Samsung teases new Android, Windows devices for June 20 event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Ah Sammy? Is the GS4 not selling well that you need another 5" phone announcement? Shotgun approaches are unsustainable. I bet it's going to be called the Samsung Galaxy Mini Maxi Pad Note 3 w/s-pen.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    struckpaperstruckpaper Posts: 702member

I don't understand why people read this article if they are so adamant they don't want to read about Samsung. Doesn't the headline give you enough information that you can simply avoid this?

The amateur psychologist in me thinks that those who whine about Samsung stories in fact revel in them. Enjoy! :)

• Reply 23 of 66
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    And in other news, Samsung under pollution antitrust investigation...
  • Reply 24 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

I don't understand why people read this article if they are so adamant they don't want to read about Samsung.

You're assuming people read the article and not simply post a comment about the number of Samsung ads, oh excuse me "news", on a supposedly Apple news site.

• Reply 25 of 66
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

Just sayin, I kind of appreciate the Samsung updates. I like knowing what the competition is up to, but I'm probably not going to start reading an actual Samsung website.

• Reply 26 of 66
    pinolopinolo Posts: 91member
    It all happened before. Mac when Microsoft overtook apple in market share for computers. Then apple had the iPod, then the iPhone, then the iPad.
    All markets are like this. One company invents or creates a mass market and the others flood it with cheap knocks off. It's not about market share. It's about passion, craft, design, integration and ease of use. I own a mac. How many iPhone users do? Very little.
    OSX (and 9 before that) have been around for ages. Macs have always been special, regardless of the amount sold. Let Samsung grab the market. They will push it to mediocre average products, with a ton of bells and whistles that make nice on a spec sheet but are of no actual relevance for the average user because they only function with certain apps, are half baked, and rushed to market for the sake of increasing the length of spec sheets. Did intel's CEO regret that his chips are not in Samsung devices or that they are not in apple's?

Everyone is jealous about apple's success. Just as they were about Microsoft (albeit they truly sold crap, they also created excel (for mac only initially, ah the irony)).

As long as apple stays sharp focused on making the best of the breed and entering innovating markets I don't worry the least. If I was American I would worry that Samsung is Korean... But I am swiss and so I worry apple entering the watch market :-)
    I cherish a company that doesn't constantly ask "how much have we sold" "which remote market niche can we tap to sell a couple more products?".
    Success is a marathon, not a sprint. Apple competes with Microsoft in computers, with google and Samsung in smartphones, with no one (slowly google and Samsung) in tablets...
    So many competitors... Yet it still does well.

So yep, Samsung will be the leader in mass market share. And probably profits (in the very long run though).
    But apple, if they manage to keep it that way, will always be apple. Simple, incredibly well crafted and... Empowering. I spend more time doing stuff on my mac than maintaining it, same goes for the iPhone and iPad. Let the android crew end up like Internet Explorer. 10 year old version of the software because people are too lazy to update, don't have a clue or corporate restrictions prevent it. A platform so fragmented that google will have to release security patches for critical vulnerabilities 10 years from no (I'm looking at you windows XP)...
    No, thanks. I always bought apple products, not shares. And the money I spared on maintenance, service interruptions is so great that I'm happy. And they have what? 20% market share? It's ok. It truly is.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    Who really cares ?
    Leaked mini, leaked maxi, leaked nappie.

You watch somebody will read something into the flat, black and white buttons in a moment.

Samsung have little of any innovative value to offer. They simply make mediocre copies of leading innovative products.

It's about ecosystem and Android's is pants.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member

Just as Apple is under siege to make a LARGER iPhone, The-Company-That-Can-Do-No-Wrong is responding to some market pressure to make theirs SMALLER.

Maybe Tim Cook is not as fun as Steve Jobs, but when he says the iPhone 5 is designed to fit in a human hand, I believe him.  Frankly, I find the iPhone 5 screen to be a little too big -- holding it securely in my right hand, I have to stretch uncomfortably to reach the upper-left corner with my right thumb.  I want my iPhone to stay as a device I can operate with one hand and I'll use my full-sized iPad for when I need a mobile device with a big screen.  I'm not interested in any intermediate screen sizes.

