Rumor: Apple to double 'iPhone 5S' Retina resolution to 1.5M pixels

Comments

• Reply 121 of 158
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

And why is this a problem? Really is it that much of a problem to support the required icons and images? I really don't think the majority of the complaints surround these trivial requirements. If that is what people are complaining about then I really feel sorry for them.

Honestly folks how long have icons been around? Further over the years how many different sizes have they come in? Bit depths?

I mean really we have people crying in their cereal over the need to supply a few images and icons. It is rather pathetic if you ask me. This is especially the case when you consider all the tools we have today to create such files.

So if your boss told you "please turn in your work as a Word document, and a PDF, and a PDF paginated to legal sized paper, and also as a plain text doc" you'd say "I'd be happy to; I feel sorry for anyone who complains about this."?

Don't get me wrong, Apple did a great job moving us to the retina display.  The pixel doubling solution/hack was well done and well implemented.  The fact that the only thing developers had to do with submit new images and icons and otherwise the apps just worked and looked pretty was excellent.  But it IS a nuisance and introducing a third resolution (which Apple won't do) would drive a lot of us to drink.

My complaint was with your assertion that developers are doing it wrong if they have any artwork that needs to be updated.  Unless all our interface elements are supposed to be text or simple shapes, this is just wrong.

• Reply 122 of 158
    evil edevil ed Posts: 106member
    looool officially worst rumor story ever. Couple months late for April fools guys.
  • Reply 123 of 158
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    I don't believe apple will times its resolution of 16 times original!
  • Reply 124 of 158

Who cares about retina display. I am 62 years old and been using Apple since the Apple IIe. My eyes and fingers need a much bigger screen. Come on Apple listen to us and stop this silly retina hype.

Gonna keep my iPhone 4 until you make what we 'Really" need.

• Reply 125 of 158
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by FredDavenport View Post

…what we 'Really" need.

I'm glad you put that in quotes; I would have otherwise.

• Reply 126 of 158
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm glad you put that in quotes; I would have otherwise.

Why?  

The rest of us are smart enough that we don't need anyone to do that for us.

Surprise.  We understand normal conversation idioms.

• Reply 127 of 158

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Why?  

The rest of us are smart enough that we don't need anyone to do that for us.

Surprise.  We understand normal conversation idioms.

I cringed reading this. It's the best retort you can do?

• Reply 128 of 158

No one really cares about Retina Display. Just asked the millions who are buying Samsung's larger phones.

Come on Apple we need, want and DEMAND a larger iPhone. If you can make a smaller iPad, you can make a larger iPhone.

My 61 year old eyes and fingers need a larger iPhone. Will keep my iPhone 4 until there is a "much" larger iPhone 5s, 6 or 7.

Please, Please, Please Larger iPhone.

• Reply 129 of 158

No one really cares about Retina Display.

And there goes any shred of an argument you might have had.

Just asked the millions who are buying Samsung's larger phones.

Which. Have. Retina. Displays.

Come on Apple we need, want and DEMAND a larger iPhone. 

Stop. No one needs, few want, and no one demands.

Will keep my iPhone 4 until there is a "much" larger iPhone 5s, 6 or 7.

Again, nonsense. That you refuse to actually buy something larger to suit your whining says you don't actually care about this.

• Reply 130 of 158
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

No one really cares about Retina Display. Just asked the millions who are buying Samsung's larger phones.

Come on Apple we need, want and DEMAND a larger iPhone. If you can make a smaller iPad, you can make a larger iPhone.

My 61 year old eyes and fingers need a larger iPhone. Will keep my iPhone 4 until there is a "much" larger iPhone 5s, 6 or 7.

Please, Please, Please Larger iPhone.

Those millions of Samsung phones also have retina-calibur displays, which refers to resolution and dpi. Retina is just a marketing term Apple came up with when such high dpi wasn't common at all. 

As for you, if you're being genuine, I sincerely recommend you just go ahead and buy a larger Android phone (S4, Note, etc). Apple is not going to make what you're looking for anytime soon, especially a "much" larger iPhone. If size is such a big factor for you, s you state, I don't understand why you'd be willing to wait several more years for a large iPhone that may never come. Just buy what suits your needs today. 

• Reply 131 of 158
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Actually on the ipad side what I would like to see is a move to the 16:9 aspect ratio. 

What I like about the iPad is its 4:3 screen.

• Reply 132 of 158
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    smalm wrote: »
    What I like about the iPad is its 4:3 screen.

