Why can't I delete this file!?!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
To start:

I copied an OS 9 partition to my Firewire backup drive. I no longer need it, so I tried to delete it - no go. It always says that I don't have permissions to delete it. I used SNAX to peak inside the folder, and found a locked 'HFS+ Private Data' folder, that has a .DS_Store in it. Even in SNAX, I can't remove the damn file!! I can unlock it, and immediately move it to the trash - but it's still there. Now mind you, It takes up no space at all, but it's annoying and I want it gone. I can also navigate to it in the terminal, hack a root access and I STILL CAN'T DELETE IT. I've even gone into the Net Info Manager and authenticated a root access.

Un-Fing believable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    try this:

sudo rm /path/to/file

if u are uncertain about the file path, do:

sudo rm

then drag the file from the finder onto the terminal window.

after the path is filled in, hit enter to execute the command. sudo will grant u temporary root access (after you type in ur root password, when asked). that should eradicate the file.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Try using

sudo rm -f <path to file>

forces remove of file, since you couldn't remove it regularly as root.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    just a not. be really, really damn careful before doing this. if you screw that part up, you're looking at a hosed machine.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    there si already another thread dealing with this problem. but to solve it quickly, use <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=16820&db=mac"; target="_blank">Stubborn File Remover 1.1</a>
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Guess what...NONE OF THOSE SUGGESTIONS WORKED. Not even the Stubborn File remover Apple Script. This damn thing has me stumped!!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    If you can boot into OS9, delete it from there.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by dmgeist:

<strong>If you can boot into OS9, delete it from there.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah...I should have mentioned that in the very beginning. However, come Jan 2003 - that will no longer be a luxury, so I wanted to solve this problem now...and figure out a little unix in the process.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    if you log in as root and rm -rf the file it will die, but you have a good chance of screwing up your system.

are you 100% sure you know what this is and that you're positive it isn't necessary?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Don't delete it! it's a neccesary system file.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>if you log in as root and rm -rf the file it will die, but you have a good chance of screwing up your system</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, that's why you don't use -rf to delete files, just -f... -r is recursive and if you had a / after the command you would hose it...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by robster:

<strong>Don't delete it! it's a neccesary system file.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes - I'm aware of that. However, this is not on my actual boot drive, it's on a Firewire HD.

At any rate, I'm just going to boot into OS 9 and end this charade.

Thanks for the tips, though!