Samsung breaks smartphone sales record in China for Q1, doubles Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 111
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    dadoria2 wrote: »
    I'm one of 37 grandkids, with 12 aunts and uncles from my mom's side alone. We have an annual reunion each year and this year there were only 3 iPhone out of the 200+ family members that were present. A majority of my family and some friends had mostly galaxy s3s. Last year there were no android phones there at all. I'm a huge apple fan, but since last June, I switched to the gs3 and never looked back. I'm still a huge apple fan but can't help the feeling that they're seriously lacking as of late. Honestly, I've even become frustrated with my ipad. With such a larger screen compared to my old iPhone, why can't I run 2 apps onscreen at once? I hope they make a good change soon so I could come back, I do miss the seamless sync between all my devices. DISCLAINER : THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE AND OPINION AND MINE ALONE. I don't claim to represent the majority.

Sorry to hear your family is breeding like flies . . . oops, shouldn't go off topic . . .

Seriously, in your little troll script, you left out the part about how many of your teeming swarm of relatives formerly had iPhones. Suddenly they all show up with smartphones and they all happen to be big, fat Android slabs? In other words, your relatives didn't switch, they just jumped into the Samsung pigpen? Didn't you forget to say how they all became disillusioned with Apple's arrogance in not doing big screens?

I really think it would help you if you could "run two apps onsceen at once" on your iPad. You would feel so fulfilled and empowered. Since you're such "a huge Apple fan," maybe you could keep Apple from losing 200 valuable and discerning customers, your family. By the way, did you rap your spoon on a glass, ask for everybody's attention, and then tell all the iPhone owners to hold up their phones? How is a survey conducted, in other words, of a ragtag army of . . . well, you know what I mean. You are dissembling. Lying.
  • Reply 42 of 111
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

This means Samsung is plateauing, while Apple has room for growth in China. Good news for Apple and Samsung is doomed (well, this is literally how it would have been spun against Apple, were the numbers reversed :-).

Lol, my day is just a little brighter now.

• Reply 43 of 111
    Samsung shipment includes your grand mum one ?
  • Reply 44 of 111
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    tooltalk wrote: »
    Dadoria2 sounds just about right. I also attend the largest private university the US and work for a large city agency in NYC. There used to be a lot of iPhones and MacBook's until last year -- when I spotted fewer than half a dozen S2's in wilderness -- but so much changed since about the same time <strong id="user_yui_3_7_3_1_1369715049206_1311" style="font-size:13px;color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.196022033691406px;">Dadoria2</strong>
     noticed the Galaxy invasion. At work, it used to be all Blackberries; now our new CIO is a Apple fan and IT supports Apple idevices only. 

I also get asked a lot by complete strangers, mostly in their 50's and 60's, when I'm off-campus or in the parks. Perhaps it's my big phone, the Note 2, or my beguiling youth  -- while I do my best to be helpful, it gets a bit annoying at times.

I just wish there were more blatant security exploits Comex's jailbreakme.com (remember from 2010?) -- which expoloited iOS safari security hole to jailbreak your phone directly from web browser. no cables! no shady firmware uploader, all done in less than 2 mins?  Heimdall and Samsung's flash counters are very annoying..

See, this is the latest fad in professional trolling. It's called "make up a detailed story about how everybody is switching from Apple to (insert one or more) Android, HTC One, Samsung, or . . . ?

Family, co-workers, "core group of friends." etc. So transparent. "Stale iOS" is out for the moment. Screen size is the new point of trolling leverage, so they think.
  • Reply 45 of 111
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

See, this is the latest fad in professional trolling. It's called "make up a detailed story about how everybody is switching from Apple to (insert one or more) Android, HTC One, Samsung, or . . . ?

Family, co-workers, "core group of friends." etc. So transparent. "Stale iOS" is out for the moment. Screen size is the new point of trolling leverage, so they think.

You would be an apt character model for a new edition to a well know popular childrens book series:

Mr Defensive

• Reply 46 of 111
    People are so hard on AI... this is 'free' news... you shouldn't be expecting anything.

The reporting style here, even if it's regurgitated is far strong than competing sites.

