Controversy brews around Apple's plans for new San Francisco store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    The fountain is definitely impressive though I am not sure I would call it beautiful. A bit like the Sistine Chapel. Completely OTT but no doubt you can spend ages looking and get drawn in.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The fountain is definitely impressive though I am not sure I would call it beautiful. A bit like the Sistine Chapel. Completely OTT but no doubt you can spend ages looking and get drawn in.

How about the city pay for it to be removed and dumped in the front yard of this "critic".

• Reply 23 of 48
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Not to mention the "boxy" high-rise buildings all around the "proposed" Apple Store.

No kidding.  Where was this guy when they built the building that's already there?  The other ones on that same block are just big slabs of stone.

Oh right... it's an Apple Store.  It's automatic click-bait for this critic's column. 

• Reply 24 of 48
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Compared to the dreadful architecture surrounding Apple's proposal, the city should be begging Apple to move ahead post haste.

The city is ecstatic with the building. The only whiners are people showing how awesomely hip they are by being contrarian. I guess their preference for a generic mall-tastic Levi building and awkwardly placed fountain is supposed to cow everyone else into protesting for the status quo.

• Reply 25 of 48

Quote:

Compared to the dreadful architecture surrounding Apple's proposal, the city should be begging Apple to move ahead post haste.

Quite. It is very cool with that cantilevered impossibly thin looking 'shelf'. Equal parts Rogers & Ive.

• Reply 26 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post

Dude, that fountain is repellent. In the picture, it looks like a giant picked his nose and threw down a giant booger. Of course, sculpture cannot really be appreciated without actually seeing it in person, so it may be quite a sensitive and moving moment to behold it.

I walk by this sculpture all the time in Union Square.  It's in a area that no one really walks by, it's in the shadows most of the time, and that particular corner is not a place I'd want to be hanging around in for too long due to its attraction for vagrants.

Now I'm not going to be an art critic as it is in the eye of the beholder, and I'm a big fan of art.  While the fountain may not be my favorite, it will be better appreciated somewhere else.  That one corner could really be revitalized with an Apple store.  The Levi's store there is an eyesore as far as I'm concerned.

• Reply 27 of 48

Quote:

How about the city pay for it to be removed and dumped in the front yard of this "critic".

Childish but very funny :)

• Reply 28 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by danyak View Post

Criticism seems worthy - though I don't know first hand what it would look like in the proposed area. Personally, I'm feeling that Apple's once great designs are a getting a bit dated and yes, OMG, mall-ishly standard and spare.

I kindly disagree.  I think they are great-looking stores that Apple obviously puts a lot of thought into.  I like the heavy use of glass.  It's open, welcoming, and does not feel confined.  The current Apple Store on Stockton does feel that way, especially when there are large crowds of customers simply because the 2nd floor is all enclosed.  They are keeping their stores elegant, yet making the necessary updates/changes that keeps their appeal and fresh.

The more natural light that can be brought in, the better.

• Reply 29 of 48
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I agree with one thing, that exterior wall is very stark and forbidding and could benefit from some (tasteful) livening up.

• Reply 30 of 48
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

He ain't wrong.  He makes some valid points.  

Also, people calling that fountain "ugly" don't have a clue and shouldn't be commenting on design/art issues at all.  

remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder, one person's art is another person's trash.. so art by its mere existence is open to interpretation and everyone is allowed their opinion on it.

• Reply 31 of 48
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

You sound extremely butthurt over other people's opinions.

That may well be one of the worst puns/jokes ever posted here. Somehow, I have a feeling that even you didn't laugh.

• Reply 32 of 48
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder, one person's art is another person's trash.. so art by its mere existence is open to interpretation and everyone is allowed their opinion on it.

The dark side of democracy ...

• Reply 33 of 48
    citycity Posts: 522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I agree with one thing, that exterior wall is very stark and forbidding and could benefit from some (tasteful) livening up.

Perhaps wallpaper should be applied? "Livening up" is a poor approach to design that is conveyed to often by people on a committee. Sometimes a municipality will hire a "great" architecture firm and get mediocre results because of this concept.

• Reply 34 of 48
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    No doubt it could be done badly, but I'm not going to design a suggestion just to prove a point.

It's dull and unattractive from the side, that's the point.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    That fountain and steps does not mix at all IMO. Move it elsewhere, or resetting it in a better composition.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    wurm5150 wrote: »
    Criticism of one person (so far) is controversy?

I too was looking for the controversy but not a critique by one person. Perhaps in AI's world one critique is a controversy and many is a disaster.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    I must admit it does look like box from that rendering and one side is a plain wall. I means it isn't as ugly as the DeYoung Museum in Golden Gate Park which imho is an ugly monstrosity but its pretty close!
  • Reply 38 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Criticism of one person (so far) is controversy?

Seriously! I was expecting a local resident protest or some kind of public debate. 

• Reply 39 of 48
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    How is it possible a failing institution like the SF Chronicle can support a 'urban design critic'? And even worse, someone who is so off the mark
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Where was John King when the awful, Cold War multi-floor buildings that frame Apple's Anymall USA structure were built? Compared to the surrounding buildings, Apple's store is a gem. Apple is fun to critique because...well...Apple.

Apple's stores are iconic in their own way and the company has a right to re-enforce their brand through their stores' architecture. Foster Partners' founder has a knighthood and a Pritzker; John King has a pulpit. About the only thing I agree with - and this hasn't even been confirmed or denied by Apple - is the removal of the fountain.