Apple hires former head of US Environmental Protection Agency

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2015
Lisa P. Jackson, the former administrator of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, has joined Apple to oversee its environmental initiatives.

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook revealed the hiring of Jackson in an interview with journalists Kara Swisher and Walt Mossberg at the D11 conference on Tuesday. Apple's environmentally friendly strategies were brought up by Mossberg, who noted that Apple has come under increased attention from critics as the company has grown.

Solar 1

The CEO mentioned that Apple currently owns the largest solar farm and the largest fuel cell of any non-energy company in the nation. The facilities are located adjacent to the company's data center in Maiden, N.C.

Jackson served as the administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency under President Barack Obama from 2009 until February of this year. Her resignation was politically motivated, according to the New York Post, as she did not agree with Obama's plans to greenlight the controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline.

In her new role of Apple, she will oversee the iPhone maker's green initiatives, including projects like the massive solar and fuel cell farm in North Carolina.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Solar 1

The CEO mentioned that Apple currently owns the largest solar farm and the largest fuel cell of any non-energy company in the nation. The facilities are located adjacent to the company's data center in Maiden, N.C.

But Greenpeace is still butthurt about Apple. Go figure.

• Reply 2 of 15
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Interesting.

Limbaugh (a big Apple user) must be having a fit over this......

• Reply 3 of 15
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Interesting.

Limbaugh (a big Apple user) must be having a fit over this......
    I'm curious to know exactly what she'll be doing. Aren't Apple's products already very environmentally friendly? Is this just to make Apple look good to a certain crowd?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Screw that! I think Apple should hire the head of Greenpeace!! /s
  • Reply 5 of 15

There's something about a solar panel array that's five times larger than the building it's serving that just feels wrong. However, it's projects like this that spurs innovation in photovoltaics to be more efficient so sometimes you just have to go through the growing pains.

• Reply 6 of 15
    nick29nick29 Posts: 111member

This floors me, but I guess a company like Apple has to pay off high ranking government officials to get the inside track. Here's a good summary of what a corrupt hack Lisa Jackson is: http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/02/epa_corruption_and_scandal.html

Whether you are liberal or conservative you should be disgusted that our elected officials are using unelected bureaucrats to lie to the public, to pass draconian regulations through un-democratic means. Let's not give these people a pass just because we also have a D or an R on our ballot.

• Reply 7 of 15
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Is this just to make Apple look good to a certain crowd?

Quite possibly. I think Apple and Cook likely care more about the environment that most large companies and CEOs, but there is clearly limited to what can and should be done. I think they've done a gret job with reducing packaging, using more recyclable materials, and energy reduction, but these all benefit their bottom line, too.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

There's something about a solar panel array that's five times larger than the building it's serving that just feels wrong. However, it's projects like this that spurs innovation in photovoltaics to be more efficient so sometimes you just have to go through the growing pains.

A lot of solar power is needed to power something small. For example, if one wanted to power their entire home, they'd need more than a few 2'x4' panels. Even an entire roof of panels would only power the home for so many hours per day. The size of Apple's building (any building/business for that matter) requires more than one might think. I think it's great that Apple is going in the right direction. Hopefully more businesses will invest in solar power (and other types) to get mostly off the electrical grid, which uses coal-burning to power the electrical power plants.

• Reply 9 of 15
    tiffanytiffany Posts: 3member
    x
  • Reply 10 of 15
    bobringerbobringer Posts: 106member

Nice... now she can create a fake MobileMe account instead of a fake GMail account in order to troll people and hide her identity... you know, like all executives are taught in business school.

• Reply 11 of 15
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    bobringer wrote: »
    Nice... now she can create a fake MobileMe account instead of a fake GMail account in order to troll people and hide her identity... you know, like all executives are taught in business school.

Haven't been to business school, have you?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    bobringerbobringer Posts: 106member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Haven't been to business school, have you?

^ Clearly has no idea what I'm talking about.  Thanks for playing.

• Reply 13 of 15
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    A good hire.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

It looks like half the solar panels are in the shade.

• Reply 15 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

It looks like half the solar panels are in the shade.

Next we'll hear that Greenpeace has declared envirowar on clouds, because they prevent the sun from hitting solar panels.