomes flat and windows like, and less recogniseable, then I will not update.

I have two eyes so I appreciate pseudo-3D, and find/recognise things far better/easier.

• Reply 189 of 257
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yes, on this particular issue.

The whiners and trolls are out in full force in this thread.  Had anyone spent more than a one-line reading of what goes on here, they would have known that my discussion was pointed at those that need a change because they are "bored", or that they want change for the sake of changing.

Apple takes time to get things as close to polished as possible when they come out with new features.  They don't put things out there for the sake of it.  They try to put as much thought into something and it has to apply to a specific problem.

Then there are the ADHD folks out there that want animated wallpapers and 20 widgets all running at the same time while they are composing an email, listening to Justin Bieber, and watching anime movies, and then b!tch as to why their battery life sucks.

Those are the people I'm directly referring to.  If people have a problem with that reality, grow a backbone.

Me and countless people consider the iPhone a phone first.  To the rest of the whiners, go to Android and find some half-baked solution that will keep your attention for the next 3 minutes.

• Reply 190 of 257
    iOS requires improvements but not a change to a boring "Flat UI". The icons with great designs, rounded edges and glass effect provide elegance and are part of the identity of iOS. Hopefully it will not convert "iOS 7" on "Windroid OS 7" because it would be very disappointing.
  • Reply 191 of 257
    There is a certain irony to this editorial. For it is the media and tech pontiffs who are sensationalizing the rumored UI changes. To then turn around and say it isn't that important relative to real features, is a nullifying admission that the media is irrelevant. It is what it will be.

Now can we please get back to talking about the iWatch?
  • Reply 192 of 257
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iOS Programmer View Post

iOS requires improvements but not a change to a boring "Flat UI". The icons with great designs, rounded edges and glass effect provide elegance and are part of the identity of iOS. Hopefully it will not convert "iOS 7" on "Windroid OS 7" because it would be very disappointing.

Yes. Exactly my point!  I'm also convinced Ive's influence on software design was already damaging on OS X. Boring dark grey-ish icons on boring gray background was tremendous  step back in 10.7 and tendency is unfortunately continuous.... While Ive is a great box designed, he has no clue about software user experience....While human wants to have material things to be clear, plain and simple, he/she wants software to be vivid, natural experience, almost reality, role playing. I am very disappointed over direction of OS X and have bad feeling about iOS 7 and further...

Forstall did understand this difference and I believe he did a great job with iOS initially, achieving ironic situation where "professional community" claims iOS design to be outdated simply because it was soooo advanced that it is still the best, that it remained unchanged for too long.

However, Forstall failed in developing functionalities with the required pace.. Perhaps he was too busy feeding his ego...

I'd say Apple has serious problems in software design in general...

• Reply 193 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

iOS being "stale" is just those ADHD-afflicted tech-heads and whiners that need a visual-change every 10 minutes.  Nothing can keep their interest or attention for any decent amount of time.

iOS is efficient, stable, and polished, and gets the job done.  Apple will tweak, address, and resolve issues like they're always good at doing.  I'm happy with the progress they have made, and trust that they will (usually) do the right thing when that time arrives.

These vocal boredom-folks can go to Android and tweak to their hearts' content.  

My mom has the Samsung phone -- the good one. And it's a mess. It has some Kewl things -- but they have no consistent interface to TURN THEM OFF. The voice listening service can be in the background of a phone call. I've got a myTouch and it's annoying. I don't use much features on it, because getting apps is a dodgy experience and frankly, it's already too busy LOOKING. My wife has an iPhone -- and she loves it.

Apple can add more features, but make them elegant and intuitive and don't BREAK A GOOD THING. That "boring" is another way of saying; I know what things are going to do. We don't need sliding panels -- we need a phone that works and a way to get into and out of an app quickly and not have to think how to interact with each one.

Apple is doing great. Take your time. Let the others throw in the kitchen sink and have nobody know they had a dishwasher app.
  • Reply 194 of 257
    "iOS 6 is "boring,""

It is a strange comment to make.
    I'd suggest that those users are a bit limited and thus bored or else they are coded words to describe IOS as the limited entity.
  • Reply 195 of 257
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    poksi wrote: »
    Yes. Exactly my point!  I'm also convinced Ive's influence on software design was already damaging on OS X. Boring dark grey-ish icons on boring gray background was tremendous  step back in 10.7 and tendency is unfortunately continuous.... While Ive is a great box designed, he has no clue about software user experience....While human wants to have material things to be clear, plain and simple, he/she wants software to be vivid, natural experience, almost reality, role playing. I am very disappointed over direction of OS X and have bad feeling about iOS 7 and further...

