Controversy brews around Apple's plans for new San Francisco store

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    He ain't wrong.  He makes some valid points.  

Also, people calling that fountain "ugly" don't have a clue and shouldn't be commenting on design/art issues at all.  
    God I hate design snobs.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    for the great many of you who don't live in SF and know its local politics (i do), if the plan in fact takes out the fountain, then it's DOA.

so they will work around it somehow.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    red oak wrote: »
    How is it possible a failing institution like the SF Chronicle can support a 'urban design critic'? And even worse, someone who is so off the mark
    I'll bet he comes cheap. I.e., free.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    I must agree that this store design is not especially appealing but looking at the surrounding buildings I don't think this is a place for anything extravagant.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    He ain't wrong.  He makes some valid points.  

Also, people calling that fountain "ugly" don't have a clue and shouldn't be commenting on design/art issues at all.
    maestro64 wrote: »
    remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder, one person's art is another person's trash.. so art by its mere existence is open to interpretation and everyone is allowed their opinion on it.
    stelligent wrote: »
    The dark side of democracy ...

I think the top quoted piece of absolutism is the dark side of something else. Sometimes the art and design worlds (or really, any profession or interest too) do get caught up in themselves. This kind of attitude and pretense was warned against in The Emperor's New Clothes.

I bet the worst that would happen is that it gets relocated. It's doesn't look so large that it can't be moved for an easily raised amount of money, assuming Apple or the landowner doesn't foot the bill.
  • Reply 46 of 48

Other than the art of the existing fountain, which could be moved, I don't understand any of the outcry against the Apple Store design. For those who you who think the new Apple store is ugly, you might want to use Google's Street View and look around the square. It's not like the square is an old established European square with any real character. While a big glass Apple Store may not be overly architecturally interesting, its clean lines and modern appearance is far better looking than a lot of the existing structures in the square.

Additionally, I happen to like the sculpture (by itself), but the photo in this article shows it at its best. If you look at it in Street View, you will noticed that it appears to be simply "dumped" in the middle of a large stairway. That, to me, is not very attractive. I'd recommend that Apple offer to move it to the square where there are other stairs and incorporate it there for all to enjoy.

• Reply 47 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

That may well be one of the worst puns/jokes ever posted here. Somehow, I have a feeling that even you didn't laugh.

Wasn't a joke or a pun. You merely sound like a petulant baby over *gasp* THE HORROR *gasp* someone having a different opinion than yours.

• Reply 48 of 48
    That fountain is seriously ugly. Bleh.