• Reply 29 of 66
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Apple has to asess if the number of people who would buy a larger iPhone, that would NOT have bought the current sized iPhone, would outweigh the manufacturing complexities, loss of scale, inefficiencies, and product dilution of doubling the # of SKUs they have, not to mention the fragmentation, marketing messages,  and added software development complexities. 

True, they would have to do all that.  They certainly have the resources.

Quote:

Unlike most people, I don't think that asessment is that black and white. I honestly think this demographic is existent, but tiny. 

It might not be as tiny as people think.

The articles claiming Samsung doesn't sell a lot of high end phones, always seem to leave out the Note, which is, if anything, even higher end than the regular Galaxy S model.  They also leave out the other high end models still being sold.

Take 4Q 2012 as an example.  Of the estimated 65 million smartphones Samsung sold, about 29 million were new and old high end phones.

Of those, eight million were Note 2, one million Note 1.   Considering that Apple sold 48 million smartphones that quarter, nine million phablets seems like a pretty good number.

(The above also indicates that the idea that Samsung mostly sells low end phone is no longer true, if it ever was.  A good guess is that they sell about 1/3 high, 1/3 mid and 1/3 low end.)

• Reply 30 of 66
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

You're assuming people read the article and not simply post a comment about the number of Samsung ads, oh excuse me "news", on a supposedly Apple news site.

Except even if that was a thing, you still can't "keep up" with Samsung because they generate so very many products and just scattershoot them all over the place.  

Even if I as a consumer *wanted* to buy a "Galaxy" from Samsung, I still have to do a few hours of research on which of the 20-40 products they sell called "Galaxy," it is that I want.  

It's just a shitty, anti-customer way of doing business and there is really no excuse for it.  They just want to make money and don't give a crap about their customers.  In other words, standard business practice (for most businesses).  

I'll stick with Apple, one of the very few (large) companies that doesn't do business that way. 

• Reply 31 of 66
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Except your chart only shows declining interest for larger phones over time, so it argues the opposite of what you are trying to say.  

The only two quarters that show what you think they do, are the "fake" (projected) quarters at the end.  

All this chart says is "interest in our larger phones has been declining but against all odds and based on no facts we predict that this will magically reverse in the next two quarters." 

• Reply 32 of 66
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    gwmac wrote: »
    I am guessing they will also introduce a Note III. They will then have a small/medium/large for their galaxy line. Though granted their small which is the Mini is likely to be around 4.3 or 4.5" which is still larger than the iPhone. Even without any rumors or leaks to support it I am still hoping against hope that Apple finally releases a larger iPhone this year. I just don't see how they can even maintain let alone grow their market by offering only a 4" phone. People that want a larger screen will not be appeased by having different colors.

But will people who want different colors be appeased with a larger screen?
  • Reply 33 of 66
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    While it has been a little sparse on the Apple rumor scene, I think it makes the annual Apple keynotes more exciting because no one has a clue what they are going to announce. Of course the down side is that people are dreaming of pie in the sky products and the actual announcement could be a disappointment for those. Here's hoping it's not.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Like Google, Samsung is shooting buckshot. Apple is a high powered sniper rifle.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    totemstotems Posts: 17member

Falling Skies is the worst show I've ever seen in my life

• Reply 36 of 66
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

SamsungInsider.. 'nuff said.

Nah, the staff focuses on flame war topics.

My problem is that they don't cover Apple news very thoroughly (I'll find Apple articles or news on other sites), and each time I've submitted news, it's completely ignored by the staff, so it's a waste of time to keep doing so. I've heard others complain about a lack of attribution when they do post submitted news, so I guess they do sometimes post submitted news.

• Reply 37 of 66
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Maybe it's a new washing machine.

Seriously the Tab 2 has been out for a while now, time for a refresh and a version with Windows on the same hardware.

• Reply 38 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Totems View Post

Falling Skies is the worst show I've ever seen in my life

Then you haven't watched enough Univision...

• Reply 39 of 66
    Apple should make a cheap iDroid phone that runs on Android
  • Reply 40 of 66
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Nah, the staff focuses on flame war topics.

My problem is that they don't cover Apple news very thoroughly (I'll find Apple articles or news on other sites), and each time I've submitted news, it's completely ignored by the staff, so it's a waste of time to keep doing so. I've heard others complain about a lack of attribution when they do post submitted news, so I guess they do sometimes post submitted news.

yep....stir up the membership with a little controversy. Lets gets some page hits and ad views!