Cook: Apple sold over 6M Apple TVs in 2012, 13M since launch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In an interview at the D11 conference on Tuesday, Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed that the company has sold over 13 million Apple TVs to date, nearly half of which were sold last year alone.

Tim Cook
Apple CEO Tim Cook at the D11 conference. | Source: AllThingsD

Speaking with AllThingsD's Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher, Cook noted that Apple was selling only "a few hundred thousand" Apple TVs per year when it first launched, but added that sales have recently jumped exponentially to roughly 6 million in the 2012 calendar year.

"That business has found many many more customers," Cook said. "I think it's been great both for customers and very good from a learning point of view for Apple. I think many of us would agree that there's lots of things about the TV experience that can be better. We answered some of those, not all of those."

When pressed further about his previous comments on a possible Apple-branded standalone television or other device, Cook expectedly declined to go into detail. He did reiterate that TV is "a great area of interest for [Apple]," and noted the relationships created from working on Apple TV have offered perspective on the industry.

Tim Cook

"And the popularity has been larger than we thought," Cook said. "We're not marketing it like we do our other products. So it's encouraging."

Not much was discussed in the way of future plans, or even possible deals with content owners, but the executive did reiterate his belief that the current television experience leaves much to be desired.

In an effort to pry some color on Apple's TV plans from Cook, Swisher took a final stab by questioning the solidity of Apple's vision for the TV moving forward.

"There is a grand vision," Cook replied.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Finally, some real AppleTV numbers.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Not bad for a "hobby" that has near zero marketing, and is not widely understood. Also, this is all I needed to hear:

"It's not an experience that has been brought up to this decade, Cook said.
    I don't want to go any further on this because I don't want to give anybody any ideas.
    [B]There is a very grand vision."[/B]

Cook has stated several times now that Apple is working on "game-changing" things, which is pretty damn exciting.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    briancpabriancpa Posts: 61member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"I think it's been great both for customers and very good from a learning point of view for Apple."

I think its great for customers too. Thanks to both the AppleTV and Airplay, I severed ties with my cable company. Can't beat that.

• Reply 4 of 68
    Apple TV is the best av tool since the DVD and more. I look forward to see what the next generation brings.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    jhart376jhart376 Posts: 30member
    It would be interesting to understand why they don't market it. I was in the Apple store yesterday and there was just one in the corner with a TV on a table. People who have it really like it and it ties you more into the Apple ecosystem. What about a few commercials or a better demo in the stores? What about a promotion where it is $50 with purchase of select other Apple products? My only possible guess is that they don't want too many messages out there or perhaps they want to do big marketing when the have their bigger solution and don't want to confuse the market by overly defining Apple TV now.
  • Reply 6 of 68
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    I'm surprised they haven't started competing with Sonos. Among other reasons wireless speakers are a product many people would buy more than one of. Airplay begs for it. So what's the obstacle?
  • Reply 7 of 68
    briancpabriancpa Posts: 61member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhart376 View Post

It would be interesting to understand why they don't market it. 

For the longest time, I didn't even know what the thing did image

• Reply 8 of 68
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Apple TV is the best av tool since the DVD and more. I look forward to see what the next generation brings.
    Hopefully more codecs. I like it, but the sparse video codec support is a sore point for me.
  • Reply 9 of 68
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    gordy wrote: »
    Hopefully more codecs. I like it, but the sparse video codec support is a sore point for me.

Hoping for something 4K soon.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhart376 View Post

It would be interesting to understand why they don't market it. I was in the Apple store yesterday and there was just one in the corner with a TV on a table. People who have it really like it and it ties you more into the Apple ecosystem. What about a few commercials or a better demo in the stores? What about a promotion where it is $50 with purchase of select other Apple products? My only possible guess is that they don't want too many messages out there or perhaps they want to do big marketing when the have their bigger solution and don't want to confuse the market by overly defining Apple TV now.

I think you answered your own question. I think Apple realizes Apple TV is not the full solution yet, and missing some critical pieces. It's not "great" enough- not yet, anyway. Apple feels fine about having it around and incrementally making it better, but it doesn't yet deserve the attention that a full marketing campaign would bring. This is not entirely shocking- I would actually surprised if Apple pushed it heavily as it is now- it just doesn't seem like something that's in the DNA of the company. It's a versatile product, but not one which can be clearly defined yet for most people. I think most would agree its a fantastic value and insanely useful for anyone with other Apple products, but clearly Apple believes it hasn't begun to reach its full potential yet, and I respect that outlook. A lesser company would push it like any of their other products. Apple looks at the much bigger picture. 