I think 3:2 would have been an overall better choice, but 16:9 isn't a good choice. The 4:3 and 3:2 ratios work better for a bigger variety of uses. 16:9 sacrifices so much screen height/width and only for one use, it makes other uses feel more cramped.
  • Reply 133 of 158
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Not going to happen. 312ppi is crisp enough. Increasing resolution further would increase costs, power consumption, and create more headaches for developers for minimal benefit to the end user.

For every data point Apple lists in the technical specifications sheet you can easilly find at least one android phone that bests the iPhone. What allows the iPhone to achieve the best overall experience is the appropiate design compromises combined with the simplicity and peace of mind of the iOS user experience and App Store respectively.

• Reply 134 of 158
    I really love Apple products, but the phone has definitely gotten too small for me.

I just know that Apple will make a Retina 1080p 4.5" phone for me with double the battery life and double the storage. And with the ability to enable some apps to run in the background periodically, so they always have fresh data when I open the app (I.e. Zinio, PressReader and Good for Enterprise). And widgets, too, that function similarly, so the weather and traffic maps are instantly up-to-date when I need the data.

I'll pay whatever. Thanks and keep up the great work!

Oh, and I've always wanted to be able to run my iPhone and iPad apps on my laptop, too. Thanks! :)
  • Reply 135 of 158

Originally Posted by NumeriusNegidius

I just know that Apple will make a Retina 1080p 4.5" phone for me with double the battery life and double the storage. And with the ability to enable some apps to run in the background periodically, so they always have fresh data when I open the app (I.e. Zinio, PressReader and Good for Enterprise). And widgets, too, that function similarly, so the weather and traffic maps are instantly up-to-date when I need the data.

Go buy an Android.

Oh, and I've always wanted to be able to run my iPhone and iPad apps on my laptop, too. Thanks! image

This will never happen. Ever.

• Reply 136 of 158
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    It'd be overkill. Show me one human than can perceive anything higher than Retina resolution. We're at the point where we don't need any more pixels, especially shoved into a tiny display.
  • Reply 137 of 158
    Go buy an Android.

This will never happen. Ever.

No, I want an iPhone with a bigger 1080p screen. I bet millions of others do, too.

But you're right that Android phones are an option. It seems that many have chosen to buy one of those phones in order to get a bigger screen.

Anyway, I'm sure Apple will offer a bigger, premium 1080p screen option, and that their stock price will skyrocket once it's announced.
  • Reply 138 of 158

Originally Posted by NumeriusNegidius View Post

Anyway, I'm sure Apple will offer a bigger, premium 1080p screen option, and that their stock price will skyrocket once it's announced.

How's that 2.5", data-less, no-app iPhone treating you? Oh, wait. That never existed. Well, at least you can upgrade your xMac to make yourself feel better. Oops.

What possible explanation do you have for their stock going up after announcing a horrible device?

• Reply 139 of 158
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Again, nonsense. That you refuse to actually buy something larger to suit your whining says you don't actually care about this.

- We understand that you don't, but it must be clear by now that lots of other people want a larger screen.

- See, above, and add "Especially older eyes and fat fingers."

- Wanting a larger screen does not equate to "want Android." We still want iOS, but bigger.

- Aside from fanboys and technogeeks, NOBODY walks into a store thinking "I want an iPhone because it has a RETINA screen." Ordinary people don't even know what that means. They buy it because it's shiny, works with their other stuff and says "Apple" on it.

- We stick with our antiquated devices because we're voting with our wallets. I'm not buying an iP5 either, because it's not what I want. I'm not buying a Samsung because it's not what I want. When someone makes what I want, I'll buy it. In a perfect world, that will be a larger iPhone.

I'm not sure what you accomplish my jumping all over anyone who expresses any or all of the above, but I'll again counter just so the person you're insulting doesn't feel like he's alone.

• Reply 140 of 158
    khunsakhunsa Posts: 3member
    "jusephe 2013/05/28 08:47am
    That equals an very strange resolution of about 1632 by 919 pixels. And about 468 ppi !

I think they could rather go straight to full HD or some nicer resolution like 1600 by 900.

But if this happen or not, most people will not tell the difference, unless Apple will improve the display in other areas as well."

Yes, i believe 1600x900 is what will result. I think 1.5 million is a shortcut for 1.44 million. Like some would say... 1gb is 1000mb , where is reality , 1gb is 1024mb.