Cook: Apple sold over 6M Apple TVs in 2012, 13M since launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    I bought an Apple TV (third gen) in 2012. But I sold it when the Roku 3 came out mainly because the ATV was confining as far as third-party content is concerned and I couldn't access Amazon Prime Instant Videos. My Roku 3 does everything my Apple TV does and more (I can access pretty much the entire library of Time Warner Cable HD content using the TWC app, so I don't even need a cable box in our bedroom).

You can't change the DNS on the Roku. No sale!
  • Reply 22 of 68
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You can't change the DNS on the Roku. No sale!

Not an issue for me (I have absolutely no reason to chance the DNS), but to each his own image

• Reply 23 of 68
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

My Roku 3 does everything my Apple TV does and more ....

Really? Including your iTunes content, iTunes Match, and iPhoto?

• Reply 24 of 68
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Please use the word culture, not DNA. That's all RDF. It's called company culture, thinking, philosophy, not DNA.

http://hbr.org/2009/12/the-innovators-dna

• Reply 25 of 68
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atashi View Post

I love my Apple TV but it's starting to act up. I think the hard drive might be starting to go on it.

AppleTV hasn't got a hard drive. It's turtles all the way down.

• Reply 26 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Really? Including your iTunes content, iTunes Match, and iPhoto?

I don't use iTunes Match

All of my music is in MP3 format, and the Roku 3 scans my iTunes folder to get music

I use iPhoto, but only to view pictures from my iPhone on my MacBook Pro. I have no reason to look at pictures on my bedroom TV.

However, I should have stipulated that it does everything that "I" used my Apple TV for (streaming movies/music from my MacBook Pro) and more. An added bonus is being able to play sound through the Roku 3 remote using headphones so that I can watch TV/movies late at night without disturbing my wife. That alone is worth its weight in gold.

• Reply 27 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

AppleTV hasn't got a hard drive. It's turtles all the way down.

He has a first-gen.

It never should have dropped the hard drive.

• Reply 28 of 68
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    He has a first-gen.

That's a feature I'm glad they dropped. It was confusing for people to be able to sync their content to their Apple TV or stream. With 802.11n is decent for HD video but with 802.11ac dropping this year with Apple (educated guess) we'll see 802.11ac get very popular from other vendors after that happens.

The one thing I wished they didn't get rid of is the ability to connect to a computer via the Apple TV with Home Sharing. Instead you seemingly can only connect by inputting your Apple ID and password which gives full access to the entire library, whether you want to or not.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jhart376 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to understand why they don't market it.

Because it's basically handicapped as a standalone device. It's dependent on the user having another iDevice to reach it's full potential.
  • Reply 30 of 68

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's a feature I'm glad they dropped. It was confusing for people to be able to sync their content to their Apple TV or stream.

What's confusing is why I can't attach an iTunes Library to the network and stream directly from an AirPort device instead of being forced to have a computer turned on and iTunes open. What's confusing is splitting up the store into three icons and compressing your actual library into one.

• Reply 31 of 68
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The one thing I wished they didn't get rid of is the ability to connect to a computer via the Apple TV with Home Sharing. Instead you seemingly can only connect by inputting your Apple ID and password which gives full access to the entire library, whether you want to or not.

Is not having that option anymore the reason why people jailbreak their ATV's and install XBMC?
  • Reply 32 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Is not having that option anymore the reason why people jailbreak their ATV's and install XBMC?

I don't believe the ATV3 has a jailbreak yet IIRC.

• Reply 33 of 68
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    walshbj wrote: »
    I'm surprised they haven't started competing with Sonos. Among other reasons wireless speakers are a product many people would buy more than one of. Airplay begs for it. So what's the obstacle?

Remember the HiFi? No? Apple want you to keep it that way.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    He has a first-gen.

Glad they dropped it cause I'd need a 4TB by now.

A TV version of AppleTV has got to be waiting on content owners much the same way music and book publisher were the key. I still hope they do an external version cause I can't convert to <65".
  • Reply 35 of 68

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

…cause I can't convert to <65".

That's one of the many reasons they shouldn't waste time, money, and effort making a television.

• Reply 36 of 68
    I just hope this comings WWDC they announce a SDK FOR APPLE TV .
  • Reply 37 of 68
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    He has a first-gen.

Actually I'd rather see an Apple TV with a Thunderbolt port. Then we would have an option of a single disk or a disk array. I'm really hoping that when Apple teamed up with Intel they got the right to make their own TB silicon. Either that or they switch to an Intel processor but I can't see that happening again.
  • Reply 38 of 68
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhart376 View Post

It would be interesting to understand why they don't market it. I was in the Apple store yesterday and there was just one in the corner with a TV on a table. People who have it really like it and it ties you more into the Apple ecosystem. What about a few commercials or a better demo in the stores? What about a promotion where it is $50 with purchase of select other Apple products? My only possible guess is that they don't want too many messages out there or perhaps they want to do big marketing when the have their bigger solution and don't want to confuse the market by overly defining Apple TV now.

I think they don't market it, because the ATV they really have in mind will have a different feature set. So until this new ATV comes out, they won't market the old one, as they don't want to put off customers who bought the current ATV.

• Reply 39 of 68
    habihabi Posts: 317member

Yea appletv could be made better in so many easy ways, but when was it upgraded lastly? I mean even the software...

• Reply 40 of 68
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I went into Radio Shack the other day because I wanted to be able to hook up my iPad to flat screen TVs in various meeting rooms. For a 6' HDMI cable and the adapter for iPad to HDMI it ran about $50 each. For that I can buy an ATV and not be physically wired to the TV. 

Or, you know, you could have went to monoprice.com and got them for $10.