• Reply 11 of 68
    atashiatashi Posts: 59member

I love my Apple TV but it's starting to act up. I think the hard drive might be starting to go on it. My dad loves his too, but he has trouble getting his to talk to iTunes 11. I just finally updated to iTunes 11 and my Apple TV isn't even showing up any more as a Device. :(

My dad and I would both like to see Apple come out with a new version of the original. I like being able to load it up with my movies, music, photos, etc. and then being able to watch them whenever I want without having to remember to go turn on the iMac and start up iTunes. 

Maybe an Apple TV Pro? Mash-up between Apple TV and NAT storage? 

• Reply 12 of 68
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

With the lack of insight, Swisher asked if Apple had a definitive television strategy going forward.

"There is a grand vision," he said.

There's just no way around it. The only way Apple can ever give your living room the perfect seamless experience is if they completely control that experience. And the only way that's possible for them is if they provide an all-in-one turn key solution. Yes, it's taking longer than I ever thought it would, but this is ultimately living room destiny for Apple. Ladies and gentlemen, iTV.

I'm genuinely more excited for iTV than I was for the iPad, and that's the best product I've ever owned.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

I bought an Apple TV (third gen) in 2012. But I sold it when the Roku 3 came out mainly because the ATV was confining as far as third-party content is concerned and I couldn't access Amazon Prime Instant Videos. My Roku 3 does everything my Apple TV does and more (I can access pretty much the entire library of Time Warner Cable HD content using the TWC app, so I don't even need a cable box in our bedroom).

• Reply 14 of 68
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    I have decided the next generation will probably be the one in our house(whether or not it has a screen) As for the features in it are enough to improve are TV experience on price amounts, I hope however it is a major upgrade(only seen once since its debut). I have came up with 10 reasons in 10 hours for the Apple TV.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    jhart376 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to understand why they don't market it.

Because they haven't played their hand yet. I think their PR management of the Apple TV has been one of Steve Jobs greatest achievements. And the fact that they don't marketed it outside of its own website says a lot for just how great a company Apple is.
  • Reply 16 of 68

I went into Radio Shack the other day because I wanted to be able to hook up my iPad to flat screen TVs in various meeting rooms. For a 6' HDMI cable and the adapter for iPad to HDMI it ran about $50 each. For that I can buy an ATV and not be physically wired to the TV. 

• Reply 17 of 68
    walshbj wrote: »
    I'm surprised they haven't started competing with Sonos. Among other reasons wireless speakers are a product many people would buy more than one of. Airplay begs for it. So what's the obstacle?

'Focus'
  • Reply 18 of 68
    slurpy wrote: »
    I think you answered your own question. I think Apple realizes Apple TV is not the full solution yet, and missing some critical pieces. It's not "great" enough- not yet, anyway. Apple feels fine about having it around and incrementally making it better, but it doesn't yet deserve the attention that a full marketing campaign would bring. This is not entirely shocking- I would actually surprised if Apple pushed it heavily as it is now- it just doesn't seem like something that's in the DNA of the company. It's a versatile product, but not one which can be clearly defined yet for most people. I think most would agree its a fantastic value and insanely useful for anyone with other Apple products, but clearly Apple believes it hasn't begun to reach its full potential yet, and I respect that outlook. A lesser company would push it like any of their other products. Apple looks at the much bigger picture. 

Please use the word culture, not DNA. That's all RDF. It's called company culture, thinking, philosophy, not DNA.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I went into Radio Shack the other day because I wanted to be able to hook up my iPad to flat screen TVs in various meeting rooms. For a 6' HDMI cable and the adapter for iPad to HDMI it ran about $50 each. For that I can buy an ATV and not be physically wired to the TV. 

$50 for a 6' HDMI cable? :wow:

You should check out Monoprice.com if you're in the US.
  • Reply 20 of 68
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    briancpa wrote: »
    I think its great for customers too. Thanks to both the AppleTV and Airplay, I severed ties with my cable company. Can't beat that.

Same here, home to three Apple TVs. We only have FiOS internet ... that's it. We watch Netflix and Apple TV ... we enjoyed TV more that we ever have and don't miss regular TV one scrap, especially the ads and news.