Also. I like to know how Apple is doing in comparison to the competition...

Apple is in competition with Samsung. Samsung news is relevant to AI readers.
  • Reply 47 of 111
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zahran View Post

Really without knowing the average selling price of the phones, there is no comparison to be made. If Apple's was$400 and Samsung's was $60 well so what?! Does the report give the ASPs?

Well there has been news this last week which AI didn't seem fit to report, that being Samsung 'shipped' 10 M Galaxy S4s in under a month.

• Reply 48 of 111
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

It is time for Apple to step up its game in China! As an expat living here it is disheartening to see Samsung taking such a strong position. One of the biggest reasons is their larger screens for smartphones! Apple needs to fill this void in their product line, and quickly. The reason is quite simple. Unlike in the US, where the iPhone dominates, the Chinese consumer's primary computing device is their smartphone, and therefore they prefer the larger screen for everything they do. From viewing websites and photos, to their constant use of social marketing. Certainly price is also a factor, and Samsung is dramatically outspending Apple in marketing and incentives to rapidly gain share. Other key factors are Apple's absence on China Mobile, and Samsung's better understanding and adaptation for the Chinese / Asian market. Speed it up Apple!!!!

As to the negative comments here regarding AI's reporting Samsung news, as an investor, it is extremely important to understand your key competition and trends so their reporting is absolutely relevant and appreciated. The key though is not to respond to and mimic Samsung's PR machine, which tries to control the conversation and creates misleading information and FUD, but to objectively report on the facts. To dig deep and actually investigate and report, not repeat others.

What a load of rubbish.

There is no breakdown of the models sold so there is absolutely no evidence supporting your screen size claim.

Once again you have fallen into the trap of associating Samsung "smartphones" with their high end models, while ignoring the bulk of their sales which are lower priced, lower specced models often with smaller screens all the way down to under 3".

These are the phones being sold in China, people aren't sacrificing several months of their entire income on buying high end smartphones.

• Reply 49 of 111
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Well there has been news this last week which AI didn't seem fit to report, that being Samsung 'shipped' 10 M Galaxy S4s in under a month.

There's no doubt that Samsung ships/sells a lot of units. They are the volume leader in smartphone sales.

But I, too, would like to know which phones they are selling... if nothing else than for my own curiosity. And not just phones from Samsung... I'd like to know them all.

Here is something I've noticed from reading these forums. We only really talk about a handful of phones... Galaxy S3/S4, HTC One, Galaxy Note, Nexus 4, etc. It's easy to compare sales of a handful of flagship phones to another phone... like the iPhone.

But there were 162 million Android phones sold last quarter. :wow:

What were they?

That's the reason I never understood the "Android is winning" argument... when "Android" is mostly made up of cheap non-flagship phones sold around the world.
  • Reply 50 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Why don't more people I know own iPhones? Because they are too expensive. The iPhone 5 starts STARTS at nearly €700 here in Ireland. That's the issue. I'm mean, seriously? It should start at around €499. That would be a fair price point for this device.

And the budget 4" iPhone (8GB, plastic) could sell at €399. And the 5" iPhone could sell at €599.

This is what Apple should do in 2013. These 3 products, these 3 price points.

Why not this price point I'm sure Samsung is selling boatloads of these.

Look all free on the same €75 plan.

We have to pay $A80.

• Reply 51 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadoria2 View Post

I'm one of 37 grandkids, with 12 aunts and uncles from my mom's side alone. We have an annual reunion each year and this year there were only 3 iPhone out of the 200+ family members that were present. A majority of my family and some friends had mostly galaxy s3s. Last year there were no android phones there at all. I'm a huge apple fan, but since last June, I switched to the gs3 and never looked back. I'm still a huge apple fan but can't help the feeling that they're seriously lacking as of late. Honestly, I've even become frustrated with my ipad. With such a larger screen compared to my old iPhone, why can't I run 2 apps onscreen at once? I hope they make a good change soon so I could come back, I do miss the seamless sync between all my devices. DISCLAINER : THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE AND OPINION AND MINE ALONE. I don't claim to represent the majority.

