Samsung teases new Android, Windows devices for June 20 event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
On the heels of launching its latest flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S4, Samsung is now gearing up to introduce more Android devices, as well as new Windows products, at a June 20 event in London.

Samsung

In an invitation sent out to members of the press on Monday, Samsung teased that the company will introduce new products to its Galaxy and Ativ lineups. Galaxy is the brand Samsung uses for its electronics powered by Google's Android platform, while Ativ represents devices running Windows Phone, Windows RT and Windows 8.

Samsung's event will be held just 10 days after Apple's own keynote presentation at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference. There, Apple has to show off new versions of both its iOS and OS X platforms.

It's also expected that Apple will introduce upgraded MacBook models at WWDC featuring Intel's latest-generation Haswell processors. The company is not expected, however, to launch new iPhones or iPads until later this year.

It's unknown exactly what devices Samsung plans to introduce, aside from additions to its Galaxy and Ativ lineups, but the company did accidentally leak images of its forthcoming Galaxy S4 mini on its apps website this weekend. When sorting the company's large smartphone lineup, a thumbnail of Galaxy S4 mini models could be viewed.

Samsung

Samsung's press conference will begin at 2 p.m. Eastern time, 8 p.m. local time in London. The event will be live streamed via Samsung Mobile's official YouTube account.

In addition to being in close proximity to Apple's WWDC, the Samsung media event will also occur less than a week before Microsoft's annual Build developer conference. That event runs from June 26 through 28 in San Francisco.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Who fricking cares?

I'm normally fine with other reports about Samsung here, but this is just absolutely nothing to do with Apple at all. Take this down.

• Reply 2 of 66
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

Just how many devices do they need?

• Reply 3 of 66
    S4 Mini? So wait... Apple is right selling the iPhone 5 at its current size despite all of the criticism Apple has received for not enlarging the iPhone's screen to better compete with the Galaxy line? I think this is an interesting turn.
  • Reply 4 of 66

I think the glory days of Appleinsider are over. Now it is reporting what other companies do almost more then apple!

• Reply 5 of 66
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It's unknown exactly what devices Samsung plans to introduce, aside from additions to its Galaxy and Ativ lineups ...

Don't rule out the mythical toaster-fridge.

Tim Cook's sarcasm may have been lost in the translation to Korean:

"Anything can be forced to converge, but products are about tradeoffs.

You can converge a toaster and refrigerator, but those things are probably

not going to be pleasing to the user."

- Tim Cook, 4/24/2012 on FYQ2 earnings call

Here's a Samsung fridge.  I'm sure they make toasters too.

Just a matter of time before they're "converged."

• Reply 6 of 66
    forangelsforangels Posts: 12member
    I thought this was Apple Insider? I'm done with this, it is being removed from my list as of now!
  • Reply 7 of 66
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    An introduction is one thing but in the end it's who launches first that has the best shot. After all unless you introduce something that is light years ahead of the game folks aren't going to wait. Particularly if they follow the typical and just say 'later this year'.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Here's a Samsung fridge.  I'm sure they make toasters too.

Just a matter of time before they're "converged."

Twitter-Fridge is pretty close to Toaster-Fridge. Engrish might confuse them enough to make the distinction meaningless.

• Reply 9 of 66
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    feynman wrote: »
    Just how many devices do they need?

This is the Samsung strategy. Spam the market for mindshare.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    sengagames wrote: »
    I think the glory days of Appleinsider are over. Now it is reporting what other companies do almost more then apple!

• Reply 11 of 66
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Twitter-Fridge is pretty close to Toaster-Fridge. Engrish might confuse them enough to make the distinction meaningless.

Hee, why didn't you post your froaster link?

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 12 of 66
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I'll know the world is ending when Samsung isn't spamming us with new hardware every month. 

• Reply 13 of 66
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    I think it's relevent insofaras Scamsung's a competitor of Apple so announced competetor phones affect Apple & the market at large but even that's a reach.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    joshuarayerjoshuarayer Posts: 151member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SengaGames View Post

Thats because there is no news or rumors about Apple except the recent iOS 7 UI makeover. They have been sitting in the dark for a long time with no new products or services. But that will all change in what 1 week for WWDC?

• Reply 15 of 66
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I am guessing they will also introduce a Note III. They will then have a small/medium/large for their galaxy line. Though granted their small which is the Mini is likely to be around 4.3 or 4.5" which is still larger than the iPhone. Even without any rumors or leaks to support it I am still hoping against hope that Apple finally releases a larger iPhone this year. I just don't see how they can even maintain let alone grow their market by offering only a 4" phone. People that want a larger screen will not be appeased by having different colors.

• Reply 16 of 66
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    When I come to Appleinsider I expect to read the latest about Apple. So, tell me something ne about Apple not Sammy.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'll know the world is ending when Samsung isn't spamming us with new hardware every month. 

Samsung is keeping themselves in the limelight.  Apple keeps quietly secret for months at a time.

As for different models, Samsung is doing what most manufacturers do...  aim at multiple demographics.  From TechCrunch:

Kantar Worldpanel ComTech data clearly shows that different Samsung models are appealing to a very different type of consumer.

The Galaxy Note II is popular with affluent 25-34 year old males, the Galaxy SIII Mini appeals to younger females, the Galaxy Ace to older females while the Galaxy SIII has broad appeal,” writes Sunnebo.

“The fact that Samsung has so many models available in the market is not indicative of a scatter gun approach, simply a realisation that different consumers demand very different handsets, both in functionality, design and price.”

• Reply 18 of 66

SamsungInsider.. 'nuff said.

• Reply 19 of 66
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Who fricking cares?

I'm normally fine with other reports about Samsung here, but this is just absolutely nothing to do with Apple at all. Take this down.

I agree. Is AI that desperate for web hits that they would post what is essentially a full article about a competitor, having nothing to do with Apple?? They should be ashamed of themselves.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I am guessing they will also introduce a Note III. They will then have a small/medium/large for their galaxy line. Though granted their small which is the Mini is likely to be around 4.3 or 4.5" which is still larger than the iPhone. Even without any rumors or leaks to support it I am still hoping against hope that Apple finally releases a larger iPhone this year. I just don't see how they can even maintain let alone grow their market by offering only a 4" phone. People that want a larger screen will not be appeased by having different colors.

Apple has to asess if the number of people who would buy a larger iPhone, that would NOT have bought the current sized iPhone, would outweigh the manufacturing complexities, loss of scale, inefficiencies, and product dilution of doubling the # of SKUs they have, not to mention the fragmentation, marketing messages,  and added software development complexities. Unlike most people, I don't think that asessment is that black and white. I honestly think this demographic is existent, but tiny. Most of the people mocking the iPhone's size would have went with an Android phone anyway, and will still do so if Apple releases a larger version. And most iPhone users who state they prefer a larger size would still buy the current size anyway, as having a larger phone from someone else will not outweigh all the other reasons they like the iPhone.

Apple, Google, and Samsung all have different business models. Samsung cares only about selling hardware, so the more models they have, the better. Apple is selling a platform, and it has become successful by being clear, focused, and simple. They generally prefer to cut models than create new ones. There's alot of disadvantages to having to market TWO new iPhones at the same time, while explaining to the consumer the differences. And before someone mentions the iPad, the situations are not equivalent, and there are massive differences. The size difference between the iPad and the mini is significant, and makes the mini a viable option in more situations and usage cases. For the iPhone, its not as clear cut, as Apple will not make a massive phone, and so the its debatable whether the existence of a completely separate, slightly larger model is worthwhile.