Full D11 interview with Apple CEO Tim Cook now available

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The full discussion with Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook and journalists Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher at the D11 conference is now available for all to stream online in its entirety.

Clocking in at an hour and 20 minutes, the wide-ranging discussion covered everything from iOS 7 to the future of wearable technology and even the environment. Cook also went into detail on Apple TV sales, shared details on acquisitions and talked about opening up more iOS functionality to developers.

Unsurprisingly, Cook offered little insight into Apple's future product road map, telling Swisher and Mossberg that he prefers giving customers the element of surprise when unveiling new devices. But his open curiosity regarding the television market, wearable devices and more will undoubtedly lead to speculation about new markets for his company to potentially enter.

Cook also discussed Apple's current "one-a-year" iPhone release strategy. Though Apple is rumored to release a low-priced iPhone this year, Cook said that to date the tradeoffs in making multiple devices have outweighed the positives of making one solid device.

This year marked the second time that a discussion with Cook kicked off the annual conference put on by AllThingsD. Last year at D10 he talked about Apple's secrecy, his interest in building Apple products in America, and the success of Apple TV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

So it is now without any doubt that Apple will release a Television set. Good. I´ll buy one.

• Reply 2 of 43

I gave it my best shot, but those interviewers are jerks. I'll stick to the highlights...

• Reply 3 of 43
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydr View Post

So it is now without any doubt that Apple will release a Television set. Good. I´ll buy one.

It will be very interesting that is for sure! If Apple builds it we know it will be great! Lets see how this all unfolds. I can't wait to get more information on it before i would consider it....

• Reply 4 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Not a single thing could possibly lead you to that conclusion.

• Reply 5 of 43
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I like Tim's answer on wearables. Seems pretty clear to me Apple isn't going to put out a wearable device (like a watch) just to scratch wall streets itch. They won't do it until they have a great product they think people will want to buy/wear.
  • Reply 6 of 43

Not a single thing could possibly lead you to that conclusion.
    I think people are fooling themselves if they think Apple's big plans in the TV space are a $99 hockey puck.
  • Reply 7 of 43

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I think people are fooling themselves if they think Apple's big plans in the TV space are a $99 hockey puck.

Fine, $199 again, then.

• Reply 8 of 43
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

I like Tim's answer on wearables. Seems pretty clear to me Apple isn't going to put out a wearable device (like a watch) just to scratch wall streets itch. They won't do it until they have a great product they think people will want to buy/wear.

I thought he did a great job in the interview. He hinted at some things but did not give too much away....The more I read about him and his answers to questions....the more I like him....

• Reply 9 of 43
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Cook said exactly what I keep telling people about a wearable, he said look at the kids 10 to 20 and none of them wear a watch. So why would you make a Watch type product, as he said unless it a must have product you are not going to convince the younger generation to wear something on their body. He even inferred glasses as well. Not too many kids wear glasses these days. They are either using contacts or getting LASIK.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandman999 View Post

I gave it my best shot, but those interviewers are jerks. I'll stick to the highlights...

It's kind of the public television TV talk show host type of behavior.

• Reply 11 of 43
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

The other point he keeps making directly and indirectly. Apple is going focus on the things that has made Apple successful all through it history. One make great products people want, and the people he is talking about is the younger generation. If you want insight into what is going to do next just look at the younger generation and see what they want and how they interact with technology. The problem is the analysis and technologist who keep saying what apple should and should not do are old and are not factoring in the younger generation.

The simple example, the ipod were first bought by kid then their parent bought them. Look at facebook, kids started using it and now you have parents using it looking to re-connect with childhood friends. The younger generation is driving the direction and the older generation adopted what the kids are doing.

• Reply 12 of 43
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Walt Mossberg & Kara Swisher are a pain to watch. They kept on hounding and hounding Tim about new products and nothing else... If you want to host a conference and invite people to talk about technology then don't be a pain in the ass. Tim handled himself well though at times you can see he is frustrated and doesn't give much of an insight in his replies... Miss the good old Sj days. I still watch those old D conferences where he made appearances every now and then.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    simtub wrote: »
    Walt Mossberg & Kara Swisher are a pain to watch. They kept on hounding and hounding Tim about new products and nothing else... If you want to host a conference and invite people to talk about technology then don't be a pain in the ass. Tim handled himself well though at times you can see he is frustrated and doesn't give much of an insight in his replies... Miss the good old Sj days. I still watch those old D conferences where he made appearances every now and then.
    An why ask him about new products when they know he's not going to comment on them.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

I think people are fooling themselves if they think AppleTV resembles a hockey puck. They have clearly never seen either. (I know this and I am not even a born and bred Canadian.)

The closest thing Apple has ever made to a hockey puck is their first USB mouse.

• Reply 15 of 43

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I think people are fooling themselves if they think AppleTV resembles a hockey puck.

"Here's to the crazy ones… the square pegs in round holes…"

• Reply 16 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Quote:

An why ask him about new products when they know he's not going to comment on them.

That's a good question. I think these "shows" are sometimes about flexing muscles - By presenting important guests who hold the keys to the present and future of technology, the presiding interviewers also (try to) present themselves as key holders, too. 

Mossberg has some street creds as a tech pundit because he actually uses a product for a meaningful period of time before penning a review. He also shows a visible degree of humility. Swisher specializes in dishing gossip, and presents herself as the cream of the technorati. She in particular has a knack for making the interview as much about her as her subject. I wonder, without Mossberg, if she has the creds to bring in the same caliber of guests.

• Reply 17 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Here's to the crazy ones… the square pegs in round holes…"

That's an interesting anal olgy.

• Reply 18 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fine, $199 again, then.

Wonder if they'd have come close to selling 13M if they stuck to their guns at $199. That's a $1.3B question.

• Reply 19 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

The other point he keeps making directly and indirectly. Apple is going focus on the things that has made Apple successful all through it history. One make great products people want, and the people he is talking about is the younger generation. If you want insight into what is going to do next just look at the younger generation and see what they want and how they interact with technology. The problem is the analysis and technologist who keep saying what apple should and should not do are old and are not factoring in the younger generation.

The simple example, the ipod were first bought by kid then their parent bought them. Look at facebook, kids started using it and now you have parents using it looking to re-connect with childhood friends. The younger generation is driving the direction and the older generation adopted what the kids are doing.

Did "kids" start using Facebook first? College students were the guinea pigs. I guess they are kids from a certain perspective. But the kids that are keeping Facebook au courant now are real kids, as in teenagers.

Furthermore, iPods became popular with adults rather fast (if not as early as kids). Lest we forget, the initial iPod wasn't cheap at $399. At that price, parents were often generous with themselves first.

• Reply 20 of 43
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    rogifan wrote: »

You can see from the many threads on AI why they do that. Every response to every question is dissected to try and turn it into news even if it's non-news, which means ad impressions.

The media has an odd obsession that has developed recently about the next revolution coming. The history of computing goes something like:

1960-1980 first steps in electronic computing
    1980-2000 personal computer revolution
    2000-2007 portable music player revolution
    2007-2010 mobile phone revolution
    2010-present tablet revolution

Now in 2013, the media is on the edge of their seats saying to Apple 'do it again, do it again, make something else magical'. Just because the pace of innovation stepped up doesn't mean a revolution has to come every 3 years or less now. These changes will happen when they figure out how to do them right and there's no set timeframe for this. The employees at Apple aren't magicians, they use the same products we do and are only aware of the same needs.

He handled the questioning very well as usual; even Kara's, which were pretty rude at times.