AT&T expands 4G LTE coverage to 16 new US markets

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In another 16 markets, users of Apple's iPhone 5 and LTE-enabled iPads will now find that their devices are able to access much greater speeds, as AT&T has taken its 4G LTE coverage live in more areas across the U.S.

4g

Customers in assorted markets in Arizona, Delaware, Maryland, North Carolina, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Washington will now be able to access AT&T's high-speed data network. This latest rollout is part of a larger effort on the part of AT&T to expand its network to 79 new markets over the course of the summer.

AT&T's 4G LTE network provides data speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G. In recent tests, PC World found AT&T's network, which covers 288 million people across the United States, to be the fastest among all providers in terms of download speeds.

The markets now able to access 4G LTE connections are as follows:
  • Asheville, N.C.
  • Casa Grande, Ariz.
  • Culpepper, Va.
  • Dover, Del.
  • Fredericksburg, Va.
  • Goldsboro, N.C.
  • Leonardtown, Md.
  • Linglestown, Pa.
  • Longview, Wash.
  • Ocean City, Md.
  • Port Townsend-North Whidbey Island-Camano Island, Wash.
  • Prince Frederick and Calvert County, Md.
  • Roanoke, Va.
  • Salem, Ore.
  • Schenectady, N.Y.
  • Shelton, Wash.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    Just got LTE in Red Bank, NJ and I'm sorry we did. It's only a few megs faster according to speedtest.net (cant really tell while surfing) but my iphone 5 is dead by mid afternoon, whereas it would last a day and a half with just "the other 4G". Maybe they're still tweaking it?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Just got LTE in Red Bank, NJ and I'm sorry we did. It's only a few megs faster according to speedtest.net (cant really tell while surfing) but my iphone 5 is dead by mid afternoon, whereas it would last a day and a half with just "the other 4G". Maybe they're still tweaking it?

Something is horribly wrong, then. LTE just launched in Aiken, SC where I live, and it went from 8 mbps to 50 mbps. Huge difference. And I don't notice a hit to my battery life at all.

Now, that said, there's an easy battery fix for you. Go into your settings, choose General, then Cellular Data. Turn off LTE, and now you're back to always using 4G.

• Reply 3 of 18
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

They need better coverage where they already have LTE. If I stand in my front yard I only have one bar of 4G. If I stand in my back yard I have one bar of LTE. That is with no buildings or other obstructions nearby. If I go inside my house I have zero bars of No Service. This is in the center of one of SoCal's most densely populated areas. A few miles away I get fantastic signal. They just don't seem to have enough towers.

• Reply 4 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

...Go into your settings, choose General, then Cellular Data. Turn off LTE, and now you're back to always using 4G.

This is also the fix for cases where you want to control your data usage.  I find that LTE downloads all the advertising (and other) videos faster than I can close them or before I decide to stop watching, and so the data gets used and wasted.

• Reply 5 of 18
    Got LTE in Castle Pines, CO 37Mbps download :)
  • Reply 6 of 18
    kindredmackindredmac Posts: 153member
    Funny... I just noticed last night that LTE popped up on my iPhone 5 and iPad 4 at my home in Schenectady and thought we were in a skip from Albany. I was googling all night to see if AT&T had released a press release and nothing... until NOW that is!

About fricking time is all I have to say!

Oh! and Facetime is active on Cell now too for me (grandfathered)!
  • Reply 7 of 18
    BuffyzDeadBuffyzDead Posts: 356member

Quote:

Could Not Disagree with you more !!     ....maybe it's where you are standing.

Just two Monday's ago, LTE went live in my area south of Red Bank, Point Pleasant Boro, NJ, on my iPhone 5.

.....I just did a speed test on my iPhone 5 with LTE

44.30 Mbps Down and 12.52 Mbps up     ...Love It !!!

Oh, ....and No discernible difference, battery-wise, at all.

• Reply 8 of 18
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    mstone wrote: »
    They need better coverage where they already have LTE. If I stand in my front yard I only have one bar of 4G. If I stand in my back yard I have one bar of LTE. That is with no buildings or other obstructions nearby. If I go inside my house I have zero bars of No Service. This is in the center of one of SoCal's most densely populated areas. A few miles away I get fantastic signal. They just don't seem to have enough towers.
    Without my 3G microcell I would be dead in the water inside my home, but I have noticed the carriers are adding micro-cells to power poles around the south-bay which is making marginal improvements; two bars where there used to be none.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Without my 3G microcell I would be dead in the water inside my home, but I have noticed the carriers are adding micro-cells to power poles around the south-bay which is making marginal improvements; two bars where there used to be none.