Forstall did understand this difference and I believe he did a great job with iOS initially, achieving ironic situation where "professional community" claims iOS design to be outdated simply because it was soooo advanced that it is still the best, that it remained unchanged for too long.

However, Forstall failed in developing functionalities with the required pace.. Perhaps he was too busy feeding his ego...

I'd say Apple has serious problems in software design in general...
    Ive just took over HI last October. I doubt he had anything to do with previous OS X design. Can we at least wait until we see the new software before we proclaim he has no clue about it? As far as we know the same people who worked for Forstall are still there. I highly doubt they'd ship junk just because Ive told them to do so. Plus the rumor that Rene Ritchie reported a while back claimed Ive's changes were making people "really happy". Might not make the pro skeuomorphic crowd happy but that doesn't mean it's crap.
  • Reply 196 of 257
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mscientist wrote: »
    There is a certain irony to this editorial. For it is the media and tech pontiffs who are sensationalizing the rumored UI changes. To then turn around and say it isn't that important relative to real features, is a nullifying admission that the media is irrelevant. It is what it will be.

Now can we please get back to talking about the iWatch?
    The Verge posting on 9to5 Mac's rumor has over 1200 comments. MacRumors posting over 600 comments. Cnet's over 400 comments. A lot of comments for something that doesn't matter.
  • Reply 197 of 257
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

The whiners and trolls are out in full force in this thread.  Had anyone spent more than a one-line reading of what goes on here, they would have known that my discussion was pointed at those that need a change because they are "bored", or that they want change for the sake of changing.

... snip ...

Then there are the ADHD folks out there that want animated wallpapers and 20 widgets all running at the same time while they are composing an email, listening to Justin Bieber, and watching anime movies, and then b!tch as to why their battery life sucks.

You shouldn't be surprised if your points are ignored, valid or not.

When someone leads off their post with name-calling, and then sprinkles in more insults later on, few readers are going to take the rest of that poster's "discussion" seriously.

This simple social interaction rule seems to go over the head of some of the more prolific posters here.

--

Try making your point again without insults.  

It seemed to be something about Apple not making changes just for the sake of change.   Sure, but that doesn't mean that switching to a more modern (fresh) UI look is just for the sake of change.  It's for a good reason, part of which is keeping up to date with current UI fashion.

• Reply 198 of 257
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    "iOS 6 is "boring,"" It is a strange comment to make. I'd suggest that those users are a bit limited and thus bored or else they are coded words to describe IOS as the limited entity.
    Strange or not, it's a common theme. I don't see many average consumers saying it, myself, but people do say it, and I see a lot of people choosing Samsung devices.

Personally I like the restraint Apple has applied to the home screen and iOS in general, but perhaps it's time we saw more useful functionality in iOS (and I'm not talking about gimmicky Sammy features), taking into account how the devices are being used today. Hardware wise, I think the obvious next step is to have the iPhone grow up into a family of devices, and get rid of the old iPhone models.

I'd like to see an 8GB 4" A6 powered plastic iPhone introduced as their budget offering, a 4" iPhone A7 5S type devices with a 13MP camera, a finger scanner and large storage options as their main product, and a 5" large screened version of that main product as an additional high end option. And I'd like to see a better value proposition on their main product. It's crazy to think the 5 cost me almost €700, and that was the 16GB model!

We need a budget iPhone at around €349, the main iPhone at €499 (599 & 699), and the large iPhone at €599 (699 & 799). I know that won't happen, but the iPhone would sell in incredible numbers at those price points.

I don't want to repeat what I've already stated with regards software improvements, but they'd be nice, too.
  • Reply 199 of 257
    rogifan wrote: »
    The Verge posting on 9to5 Mac's rumor has over 1200 comments. MacRumors posting over 600 comments. Cnet's over 400 comments. A lot of comments for something that doesn't matter.

And when the rumour proves true, will it matter then? Because I think it matters a lot, and that it has a definitely ring of truth to it.
  • Reply 200 of 257

God.