WHY DIDN'T YOU GET THE NOTE 2 IF RUNNING TWO THINGS AT ONCE ON SCREEN IS SO IMPORTANT TO YOU???

DISCLAINER IS SPELT DISCLAIMER AND THE CAPS LOCK KEY IS over here.

• Reply 52 of 111
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Why is this news?
  • Reply 53 of 111
    barcodebarcode Posts: 23member

The fact that 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th place went to cheap Chinese brands you hardly hear about in the west tells you this is a low price commodity market and NOT the kind of hill you want Apple, a premium brand, to be king of.

• Reply 54 of 111
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

Samsung shipment includes your grand mum one ?

image bull's eye...

• Reply 55 of 111
    dadoria2dadoria2 Posts: 16member
    I mentioned two apps at once regarding my ipad and I didn't say they were that important to me. I just asked a question. Why would I ditch my ipad for a smaller screened device? Besides my gs3 can already run two apps at once. I used all caps so it'll be pronounced that my opinion and experiences are not everyone else's, but apparently you guys on this site don't value other people's input. This isn't an English class. I'm typing on a phone at 2 in the morning. Get a life it's a fanboy news site.
    hill60 wrote: »
    WHY DIDN'T YOU GET THE NOTE 2 IF RUNNING TWO THINGS AT ONCE ON SCREEN IS SO IMPORTANT TO YOU???

DISCLAINER IS SPELT DISCLAIMER AND THE CAPS LOCK KEY IS over here.
  • Reply 56 of 111
    vaguelyvaguely Posts: 5member

Is it SALES or SHIPMENTS? They are not the same thing.

• Reply 57 of 111
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member

So, are you lying are just not paying attention.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Appleinsider story

• Reply 58 of 111
    dadoria2dadoria2 Posts: 16member
    Wow! Insecure much? They're all just companies dude. No need to try and insult me. It only brings out your fanaticism and insecurities. We can afford to be a large family. I'm 30, my mom 56 and my grand parents are still alive and are 93 and 95. I have a 2 year old son. You can clearly see we weren't young parents and all had our kids in marriage. So yeah, we multiply because we want to and
    flaneur wrote: »
    Sorry to hear your family is breeding like flies . . . oops, shouldn't go off topic . . .

Seriously, in your little troll script, you left out the part about how many of your teeming swarm of relatives formerly had iPhones. Suddenly they all show up with smartphones and they all happen to be big, fat Android slabs? In other words, your relatives didn't switch, they just jumped into the Samsung pigpen? Didn't you forget to say how they all became disillusioned with Apple's arrogance in not doing big screens?

I really think it would help you if you could "run two apps onsceen at once" on your iPad. You would feel so fulfilled and empowered. Since you're such "a huge Apple fan," maybe you could keep Apple from losing 200 valuable and discerning customers, your family. By the way, did you rap your spoon on a glass, ask for everybody's attention, and then tell all the iPhone owners to hold up their phones? How is a survey conducted, in other words, of a ragtag army of . . . well, you know what I mean. You are dissembling. Lying.
    can afford to. Besides families were larger back in those days before America turned to shit and started necessitating a two income household. Be easy, I clearly stated my opinions are my own. And yes, my family all had iPhone last year. I don't need to take a poll because we all talk, we're all close. Wow! The blind hate for opinions that don't side with your own is just insane to me. You may be a long time member, 1 year before me but the moderators should really look at taking care of people like you.
  • Reply 59 of 111
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Because it's an Apple website, troll. Not a generic tech website, not a Samsung website.

Do you think the Apple execs don't pay attention to news like this?  Of course they do!  Actions of competitors is one of the major categories included in strategic analysis.  Granted, they aren't reading AppleInsider for their news, but they are getting the same information and making decisions based on it.  Articles like this help readers understand why Apple does whatever it does in the future.

I am bothered by the incompleteness and misleading picture. Any Apple investor or employee should dismiss this story as nonsense. Why? Because this sory is nonsense. No models. No prices. No margins. Marketshare is not a business strategy....
  • Reply 60 of 111
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    vaguely wrote: »
    Is it SALES or SHIPMENTS? They are not the same thing.

It is shipments of undefined devices people at strategy analytics decided were smartphones.