Rumor: Apple reportedly looking to Samsung for thin glass LCDs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Faced with the need for thin glass for use in iPhone, iPad, and MacBook LCDs, Apple has reportedly turned to rival Samsung's display division to fill its component needs, reversing a trend that has seen the iPhone maker slowly move its supply chain away from the South Korean tech giant.

thinglass

Tuesday brought word of Apple's alleged reversal, which is said to have reinvigorated the thin glass market in South Korea, according to ETNews. Demand for thin glass, which is a major component used in LCD displays for mobile devices and ultra-thin notebooks, is expected to grow to $464 million in 2013, up 34 percent year-over-year.

That increase stems largely from the massive popularity of both Apple and Samsung products. The two companies sell more phones and tablets than any other manufacturers.

In the past, Apple and Samsung collaborated much more closely, with Apple inking lucrative deals with Samsung for numerous components that went into its iPhones and iPads.

Now, though, the two are fierce rivals, continually fighting out patent issues even as they compete in various markets around the world. Apple in recent months has been distancing itself from Samsung, trying to move as much of its sourcing away from its chief competitor in order to lessen the possibility of Samsung gaining foreknowledge of its products.

Samsung Display, though, has a considerable stable of thin glass vendors, each of which has seen explosive growth as mobile devices gain popularity worldwide. Additionally, the South Korean company may be one of the more reliable component suppliers. Recent reports have indicated that, despite having achieved certification for iPad mini LCD panel production, AU Optronics ? another supplier Apple has relied upon in lieu of Samsung ? has been experiencing problems ramping up to mass production levels.

As Tuesday's report was light on specifics, it is difficult to determine whether Apple is only sourcing LCDs from Samsung until it can find another capable supplier or whether the company has decided to start a longer term relationship.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Has Apple ever considered transparent aluminium instead?

• Reply 2 of 32
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

"Computer? Hello, computer!?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

• Reply 3 of 32
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Good choice

• Reply 4 of 32
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Good choice

What, exactly, do you think that video is a test of?

• Reply 5 of 32
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    Good choice

That's the outer glass in the video. The glass the article is about is the actual LED glass underneath it.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Good choice

Awesome display of Samsung technology on the Galaxy S4. Gorilla glass...gotta love it!

• Reply 7 of 32

They did post the formula on Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
  • Reply 8 of 32
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

There's a punchline here somewhere.

• Reply 9 of 32
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    geekdad wrote: »
    Awesome display of Samsung technology on the Galaxy S4. Gorilla glass...gotta love it!

If it's Gorilla Glass that means it's Corning's technology, not Samsung's. There are other companies that are working on and apparently selling alkali-aluminosilicate sheet glass but i think the S4 uses GG.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 10 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Transparent aluminium would turn the iPhone into a nuclear wessel

• Reply 11 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If it's Gorilla Glass that means it's Corning's technology, not Samsung's. There are other companies that are working on and apparently selling alkali-aluminosilicate sheet glass but i think the S4 uses GG.

Please read my comments again.......No where did I say Gorilla Glass was a Samsung invention. You just assumed that. I even called it by name GORILLA GLASS not SAMSUNG GLASS....at least if you want to criticize get it right....

"Awesome display of Samsung technology on the Galaxy S4. Gorilla glass...gotta love it!"

• Reply 12 of 32
    Please read my comments again.......No where did I say Gorilla Glass was a Samsung invention. You just assumed that. I even called it by name GORILLA GLASS not SAMSUNG GLASS....at least if you want to criticize get it right....
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.1875px;background-color:rgb(241,241,241);">"Awesome display of Samsung technology on the Galaxy S4. Gorilla glass...gotta love it!"</span>

Yes! You said Samsung technology in a video showing how GG3 is scratch resistant. Where are there any displays of Samsung tech being tested? The video is even called a scratch test.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

There will be divisions within Samsung (components) that have been burned by its CE division(s) that has/have betrayed the relationship with Apple that seemed previously to have been so mutually beneficial. These divisions would be more than happy to have Apple's business and Apple's leadership pragmatic enough to give their business to them. That's my take at least. :)

• Reply 14 of 32

Quote:

Yes! You said Samsung technology in a video showing how GG3 is scratch resistant. Where are there any displays of Samsung tech being tested? The video is even called a scratch test.

NO.....You made that leap...there is also other technology as well in the Galaxy S4....it did not take the time to list them all. I called out the awesome technology on the Galaxy S4...then said how great Gorilla Glass was. The video was a demo of Gorilla glasson a Samsung Galaxy S4. The Galaxy S4 is the technology i was commenting on along with the Gorilla glass......

• Reply 15 of 32
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    So-called thin glass has to be something more than just "thin glass." Otherwise, anyone could make it. So, what is special about thin glass?
  • Reply 16 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

You two bitching back and forth DO realize that iPhones use Gorilla Glass too, right? They have been seen the very first one. Apple just doesn't advertise that in bullet points. 

• Reply 17 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You two bitching back and forth DO realize that iPhones use Gorilla Glass too, right? They have been seen the very first one. Apple just doesn't advertise that in bullet points. 

Yes...and if that video had an IP5 in it i would have said Awesome Apple Technology...Gorilla glass gotta love it!

But i don't think he would have commented at all...

• Reply 18 of 32
    NO.....You made that leap...there is also other technology as well in the Galaxy S4....it did not take the time to list them all. I called out the awesome technology on the Galaxy S4...then said how great Gorilla Glass was. The video was a demo of Gorilla glasson a Samsung Galaxy S4. The Galaxy S4 is the technology i was commenting on along with the Gorilla glass......

No need to list them all. How about listing just one Samsung technology that video displayed. The only technology I see displayed in that video is GG3 being tested, which, again is a Corning technology utilized by Samsung.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    isaidso wrote: »
    What, exactly, do you think that video is a test of?

The gullibility of people on the Internet.
  • Reply 20 of 32

Quote:

No need to list them all. How about listing just one Samsung technology that video displayed. The only technology I see displayed in that video is GG3 being tested, which, again is a Corning technology utilized by Samsung.

First off the phone was a Galaxy S4....wake screen said "Life Companion" which comes default on the S4 not the S3. He even says it in the video....

The video displayed the S4......that was enough for me. Here is the link to the YouTube video where it says "

Samsung Galaxy sIV Scratch Test (Knives, Keys, Pennies)"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DOW_IuZQ-5E#!

To your highlighted comment....you could say the same thing about the iPhone...it has Samsung, LG, Sharp technology utilized by Apple.