What's a power pole? image Just kidding. So nice having everything underground...

• Reply 10 of 18
    YEAH in my TOWN Culpeper has LTE - I had t-mo for 7 years and had it with Edge - so i switched to AT&T and was happy with there "4g" heck i was happy to just get 3G - but LTE is a nice touch!
  • Reply 11 of 18
    timusca wrote: »
    Now, that said, there's an easy battery fix for you. Go into your settings, choose General, then Cellular Data. Turn off LTE, and now you're back to always using 4G.

Lol, I knew about that already- I was just pointing out about how fast it's draining my 5, that's all. But thanks for letting me know in case didn't, there may be others that didn't know who do now.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member

Quote:

I agree that the coverage is spotty around here--only one bar of LTE in Middletown or Red Bank.  But I did get 5 mbps down and up on my iPad which is nothing spectacular, but better than before.  

I assume since they still have not announced coverage for Central NJ they are still building it out and it will improve soon.

I haven't noticed any adverse battery issues, I will have to pay attention to that!

• Reply 13 of 18
    BuffyzDead wrote: »
    Could Not Disagree with you more !!     ....maybe it's where you are standing.

Just two Monday's ago, LTE went live in my area south of Red Bank, Point Pleasant Boro, NJ, on my iPhone 5.

.....I just did a speed test on my iPhone 5 with LTE

44.30 Mbps Down and 12.52 Mbps up     ...Love It !!!

Oh, ....and No discernible difference, battery-wise, at all.
    It's great up in Woodbridge also for me. I think it may just be this tower. Pt Pleasant isn't close enough to use the same towers I would think. They've been advertising LTE at the Shore for weeks now so your area's probably been a priority. I haven't seen Red Bank on the announcement list so maybe it's still being worked on. It's a pretty decent-sized town so I'd imagine it'd have it's own spot on a list.

For those who don't know what Red Bank is, think "Jay and Silent Bob". Yeah, that place lol.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    no25no25 Posts: 16member
    Still have edge here in Stevens Point WI
  • Reply 15 of 18
    iyfcalviniyfcalvin Posts: 79member

I was pleasantly surprised, yesterday I noticed they turned Spokane, Wa on too where i live, even though it wasn't on the list!  Unfortunately, by my house it's still 4G, but at the office, I just got a download speed of 52 mbps down! That's the fastest LTE speed I have ever gotten. The previous best was 49 mbps in Las Vegas and 29 mbps in Seattle.

• Reply 16 of 18
    I know this is dead thread by now but in case anyone is following it, as of today LTE is giving me about 30 Megs in Red Bank, NJ now and my battery seems to be back to normal.

The purpose of me telling you this is that it seems that it could take up to 2 weeks for AT&T to tweak the tech once they flip the switch for LTE.
  • Reply 17 of 18

I just noticed LTE popped up on my phone yesterday but it is very spotty and goes in and out.  This is brand new in my area(central Fl.) and I hope it gets faster as well.  It is less than 10mb down and 2mb up.  Everything I've read seems to say it takes a couple of weeks for AT&T to tweak once the switch is thrown.  I sure hope so because I'm not very impressed right now.  And yes, my battery only lasted 1/2 the day which was a significant difference than before.  I'll update it a couple of weeks to see if it changes like it did for some posting on here.

• Reply 18 of 18
    dengood1 wrote: »
    I just noticed LTE popped up on my phone yesterday but it is very spotty and goes in and out.  This is brand new in my area(central Fl.) and I hope it gets faster as well.  It is less than 10mb down and 2mb up.  Everything I've read seems to say it takes a couple of weeks for AT&T to tweak once the switch is thrown.  I sure hope so because I'm not very impressed right now.  And yes, my battery only lasted 1/2 the day which was a significant difference than before.  I'll update it a couple of weeks to see if it changes like it did for some posting on here.
    Yeah please do. I'm planning on heading down to Sarasota at some point n I'm curious how it is down there, if that's what u mean by central FL. Or Orlando?