Cook: Apple may open select iOS APIs to third-party developers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I'm happy about the control Apple has over what developers can do. Developers are always treated like some kind of gods in the tech press and they generally don't deserve it at all.

What I'd like to see is Apple get it's finger out of it's ass in regards the moral censorship. Apple wants to be the Disney corp of the 21st century, keeping us all safe from naked bums and any religion that isn't Christian.

Censorship is wrong. It does no "good" at all. It never has.

Safari as well as many Apps in my collection (Tumblr for example) are a censor's nightmare! No need to allow MiKandi nor it's like on the App Store.

Magazines as well as books/literature are also available from 100's of other sources, and are allowed without censure of any kind from within just as many Apps.

Maybe it's you that needs to get your finger out of your ass because it's squeezing your right cranium too hard.....:rolleyes:
  • Reply 22 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    charlituna wrote: »
    As long as these are downloadable options that I can choose not to bloat up my devices with I say go for it. I still think they should be vetted by Apple, go through the App Store etc.

A great idea my cousin had was make keyboards etc downloads as needed. And things like fonts, iMovie themes, pages templates. And give more options.

She did a whole little series on ideas for iOS 7 if anyone cares to take a look.
    http://wearefangirls.blogspot.com/search/label/Apple

Your cousin has some good suggestions and a well-reasoned argument for many of them. Kudos to her. She's put a lot of thought and effort into her blog. I don't suppose you helped out as a sounding board did you?;)
  • Reply 23 of 29
    ted13ted13 Posts: 65member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But aren't private APIs becoming public APIs par for the course with their SDK?

You are exactly correct.  Apple has always done this -- there never was some sort of conspiracy to keep all the good stuff out of the hands of third party developers.  My impression was that new private APIs would stay private for one iOS major release cycle while they are being banged on internally.  If they turn out to be useful and solid, they are made public.  Not useful: they get deprecated.  Useful but with stability, design issues — they get fixed.

All Tim Cook has done was reiterate Apple's policy of the last 5 years (and much longer than that for OS X).  Now maybe there will be an acceleration of the process, some additional goodies thrown at developers (interprocess communication), but really he is telling the world what the current policy is — likely aimed towards those who pretend it doesn't exist or actively lie about it.

P.S. Why the %^%** has Appleinsider switched to this inane forum software that kills right click for spelling corrections, transformations etc? (You know have to hold down the command key to make right clicks work)  It is very, very annoying -- switch back to the old one or get a new new one that works, please!

• Reply 24 of 29
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    P.S. Why the %^%** has Appleinsider switched to this inane forum software that kills right click for spelling corrections, transformations etc? (You know have to hold down the command key to make right clicks work)  It is very, very annoying -- switch back to the old one or get a new new one that works, please!

There is a way to switch to a non-WYSIWYG text editor in the forum. How you switch escapes me right now. It is in your profile settings.

Why the new editor bothers at all, I don't know.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ted13 wrote: »
    jeffdm wrote: »
    There is a way to switch to a non-WYSIWYG text editor in the forum. How you switch escapes me right now. It is in your profile settings.

Why the new editor bothers at all, I don't know.

Pro Tip: In the the textbox of this forum you can Control+U, Control+I, and Control+B to underline, italicized and bold text using the BB Code markup.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

test t

• Reply 27 of 29
    Open up all the radio APIs (WiFi, Cell, GPS, Bluetooth) so we can collect and display maps of coverage areas, signal strength, distance to radio towers, list and locate hotspots, GPS satellite locations in the sky and even a real time Bluetooth map.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    I hope IOS 7 has 3rd party's on Siri. Like on integration of apples own documents like "open my ______ document" on pages
  • Reply 29 of 29
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    they need to allow developers to change the keyboard. The iOS keyboard is so outdated and so error prone. I like Swype or SwiftKey far much better and feels more natural.