INS and DEL

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Sorry if I'm dense, but I haven't been able to find an answer for this anywhere...

Anyone know how to send the PC equivilant of the insert and delete keys with a TiBook?

The reason I'm asking is that I hacked a copy of rconsole to run on my Mac so I can do some remote Netware administration (it's my job)...anyhow, it works pretty well, except that some of the things I need to do require those keystrokes to be sent and I can't figure out if it's even possible.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    try a modifier key like command, alt, ctrl, shift with the normal delete function.

what's that INS function for anyway?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    DEL is the "fn" key plus the "delete" key

INS I have no clue what it even does on a regular keyboard. So short of getting an external keyboard or following defiant's advice, you are screwed!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I'll have to give the fn + delete thing a try...unfortuantely, the insert key is more important.

In Netware, the insert key acts as an "add" key. It lets you add bindings to network boards and other such fun things.

I'll have to try an external keyboard and see what happens.

As for what the insert key is for normally, in windows/dos, it toggles between typing over text and inserting type between characters - if that makes any sense.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Colby2000:

<strong>As for what the insert key is for normally, in windows/dos, it toggles between typing over text and inserting type between characters - if that makes any sense.</strong><hr></blockquote>

sadly it does...I have accidentally pressed this button many times in my HS and lost like entire paragraphs of text as I didnt realize i was overwriting until i looked up at the monitor... oh well HS is over!

try the "fn" key and some of the characters on the right hand side of the keyboard, you never know... maybe the =+ key
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Well, the good news is that the DELETE thing works...

Unfortunately, I can't get INSERT to work...

Anyone know of an app that can generate keystrokes or some such magical stuff?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I am clueless if this is meaningful.

If I open a window on my UNIX workstation from my Mac, type an INS, and then dump it I get "[ 2 ~".

[ 11-15-2002: Message edited by: MrBillData ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 8
    also try screweing with the key caps application in the utilities folder...

look in the help menu, maybe there is something there....